Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked. Approvals are done at least once per day, but they can't be done for accounts that have not verified their email address.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any reason been discovered for the removal of the "La-La" track at Disneyland in 1976? It seems strange it got removed so early on while Florida kept their's until the Re-Haunting and Tokyo has actually made that track one of the most prominent Graveyard tracks.

Comment

• Whatever the specific reason was seems la-la-long forgotten.
      "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Has anyone come to a consensus on how the hatbox effect is achieved today? I've noticed two light sources that seem to be at a distance to project a 3D image on maybe a curved glass screen within the box itself, facing our direction... sort of like the 3DS screens but on a curved surface? Or is it just something else that gives the head dimensionality? Or am I just late to the party?

Comment

• Originally posted by GameNBurger View Post
          Has anyone come to a consensus on how the hatbox effect is achieved today? I've noticed two light sources that seem to be at a distance to project a 3D image on maybe a curved glass screen within the box itself, facing our direction... sort of like the 3DS screens but on a curved surface? Or is it just something else that gives the head dimensionality? Or am I just late to the party?
          Yeah, it didn't take long to figure him out. Here's what I wrote about it in a comment at the LF blog:

The head on the shoulders is a molded face, like a mask, with a rear-projected image and real hair on the two sides. As the projector switches off, the face drops down and back between the shoulders, turtle-like. It's too dark inside his collar there to see anything once it's down, as everything's painted black (the "black art well" trick). Some of the youtube videos are in slow motion, and you can plainly see the head shooting back. As it does so, a spotlight comes on that plays down the front from the shoulders to the knees (approximately) before breaking up. If you happen to detect the face's withdrawal (or even if you don't), the face and that spotlight seem to be one and the same thing, giving the illusion that his face mysteriously transports through his body. It's ingenious that if perchance you notice the face withdrawing, it looks like it's part of the show.

The hatbox is classic Yale Gracey-type trickery. Most of the front is taken up with a window composed of scrim (?) or something like it. A two-way mirror bisects the interior. What looks to the eye like the back half of the interior is simply the front half reflected. The face is right behind the mirror, and when it lights up, you can see it (exactly like the original HHG mirror gag). Because outside of the lit-up face the mirror is still functioning as a mirror, it looks for all the world like the head is floating in three-dimensional space in the center.
          Additional observations have only strengthened this explanation, so I stand by it as firmly as ever.

Comment

• Hatbox Ghost easter egg in the updated Autopia queue as part of their "ASIMO and his pet robot bird go on a roadtrip" story.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
            sigpic
            Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post

Yeah, it didn't take long to figure him out. Here's what I wrote about it in a comment at the LF blog:

Additional observations have only strengthened this explanation, so I stand by it as firmly as ever.
              Interestingly enough, either the face in the hatbox is also projected onto a head, or I was seeing things, but on my last ride through there was just a blank face in there, similar to how the face looks when the projection and head motion desyncs.

Comment

• It's rear-projected, like the one on his shoulders.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                  It's rear-projected, like the one on his shoulders.
                  Good, I wasn't just seeing things after all.

Comment

• The lower-rear of the hatbox has a bulky, boxy projection, no doubt necessary to house the projector that projects the face. It shows up clearly in this officially-released photo:

Comment

• That makes sense, I actually forgot all about that video.

Comment

• Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                        Hatbox Ghost easter egg in the updated Autopia queue as part of their "ASIMO and his pet robot bird go on a roadtrip" story.

Nice catch.

Comment

• Eddie Sotto posted a previously unknown (?) concept art for the Jean Lafitte / HM Mega Theme on his personal Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/boss_angeles/sta...99345739804672
                          Last edited by DRF; 03-29-2017, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRF View Post
                            Eddie Sotto posted a previously unknown (?) concept art for the Jean Lafitte / HM Mega Theme on his personal Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/boss_angeles/sta...99345739804672
                            VERY cool. I've added that to the popular "Jean Lafitte" post at LF.

Comment

• Wander into The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland's New Orleans Square and you will now notice a small addition to its winding queue. Tucked in the back corner

Comment

• Interesting. Possibly covers a CM phone or stores MaxPass scanning equipment?
                                "In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X