• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • startours1
    Banned User
    • Jul 2007

[Chat] how was the show

For those of you who made it out to the parks today, how was the 4th of July show?
  • sunnygirl
    rainy day girl
    • Apr 2005

Re: how was the show

I wasn't as impressed with this year's show as I have been in some years past. It just felt a little anticlimatic to me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it was distracting to see so many of the RDCT sequences set to patriotic music? I dunno.

IMO, not Disney's best 4th.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

• dl_appurtenant
      MiceChatter
      • Aug 2008

And video?
      appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
        We all need a Jiminy.
        • Apr 2005

I did not think the show was that good. It was a little short. When they ended i was expecting more fireworks. Other daily sows have been better. It did not have the emotion I have seen with other shows. No Tink or Dumbo. Frankly, Remember was a better show. I would also say that Wishes in Florida was a better show than what they showed for the Fourth at Disneyland. It is too bad but Disneyland used to have great Firework shows for the Forth, but I guess they have cut back.
        Last edited by JiminyCricketFan; 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• ttztotdca50
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

Short?! The show was 15 minutes long! They even extended it today from the normal 4th of July fireworks that they've been showing since the 1st.

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
          I did not think the show was that good. It was a little short. When they ended i was expecting more fireworks. Other daily sows have been better. It did not have the emotion I have seen with other shows. No Tink or Dumbo. Frankly, Remember was a better show. I would also say that Wishes in Florida was a better show than what they showed for the Fourth at Disneyland. It is too bad but Disneyland used to have great Firework shows for the Forth, but I guess they have cut back.
          ...why would Tink or Dumbo be in a purely patriotic fireworks display? Not everything has to be Disney at Disneyland.

IMO, I thought it was pretty darn good (especially since I've now seen it four times!). I thought it was VERY powerful and moving. Go USA!
          "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

• sunnygirl
            rainy day girl
            • Apr 2005

While i had no issue with the duration of the show, I felt it lacked a lot of the heart and emotional pull that some of the shows of past years have. Yes, it was very "Go America!", but in a generic, almost offhanded way. (Just my opinion.)
            Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
              We all need a Jiminy.
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
              ...why would Tink or Dumbo be in a purely patriotic fireworks display? Not everything has to be Disney at Disneyland.

IMO, I thought it was pretty darn good (especially since I've now seen it four times!). I thought it was VERY powerful and moving. Go USA!
              I cannot think of anything more all American than DISNEY!! Walt once said that he felt that he would bleed Red, White and Blue. I don't see any reason that Disney characters could not be included in a fireworks show that had a patriotic theme. After all, this was a patriotic firework show at Disneyland. Can you think of any character more American than Mickey Mouse?

As to the other elements, the show could have used more emotional patrriotic music like the Battle Hymn of the Republic or something like that to increase the emotional impact. It also was a short program compared to other Disneyland Firework shows. One would expect longer not shorter on the Fourth. I guess if you combine the four shows into one, then it would be rather impressive, but most will see it only once.

Comment

• DannyLand
                MiceChatter
                • Nov 2009

wait... so back then it was the regular nightly fireworks plus extra fireworks for 4th? and that's better than the current one?

Comment

• AaronInCal
                  Fireworks Finatic!
                  • Jan 2005

I liked the show this year. I was at small world and the probably helped to be so close to them. After seeing the shortened version of the 4th show a couple times from July 1-3, the long version on the 4th was plussed a lot. Last year they did not plus it that much and it was a let down. This year was nice and the finale was decent. But still, nothing compares to what they did back in 2005 or 06. Man, that was simply amazing. So when you know what they are capable of, it's sad when they cut back these past couple years.

Comment

• ttztotdca50
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

I cannot think of anything more all American than DISNEY!! Walt once said that he felt that he would bleed Red, White and Blue. I don't see any reason that Disney characters could not be included in a fireworks show that had a patriotic theme. After all, this was a patriotic firework show at Disneyland. Can you think of any character more American than Mickey Mouse?

