Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure how many baseball fans are lurking here, but last night in the bottom of the second inning of the World Series, Astros catcher Brian McCann went to the mound to talk to pitcher Justin Verlander and the Dodger stadium organist started playing our favorite refrain from the Mansion. I'm guessing that because last night was Halloween played a big part in the selection. It definitely brought a smile to my face.

Comment

• Originally posted by sourdough View Post
      I'm not sure how many baseball fans are lurking here, but last night in the bottom of the second inning of the World Series, Astros catcher Brian McCann went to the mound to talk to pitcher Justin Verlander and the Dodger stadium organist started playing our favorite refrain from the Mansion. I'm guessing that because last night was Halloween played a big part in the selection. It definitely brought a smile to my face.
      I think the stadium organist has been doing a great job recently. I noticed it too! They've also played the Imperial March, the Pac-Man theme song, and a few other iconic ones. This one is obviously better than the rest, though

Comment

• Rest in peace Paul Frees! It's been 31 years since we lost you. You're the "Ghost Host" for Disneyland Haunted Mansion and the Narrator for Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln; no offense Corey Burton.

Comment

• I've noticed two things on my last few trips. One, that Pickwick (on the ballroom chandelier) is missing. Maybe he's getting some rest and rehab during the holiday overlay. Two, the pop-up ghosts in the graveyard seem to be achieving greater heights than what we've become used to. Before, the heads barely got more than halfway exposed over the top of the tombstones. Old blastie is the exception as he barely seems to get above his crypt. Some more spirit lube, if you please ...

Comment

• Originally posted by sourdough View Post
            I'm not sure how many baseball fans are lurking here, but last night in the bottom of the second inning of the World Series, Astros catcher Brian McCann went to the mound to talk to pitcher Justin Verlander and the Dodger stadium organist started playing our favorite refrain from the Mansion. I'm guessing that because last night was Halloween played a big part in the selection. It definitely brought a smile to my face.
            Hope someone can find a video of it!
            temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• So, maybe something of interest to the folks here.

In August I was passing through Albany and made a detour to check out where the "real" Haunted Mansion was. Which is to say, the plot of land owned by Joel Rathbone where the gothic villa he had constructed in 1840 eventually ended up inspiring the design of the facade at MK. It wasn't tough to find, because the two major roads in use in the 1840s are today 9W and Route 32. It's on the south side of Albany, on a high hill not far from the Hudson. On the north side of the property is a small river known as "Norman's Kill" (Kill being Dutch for "Creek") which sits deep in a rocky ravine. Where the driveway to the villa once was there is now a Cumberland Farm gas station.

A lot can change in 180 years, but to me, based on the engravings we had of the place, it seems likely to me that the side facing the two roads was the entrance side, with what was then known as the "prospect" side facing out towards Albany. Much of the property is a rocky gorge falling steeply down into Norman's Kill, meaning the house can't have been set too far back into what is now woods behind the gas station. If Rathbone had a handful of trees felled on the north end of property, he likely would've had an unencumbered view of Albany on high from the house. I'm willing to bet this is why the house has that central tower, in fact.

Whereas the view from Albany of the house would have looked more or less how the Haunted Mansion actually looks from Liberty Square: this gothic brick thing sitting up on a hill overlooking the town. Totally accidental on WDI's part, but now you can look at that view and say, "that was real, once".

Comment

• VERY cool. It would be interesting to do some archaeology in there. I'm sure there would be some bits and pieces, remnants of the old building or its occupants. I don't suppose you took any photos?

Speaking of photos, old pix of the Fort Wilderness cemetery keep popping up, and yes, the current post at LF has been updated again.
                "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

• Fellow Micechat member Joe mentioned the book on the stand and asked if anyone knew what it was turned to. I thought I remembered seeing it addressed in this thread, but I couldn't seem to find it in a search. Apologies if it has been brought up before, but does anyone know what it is/turned to/significance? See quote below

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post

Also on the Haunted Mansion, in the hallway after the conservatory in the area where all the doors are, there is a small stand with a book on it. It's flipped open, but it's awfully dark in here. I wonder what book it is and if it's flipped to those pages for a reason. Anyone know?

Comment

• I've never seen any information about what the original book was, or what it was opened to, but the book that is there now is reportedly Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Comment

• Eddie Sotto just left a comment at the LF blog on the current post, explaining how and why the "Unknown Guest" photo-op grave behind Fort Wilderness was replaced in 1981 with "Unknown Remains, Found 1805." It's a cute story, as Rolly would have said.

Also, we've hit 2 million views (!). There'll be a new post coming soon.

Comment

• Only 28 more days (4 weeks) to go until Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday shuts down to become the Haunted Mansion. It's probably the greatest day in the year for The Haunted Mansion.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X