• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RegionsBeyond
    Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
    • Feb 2007

[Other] The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

For the convenience of foolish mortals and happy haunts, all, here is a listing of the previous editions of The Thread:

1.Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

2.Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

3. Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3

4. Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

5. Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

6. Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Part 6: A Prequel in Time, The Unrelenting

Welcome, foolish mortals, once more....I do hope it is not minded I got the ball rolling (sorry, Temple of the Forbidden Eye) on this newest incarnation of The Thread in it's latest corporeal form.

It has been a delight and honor to participate in this epic series of threads thus far, and thank you to everyone....still active and wandered away....who has shared and contributed to them. And now, to start us off: the subject of the statuary on the Mansion's grounds. I choose not to delve into the residents of the "pet cemetery", myself, in this instance.

I have noticed, however, in the "fastpass garden" (seldom used for the stated purpose), one of the statues is photographed far less than the others. And this includes my own photos: I have taken seemingly one shot of it, and not a very good one either.

Let's run through them, shall we?

First off, there is the shy gargoyle atop the entry pillar....

(my photo)

By user "Quadfire" on deviantART: really? by ~Quadfire on deviantART

by user "amithystblade" on dA: One of those days by *amithystblade on deviantART

Nest up, we have the very glower-y bust I call Horatio.

(both photos mine)

After him (and he is rather creepy, isn't he?), we have the sort of standard "aloof woman holding flowers", a more standard garden statue type (we can call her Eliza)

My personal favorite of my own Mansion grounds photo represents her:

(all photos mine)

After her, there is the most widely-photographed statue I call "The Hooded Watcher":

(photos mine)

This is followed by the one I mention as being somewhat neglected: The Griffin

(photo mine)

By user "minystock" on dA (Griffin statue by ~minystock on deviantART)

It seems a little curious to me why this one is passed over. True, it isn't a showy piece, but it is centrally located right as you enter, and it is larger than all the rest. Perhaps it is a cousin to the staircase guardian griffins inside? One can imagine it's head slowly turning to watch as people enter the garden...or I can, at any rate...

Outside the "garden", there is one other statue of note, and a interesting case it is, to me anyway.

As part of the pet cemetery, but placed higher up and visible from the back queue, you will find this carving...

(photo mine)

It is close to the rest, I believe, but you can see it from the rear switchback area the best as I recall..did it migrate? It is another of the seldom-photographed elements, or perhaps less endearing than the quirkier/comical statues in the main pet plot...

By user "BugSaysMeep" on dA: Raven Statue by ~BugSaysMeep on deviantART

By user "iGoBrullen" on dA: Flying Stone by ~iGoBrullen on deviantART

That concludes this post, and just a little, relaxing, slow intro to the new Thread...I am glad to be here, and look forward to all that trickles in, in the days and weeks to come. Hope it is alright with all I got this started...there's no turning back, now....

*(on a side note, that photo always makes me wish perhaps the Mansion entrance was more like this...a bit more ominous yet simple. But of course, shall not complain of the current setup...it works very well indeed)
    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 03-17-2022, 10:03 PM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....
  • Grinning Ghost
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2006

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Lovely new photos. Thank you.
    temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• Datameister
      =)
      • Aug 2005

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Woo hoo, Thread 7! :yea:

Comment

• CaitlinMcFly
        now that i see you ♥
        • Jan 2007

Yay, I'm not late to this one like I am to everything else!!
        I'm quite a shutterbug*, and my photos are made even more impressive by the fact that my camera is quite the dinosaur with very few changes I can make to settings, even on manual. (*Note: I'm not a photographer. I just like taking cool pictures because I'm a hipster like that. If I get a better camera, THEN I'll maybe change the title.)
        I had a series of photos that I adored of the FP garden, but they have mysteriously disappeared from my camera it seems. The only one that remains is this one, slightly blurry because I can't get my ISO below 50:

This isn't at all to steal RB's photographic thunder, btw. I just haven't put that picture up anywhere yet and wanted to share
        dreams. come. true.

Comment

• HBG2
          Inhospitable about happy
          • May 2006

I don't really know if there's a need for a Thread 7, since I think we've talked about everything there is to talk about. Realistically, we need to face the fact that the well is running dry, and I can't imagine how we could run about another 2000 posts on the Haunted Mansion.

:lol: :lmao: :roll:

And don't forget the announcement which is now buried back there in the bowels of T6:

Friday, June 25th, 10 a.m., in front of the DL HM. I'm looking forward to meeting whomever is able to show up. I'm still hoping we'll have enough people to constitute a separate group for a ride-thru. That would be too, too perfect.
          "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog..

Comment

• Pirateheatther
            New MiceChatter
            • Oct 2006

I love this thanks for sharing

Comment

• RegionsBeyond
              Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I like it, CMcF...it definitely has atmosphere Good stuff.

