Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

For the convenience of foolish mortals and happy haunts, all, here is a listing of the previous editions of The Thread:

T1: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...on-effect.html

T2: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...hread-2-a.html

T3: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...hread-3-a.html

T4: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...-new-hope.html

T5: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...hread-5-a.html

T6: http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...relenting.html

Welcome, foolish mortals, once more....I do hope it is not minded I got the ball rolling (sorry, Temple of the Forbidden Eye) on this newest incarnation of The Thread in it's latest corporeal form.

It has been a delight and honor to participate in this epic series of threads thus far, and thank you to everyone....still active and wandered away....who has shared and contributed to them. And now, to start us off: the subject of the statuary on the Mansion's grounds. I choose not to delve into the residents of the "pet cemetery", myself, in this instance.

I have noticed, however, in the "fastpass garden" (seldom used for the stated purpose), one of the statues is photographed far less than the others. And this includes my own photos: I have taken seemingly one shot of it, and not a very good one either.

Let's run through them, shall we?

First off, there is the shy gargoyle atop the entry pillar....

(my photo)

By user "Quadfire" on deviantART: really? by ~Quadfire on deviantART

by user "amithystblade" on dA: One of those days by *amithystblade on deviantART

Nest up, we have the very glower-y bust I call Horatio.

(both photos mine)

After him (and he is rather creepy, isn't he?), we have the sort of standard "aloof woman holding flowers", a more standard garden statue type (we can call her Eliza)

My personal favorite of my own Mansion grounds photo represents her:

(all photos mine)

After her, there is the most widely-photographed statue I call "The Hooded Watcher":

(photos mine)

This is followed by the one I mention as being somewhat neglected: The Griffin

(photo mine)

By user "minystock" on dA (Griffin statue by ~minystock on deviantART)

It seems a little curious to me why this one is passed over. True, it isn't a showy piece, but it is centrally located right as you enter, and it is larger than all the rest. Perhaps it is a cousin to the staircase guardian griffins inside? One can imagine it's head slowly turning to watch as people enter the garden...or I can, at any rate...

Outside the "garden", there is one other statue of note, and a interesting case it is, to me anyway.

As part of the pet cemetery, but placed higher up and visible from the back queue, you will find this carving...

(photo mine)

It is close to the rest, I believe, but you can see it from the rear switchback area the best as I recall..did it migrate? It is another of the seldom-photographed elements, or perhaps less endearing than the quirkier/comical statues in the main pet plot...

By user "BugSaysMeep" on dA: Raven Statue by ~BugSaysMeep on deviantART

By user "iGoBrullen" on dA: Flying Stone by ~iGoBrullen on deviantART

That concludes this post, and just a little, relaxing, slow intro to the new Thread...I am glad to be here, and look forward to all that trickles in, in the days and weeks to come. Hope it is alright with all I got this started...there's no turning back, now....

*(on a side note, that photo always makes me wish perhaps the Mansion entrance was more like this...a bit more ominous yet simple. But of course, shall not complain of the current setup...it works very well indeed)
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM.

• HBG2
    replied
    Well, the DisneyParks blog has announced DL's plans for celebrating the HM 50th. You'll notice that the author of the article hails from the Merchandising division, and believe me it shows. Looks like the same people responsible for the 40th and 45th Annys. The Imagineers at WDI get their share of criticism, but they are wall-to-wall Walt clones compared to the Merch clowns. The events they sponsor are indescribably cheesy affairs, obviously and cynically geared to suck as much money out of your pockets as they possibly can. They have a low opinion of HM fans but a high opinion of the money they're carrying. To show you how clueless these guys are, check out this:

That's from an earlier version of the post, since taken down. They actually think there are HM fans so enamored of Cap'n Clyne that they'll pay $60 for the chance to "sponsor" him at an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of the original DL ride. I don't suppose a single person involved in this is aware of the fact that this character (aka the Mariner) is not now and never has been part of the Disneyland HM, to say nothing of the fact that he's read here entirely through the very specific prism of the queue at WDW. These ignoramuses will probably be sincerely baffled when they find that there are a bunch of unsold Cap'n Clynes left over after the event.

I literally wouldn't go to this event if they paid me to be there.
    You never know what strange things will materialize when happy haunts are involved. It’s been a couple of years now (though it feels like 50) since I’ve had the chance to write, or in this case “ghost” write for the Disney Parks Blog, and

Leave a comment:

• Emrakul
    replied
    Originally posted by Kreepy Karl View Post

Balance is everything.
    It has to look natural but also have enough light to make it possible to see the details. It would also be nice if they could make the emergency lighted signs more discrete.

My broad point was the balance between updating to make things relevant to the modern audience while keeping the charm or the original. Some rides have gone extinct because they were no longer relevant to the times. I don't think that is the case with the Haunted Mansion but I don't have any proof of that.
    I don't think HM is irrelevent. The theme isn't "dated" (Tomorrowland Attractions), and the effects still hold up after all these years (god bless Pepper and his ghost!), and it's not mechically poor (Flying Saucers, Rocket Rods).