As to the other elements, the show could have used more emotional patrriotic music like the Battle Hymn of the Republic or something like that to increase the emotional impact. It also was a short program compared to other Disneyland Firework shows. One would expect longer not shorter on the Fourth. I guess if you combine the four shows into one, then it would be rather impressive, but most will see it only once.
                    I don't understand how Tinkerbell or Dumbo would work in the middle of a patriotic fireworks show. To me, it seems like it would just be a bit too forced. And it would seem a bit blasphemous to many if Mickey Mouse came out and started singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" or the national anthem.

Maybe it's because I was too busy selling junk during the shows, but it seemed to be a good 10-15 minutes long... long enough for a spectacular Disney fireworks show without it being drawn out too long.
                    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Comment

• startours1
                      Banned User
                      • Jul 2007

well at least the show went on without a hitch I know they had some issues with that the past few years

Comment

• tech4all
                        MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2009

I just got from Disneyland literally about 20 minutes ago. I didn't see the fireworks on the 4th, but did on the 3rd and was a bit underwhelmed. Just as I was getting into it, they were finished. Although when I was in DCA waiting for WoC, the fireworks seemed to go on much longer than when I saw them the previous night.

Comment

• AllyIsAPirate
                          Banned User
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by tech4all View Post
                          I just got from Disneyland literally about 20 minutes ago. I didn't see the fireworks on the 4th, but did on the 3rd and was a bit underwhelmed. Just as I was getting into it, they were finished. Although when I was in DCA waiting for WoC, the fireworks seemed to go on much longer than when I saw them the previous night.
                          That would be, because they performed a shortened version 1st-3rd, and added in more pyro on the 4th

hope that helped

Comment

• JiminyCricketFan
                            We all need a Jiminy.
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by AllyIsAPirate View Post
                            That would be, because they performed a shortened version 1st-3rd, and added in more pyro on the 4th

hope that helped
                            If they added anything, it might have been 30 seconds. I don't think the fireworks I saw on the fourth were over 15 minutes. There were better displays in So Cal than the one at Disneyland. Even Disneyland has done Remember which I believe was over 20 minutes. For those who wanted a short, quick firework show to leave and go home, I sure they were thrilled.

Comment

• GrumpyDude
                              Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!
                              • Apr 2010

I didn't head over to the park on the 4th but I did take note of the time they started and ended, stepped out on my back patio for a short time... I was surprised as the show didn't run any longer than fireworks on any other night.

Comment

• leslie_537
                                Disney Fan
                                • Apr 2009

It was okay. The Halloween Screams show (whatever it is called) is still by far my favorite. I couldn't believe people started getting a spot around 2 pm though. I would never ever wait 7 hours to see fireworks.
                                --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                                  Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                  • Jun 2005

If they added anything, it might have been 30 seconds. I don't think the fireworks I saw on the fourth were over 15 minutes. There were better displays in So Cal than the one at Disneyland. Even Disneyland has done Remember which I believe was over 20 minutes. For those who wanted a short, quick firework show to leave and go home, I sure they were thrilled.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Magical clocks in under 10 minutes. The abbreviated shows July 1-3 were just under 10, and the full show on July 4th was supposed to be almost 15. I think they run the same sound track that they use in WDW and the show on youtube was about 14.3 minutes long. Here's video of the WDW show from last year with the same sound track:

(For fun, listen to the guests with the attitudes trying to get through the crowd in the background.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPgTO5hs8E&feature=related]YouTube - Magic Kingdom 4th of July 2009 Fireworks[/ame]

Not sure if it's air quality concerns or just the fact that half the park would be buried in fall out after the show, but I can't believe the difference in the quality between the two shows. WDW is always about 10 times bigger with shells that take up half of the sky. I enjoyed the show at Disneyland on July 2nd, but it was NOTHING like what they have at WDW. Same sound track, but a completely different show.

Comment

• bayouguy
                                    Bayou Native
                                    • Jul 2006

I didn't go to Disneyland on the 4th, but my and my daughter went on the 5th, which was a cool, slightly overcasted, not crazy crowded, a most enjoyable visit. Let's do it again next year!
                                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• scrappydawg
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jul 2007

I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the fireworks on the 4th were fantastic.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X