And who knows, this may not make another 2,000 posts...but I am fairly certain certain things may crop up to talk about/obsess over, even if it be just current Mansion photos or small tidbits of spooky goodness on the peripheral edges of Mansionness...that would be fine with me, anything else is gravy

Comment

• RegionsBeyond
                Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pirateheatther View Post
                I love this thanks for sharing
                My pleasure, and welcome, (I believe) first-time HM Thread poster! If you dig the Mansion, do "drop in" now and again...if the previous six (!) are any indicator, there shall be much interesting to see over time...

Comment

• CaitlinMcFly
                  now that i see you ♥
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
                  Friday, June 25th, 10 a.m., in front of the DL HM. I'm looking forward to meeting whomever is able to show up. I'm still hoping we'll have enough people to constitute a separate group for a ride-thru. That would be too, too perfect.
                  I'm so there, I already know what I'm wearing. You laugh. You don't know.
                  dreams. come. true.

Comment

• Datameister
                    =)
                    • Aug 2005

I don't know yet if I'll be able be able to make that particular meeting, but if it's at all possible, I'll be there. And I will definitely ensure that I run into as many of you as possible if that doesn't work out...

Comment

• HMfanatic
                      • May 2006

GRD - in reference to the Gallery's whispering gargoyles, was it my imagination or can these guys also be heard going ''Shhhh..." when we first enter the room and just before the GH actually begins speaking? I know on occasion you hear the butler/maid or other guests shushing people but this time it sounded a bit more as though it was something recorded to my ears.

Comment

• nojarama
                        hatbox ghost believer
                        • Jul 2005

Went to the park yesterday, and rode our fave 3 times. I tried desperately to focus on lining up the "Spiderweb" with the where the hole in the wall should be, but couldn't quite figure it out. I'm sure it's possible, but I can't prove it.
                        Jon A. Leslie
                        nojarama
                        http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

• Garfieldo
                          Nothin's gonna stop us!
                          • Sep 2007

I visited the mansion again an hour ago. Despite crouching over as far down as humanly possible, I couldn't get it to line up with my line of sight. However, I suppose it may be possible if the gun was at an angle. I'll ride again later today and tilt my head!

Oh, and hooray for thread 7!

Comment

• TheHatboxGhost
                            Larger Than (After)Life
                            • Jun 2009

LOL! I love that "Hatbox Ghost" is included among the tags for this new thread.

(Waves. Head vanishes.)

Comment

• allycat
                              New MiceChatter
                              • May 2010

Hello ,been a recent lurker of these threads as i just discovered them here. Thought i would post that today i rode the MK-HM.Man its looking and sounding better then ever somehow. Anyway i did notice a cemetary pop up
                              ghost resembling the HBG.

And from all I've learned from you guys ,i kept my head on a swivel trying to spot some of the things u all have pointed out.

well,thats all for now...

Comment

• explodingboy
                                • Jan 2010

Meeting up?

Comment

• allycat
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • May 2010

Originally posted by HMfanatic View Post
                                  GRD - in reference to the Gallery's whispering gargoyles, was it my imagination or can these guys also be heard going ''Shhhh..." when we first enter the room and just before the GH actually begins speaking? I know on occasion you hear the butler/maid or other guests shushing people but this time it sounded a bit more as though it was something recorded to my ears.
                                  I think its more of a HISS in the east coast HM.May be a SHH.

Comment

• RegionsBeyond
                                    Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
                                    • Feb 2007

Going to wander off the beaten track now a bit, but there is no doubt the HM can cast a rather long shadow, or that it's archetypes are echoed even unknowingly at times in the "haunted house" genre...

The bride with candle image is no clincher, on it's own, especially as she is still among the mortal realm, nor are the watching eyes in the doorway (however familiar they may look), but together, who knows? The image is rather a typical one...the living, lovely maiden who was stalked by death!....which had echoes in the earliest Haunted Mansion treatments, and was later more fully utilized in Phantom Manor.

Wikipedia has this to say about Secrets of Sinister House: Secrets of Sinister House was a horror-suspense anthology comic book series published by DC Comics from 1972–1974, a companion to Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion.

Definitely after the opening of Disneyland's HM, then, so might be more than coincidence, though I think it likely just a random confluence of disparate, unrelated elements. Just for fun, here is the cover of the mentioned Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion:

Comment

• Mr.Fenwright
                                      Mr. Ghost
                                      • Apr 2009

That bird sculpture on the switchback queue, near the pet cemetery looked like a falcon or hawk to me when I visited. Now here's whats interesting, but probably not related, The falcon or hawk is used in ancient Egyptian mythology as a guide or transport to take souls to the afterlife. I doubt it was put there to represent Horus, maybe it was just a good visual.
                                      The Mystery of Fenwright Manor

TFMYY
                                      ​​​​​​
                                      The Haunted Library

Comment

• BassBone
                                        is too darn hot.
                                        • Mar 2007

Ahoy threadsters. Just making my mark. I hope I can go on June 25th.
                                        The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X