It's a horror attraction that has a unique blend of scary/funny, and with special effect to reinforce it. The audio still holds up after all these years and the Omnimovers feed and spit out guest like a assembly line. The Haunted Mansion isn't just propped up by the people here who go in depth, there's a reason why each park has some "HM" equivalent (even if its China versions are different for cultural/legal reasons).
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Fenwright
    replied
    My first attempt to draw Madame Leota, in this drawing, she looks like Grayson Hall

Leave a comment:

• Scream! Or Sugar?
    replied
    Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
    For those following the Phantom Manor changes, here's a 2017 v. 2019 side-by-side video.

Is the ride brighter now or are low-light consumer cameras simply better than they were two years ago?

It's definitely brighter. All the new lighting (except for the flickering ones) are LEDs, so my guess is WDI is still in the process of adjusting the levels properly compared to where they were with the old lamps prior to refurb. Important to note though that 4K cameras are more light sensitive than the human eye, so it will appear brighter on video.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Fenwright
    replied
    I don't know how I feel about the changes to Phantom Manor, but with all The "Henry Ravenswood is the Phantom" stuff, I have to say it takes away some of the mystery.

Leave a comment:

• HM999
    replied
    I really love the new lighting in the catacombs/Phantom Canyon scene. Also, the final Phantom figure is extremely well-articulated and realistic. I love how he looks at the Doombuggies that have already passed him. The Boudoir scene with the Phantom in the mirror is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• bigcatrik
    replied
    For those following the Phantom Manor changes, here's a 2017 v. 2019 side-by-side video.

Is the ride brighter now or are low-light consumer cameras simply better than they were two years ago?

Leave a comment:

• Thaddeus Twain
    replied
    Originally posted by HMF View Post
    That was fast.
    Or it may simply confirm the rumors that the HM organ music was only used as a placeholder while they fixed a last-minute technical problem. Nice as would be is to think that the Imagineers would react this quickly to fan outcry, that's where my money is.

At any rate, and completely unrelatedly, does anyone have a higher-res picture of Marc Davis's Monster Ghosts concept art? I know HBG2 has one up on the Gus, the 2000-Year-Old-Man post, but it's very heavily cropped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	monsterghostsmarcdavis.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	8586432

Leave a comment:

• HMF
    replied
    Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Apparently they backtracked on the Ballroom music and brought the old music back.

https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/1124215356183150592

That was fast.

Leave a comment:

• FigmentJedi
    replied
    Apparently they backtracked on the Ballroom music and brought the old music back.

https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/1124215356183150592

Originally posted by HMF View Post

Rather pointless move considering those films are fading from the public memory.
    Also noticed a lot of unnecessary moves to bring the ride into conformity with the other Mansions which I personally frown upon. Personally, I think it's Fitz trying to put his mark on another of his arch-rival Tony's masterpieces.
    Love 'em or hate 'em, I'd say the original Pirates trilogy has become part of the pantheon of live-action Disney classics.

Leave a comment:

• HM999
    replied
    English translation of the new dialogue is here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...5#post-8673370

Leave a comment:

• HMF
    replied
    Amongst the new paintings is the replacement of the old Flying Dutchman in a storm painting with the Flying Dutchman from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
    Rather pointless move considering those films are fading from the public memory.
    Also noticed a lot of unnecessary moves to bring the ride into conformity with the other Mansions which I personally frown upon. Personally, I think it's Fitz trying to put his mark on another of his arch-rival Tony's masterpieces.
    Last edited by HMF; 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thaddeus Twain
    replied
    That's… weird. Is Jean Lafitte on the rise or what?

Leave a comment:

• FigmentJedi
    replied
    Amongst the new paintings is the replacement of the old Flying Dutchman in a storm painting with the Flying Dutchman from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Leave a comment:

• HM999
    replied
    Here's a better POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdYZXHULTg
    A mixed bag.

Leave a comment:

• Wandering Optimist
    replied
    Phantom Manor seems to be in soft openings, the Vincent Price narration's back and some new effects are peppered throughout. Music was definitely changed in a few places which sucks.

Leave a comment:

• FigmentJedi
    replied
    Originally posted by HBG2 View Post
    Also, the PM will have more of a HM ambiance than it used to have. Possibly this is due to a puzzling, irrational, but apparently irresistible drive at WDI to homogenize the rides, such as we have seen in the unnecessary Disneylandification of the Orlando HM, a phenomenon which Foxxy has well-chronicled and well-lamented at the Passport to Dreams blog. Here again, a milder strain of the same virus seems to have crossed the Atlantic.
    Speaking of which, there's reports from CM previews that the refurb replaced some of Phantom Manor's original arrangements with regular Haunted Mansion music, including the Ballroom.

Leave a comment:

• HBG2
    replied
    There's a lot more fun than fact in a LOT of Disney "fun facts."

Leave a comment:

• mtlchuck
    replied
    Interesting tweet on the Tokyo Haunted Mansion from Marc Sasaki's #TDRHistory posts. The Tokyo Haunted Mansion's main reason for being in Fantasyland was that it was kicked out of Westernland so they could have the space to build Big Thunder Mountain as a Phase 2 project.

https://twitter.com/MarcSasaki/statu...02835230244864
    This makes sense and it invalidates another "fun fact" that doens't really make sense and appears to just be a fabrication: That it was placed in Fantasyland because in Japan ghost stories are fantasy. There is a difference between fantasy and fairytales, and I believe that in Japan the HM is just as out of place in Fantasyland as it would be anywhere. Japan has a big tradition of horror, so the original reason given does not really make sense. Thanks for the insight!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X