Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Adventure gets new logo, slight name change.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: California Adventure gets new logo, slight name change.

Good job, Tim Babb. I love the "california" part but not so much "adventure". If you can whip one up just like that but with a more neutral "adventure" (like the 2nd logo maybe), i think you have a winner.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I also think that timbabbcomedian has done a great job!

The "California" part looks terrific and really connotes a 1920's/1930's feel. And that's a VERY good thing for DCA.

I agree with Coheteboy, that if you were to update the "Adventure" part of your design you might just be the "winner." Here's hoping!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, Tim - if they want retro cartoon stylings, they'll have to use more than the right font. The visual style of the real logo is more contemporary, even if the font isn't so much.

Now, I don't know if I'd want that for the logo in any case, simply because I think making the whole park a cartoon park would make me less likely to want to visit, and the Disney parks certainly aren't wanting for people who think these places are just for little kids. But if they want the retro cartoon look, what you're demonstrating is a lot closer, Tim.

Comment

Better?

Without the backdrop...

Comment

So what MG is basically saying is that WDI lacks the creative abilities of WED so instead of living up to the Disney standard and creating a park full of unique experiences they are simply renaming it and stuffing it full of easy character and movie tie-ins... did I translate that correctly?
            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by techskip View Post
              So what MG is basically saying is that WDI lacks the creative abilities of WED so instead of living up to the Disney standard and creating a park full of unique experiences they are simply renaming it and stuffing it full of easy character and movie tie-ins... did I translate that correctly?
              But according to Al it's really a marketing move because they think Disney sounds more sleek and modern. Which, I think is idiotic if they are going to start changing signage across the whole company. Fine if they want to change DCA, but all of the signs? What a waste of money, and no doubt, before they even finish changing everything a new marketing team will take power and decide Disney's sounds better and want to change it back.

Of course to a large extent they are doing what you suggest with the park. But a lot of people do like to see characters. It may not be your or my cup of tea, but it was no doubt a mistake to almost completely ignore characters in the original design of the park. They may now be going to far in the other direction, but I think everything they are doing is generally positive and will make the park much more attractive and fun. But it will still lack the depth that it has the potential to offer, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                Better?

Haha sorry, but no. I mean to make 'ADVENTURE' in a more neutral font. Go with something resembling the "PRESENTS" in your example but make it larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  But according to Al it's really a marketing move because they think Disney sounds more sleek and modern. Which, I think is idiotic if they are going to start changing signage across the whole company. Fine if they want to change DCA, but all of the signs? What a waste of money, and no doubt, before they even finish changing everything a new marketing team will take power and decide Disney's sounds better and want to change it back.

Of course to a large extent they are doing what you suggest with the park. But a lot of people do like to see characters. It may not be your or my cup of tea, but it was no doubt a mistake to almost completely ignore characters in the original design of the park. They may now be going to far in the other direction, but I think everything they are doing is generally positive and will make the park much more attractive and fun. But it will still lack the depth that it has the potential to offer, no doubt.
                  I've voiced the same complaint so many times that I feel like I'm wasting my breath. However a recent road trip to Sequoia only served to highlight just how far off the mark DCA hit. We have places in California like no where else on earth. Ranging from Lassen Volcanic National Park to Death Valley to Yosemite to Sequoia and Kings Canyon... not to mention the caves and the gold fields... then you swing out West and have everything from seal covered rocky shorlines to miles of sand and surf... really a LOT to this State. It's a shame that Disney can't give tourists a preview of what we have to offer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                    Haha sorry, but no. I mean to make 'ADVENTURE' in a more neutral font. Go with something resembling the "PRESENTS" in your example but make it larger.

ahhhhhh I think it would need the cartoony font. To imply the "adventure" is one of youthful fun.

I suppose they could do it your way:

That just seems too...I dunno "serious" (Can't think of a better word.)

Comment

Center "Adventure", spread it out so it's as long as 'CALIFORNIA' and then squash it by 50%.

That's the classy logo if I'd ever see one.

Btw, what are the names of those fonts you're using?

Comment

Yep, you translated that correctly. It's something I've been lamenting since they announced the DCA expansion/remodel plans.

Actually, it's probably not fair to say that WDI lacks the creative abilities. The concept renderings for Buena Vista Street show that they can still create evocative, richly-themed areas that take you to different places and times (heck, all of Tokyo Disney Sea proves this!) --- rather, it's Disney's management that lacks the confidence in their creative employees to give them the support and budgets they need to properly create such areas.

To be perfectly honest, I'm rather surprised Buena Vista Street got the green light. It's the sort of California Adventure that the park should have been all along. Not this contemporary, "edgy" crap we got in 2001, and none of this overpriced character-saturated filler we're getting now in Paradise Pier.
                        Last edited by MasterGracey; 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
                          ahhhhhh I think it would need the cartoony font. To imply the "adventure" is one of youthful fun.

I suppose they could do it your way:

That just seems too...I dunno "serious" (Can't think of a better word.)

Here's my take on it.... (original design by Tim Babb, update by coheteboy)

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                            Here's my take on it.... (original design by Tim Babb, update by coheteboy)

Great work Coheteboy!

Now we're starting to get closer to what I was imagining.

There are still some other workable ideas out there, so don't stop coming up with great options.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                              Yep, you translated that correctly. It's something I've been lamenting since they announced the DCA expansion/remodel plans.

Actually, it's probably not fair to say that WDI lacks the creative abilities. The concept renderings for Buena Vista Street show that they can still create evocative, richly-themed areas that take you to different places and times (heck, all of Tokyo Disney Sea proves this!) --- rather, it's Disney's management that lacks the confidence in their creative employees to give them the support and budgets they need to properly create such areas.

To be perfectly honest, I'm rather surprised Buena Vista Street got the green light. It's the sort of California Adventure that the park should have been all along. Not this contemporary, "edgy" crap we got in 2001, and none of this overpriced character-saturated filler we're getting now in Paradise Pier.
                              And here is where we differ... because as amazing as BVS concept is... it is still heavily tied to Walt. The entire pitch was "Walt saw this" and "Walt did that"... It's not the dedications that we saw for Adventureland or Frontierland or Tomorrowland... this isn't about the Guest experience this is about the Guest seeing it the way Walt saw it. They've simply turned Walt into the primary character... like Lightning in Carsland... might as well name it Waltland and get it over with.

That's not creative, actually making a semi authentic 1920's street leading into 1930's Golden Hollywood with only the theater as a small tribute to Walt... that would have been creative.

Since we're on the subject... how many people do you know who have touched the Hollywood sign? stood right next to the H and touched it? because if they put full size replicas of a couple letters in HPB (as it was being replaced) THAT would be a wow factor.

sigpic

Comment

And here is where we differ... because as amazing as BVS concept is... it is still heavily tied to Walt. The entire pitch was "Walt saw this" and "Walt did that"... It's not the dedications that we saw for Adventureland or Frontierland or Tomorrowland... this isn't about the Guest experience this is about the Guest seeing it the way Walt saw it. They've simply turned Walt into the primary character... like Lightning in Carsland... might as well name it Waltland and get it over with.

That's not creative, actually making a semi authentic 1920's street leading into 1930's Golden Hollywood with only the theater as a small tribute to Walt... that would have been creative.

Since we're on the subject... how many people do you know who have touched the Hollywood sign? stood right next to the H and touched it? because if they put full size replicas of a couple letters in HPB (as it was being replaced) THAT would be a wow factor.
                                I understand the logic behind using Walt as a main character for Buena Vista Street. Main Street, while described by Walt as "everyone's hometown" is truly Walt's hometown, and Disney never misses an opportunity to mention that. Buena Visa Street is the proper compliment to Main Street USA, and I don't mind Walt as the "main character" here, as long as it isn't overt a la Mickey's Fun Wheel or "Cars Land."

I think changing the name from "Walt Disney Plaza" to "Buena Vista Street" was a smart move. Even smarter was forgoing the idea of a second Partners statue in Buena Vista Street's hub. The smartest move that Disney hasn't made, however, would be putting something truly remarkable in the Carthay Circle Theater that has to do with the Golden Era of Hollywood instead of a tribute to Walt Disney or (the rumored) relocated Park Preview Center. If only the Carthay Circle Theater could be the entrance to the queue of a second generation Great Movie Ride. There's plenty of space behind the theater for a show building... they'd just need a bulldozer to get rid of a pesky insect infestation...

I really do think Buena Vista Street is the best creative concept they've managed to muster up for the DCA project. Everything else they have planned, even if these projects are wonderfully themed and use impressive technology, is, creatively and thematically, a waste of time for the park.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I understand the logic behind using Walt as a main character for Buena Vista Street. Main Street, while described by Walt as "everyone's hometown" is truly Walt's hometown, and Disney never misses an opportunity to mention that. Buena Visa Street is the proper compliment to Main Street USA, and I don't mind Walt as the "main character" here, as long as it isn't overt a la Mickey's Fun Wheel or "Cars Land."

I think changing the name from "Walt Disney Plaza" to "Buena Vista Street" was a smart move. Even smarter was forgoing the idea of a second Partners statue in Buena Vista Street's hub. The smartest move that Disney hasn't made, however, would be putting something truly remarkable in the Carthay Circle Theater that has to do with the Golden Era of Hollywood instead of a tribute to Walt Disney or (the rumored) relocated Park Preview Center.

I really do think Buena Vista Street is the best creative concept they've managed to muster up for the DCA project. Everything else they have planned, even if these projects are wonderfully themed and use impressive technology, is, creatively and thematically, a waste of time for the park.
                                  Again though it is Disney the company that pushed Main Street USA as being Walt's Hometown... Walt was content to simply give the Guest a view of 1900's America and let the grandparents tell their kids "this is what it was like". Far more important... it served as a living history with individual stores selling unique goods and encompassed small town America down to the details...

Disney the company is putting in a trolley, a shell theater facade, and calling it "What Walt Saw"...

sigpic

Comment

His first words in California were "Wow, this looks like an underwhelming theme park. I hope my company can create something like this some day."

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                      His first words in California were "Wow, this looks like an underwhelming theme park. I hope my company can create something like this some day."
                                      While I don't pretend to even remotely know Walt or how he would react... I'd like to think the opening words would be "Cali-what?"

sigpic

Comment

I don't mind Walt as the "main character" here
                                        So do you want the Walt plush, the Walt bobble head or the Walt talking barbie doll?

sigpic

Comment

So do you want the Walt plush, the Walt bobble head or the Walt talking barbie doll?
                                          Don't worry, they don't have any land specific merch anymore. There won't be any Walt stuff, just the same stuff they sell in all the other stores.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X