This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] DLR Rides/Attractions vs WDW Rides/Attractions

I have never been to WDW(except for on youtube,LOL),but I do know that they have some of the same rides that we have at the DLR,or vice versa we got some of their rides.There has already probably been some posts on this but can I get some micechatters to do a compare and contrast,basically just telling me which has the better version-LA or Florida for Disney rides and attractions?For example I have heard most people say that Pirates and Space Mt are much better at DL but Big Thunder and Tower of Terror are better in WDW.

Re: DLR Rides/Attractions vs WDW Rides/Attractions

You'll find many different opinions, but I think mostly everything is better at DLR with a few exceptions.

Better in Florida:
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder
    Haunted Mansion
    Pooh (but still no where as great as its Tokyo cousin)

Some people argue that ToT in WDW is better, but I actually prefer the DLR version.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Comment

Disneyland: Everything but splash and ToT
      Magic Kingdom: Splash and ToT

there you go

Comment

Though I have not done all of the rides here is my list and opinion of the similar rides between WDW and DLR. I don't want to go into full explanations as to why. You need to experience it for your self.

Potc DLR by far
        HM DLR
        TOT WDW
        BTMRR WDW
        Splash Mt WDW by far
        Space Mt DLR
        IASW DLR
        Peter Pan WDW
        Winnie The Pooh WDW
        Jungle Cruise WDW
        Astro Orbitor WDW
        Buzz Lightyear ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Snow White ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Tea Cups ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Autopia ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Dumbo ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Carousel ??? (Have not done WDW)
        Soarin SAME
        ITTBAB SAME
        Star Tours SAME
        Muppet 3D SAME

Comment

Originally posted by Ckelef1 View Post
          Disneyland: Everything but splash and ToT
          Magic Kingdom: Splash and ToT

there you go
          Agreed.

W
          orld Of Color count -- 7 times

Comment

Originally posted by THE ORIGINAL 55 View Post
            Peter Pan WDW
            Buzz Lightyear ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Snow White ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Tea Cups ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Autopia ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Dumbo ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Carousel ??? (Have not done WDW)
            Soarin SAME
            ITTBAB SAME
            Star Tours SAME
            I've heard differently about Peter Pan.
            Buzz Lightyear is better in DLR because the guns are not attached to the vehicles.
            Snow White is clearer and not cut short in WDW.
            Tea Cups have a roof in WDW, if that makes a difference.
            Autopia vs. Indy Speedway: Autopia has three different cars/tracks and Speedway is a ton of cars on a big concrete figure eight. DLR.
            Dumbo is the same, I think, unless Disneyland's was improved in 1983 or something.
            We're really going to compare the carousels?
            Soarin' is better in DCA because it actually makes sense, (you're in California.) And the theming is less bland and generic.
            It's Tough to Be a Bug is in the Tree of Life in WDW, and what is it in in DCA? A big show building?
            Star Tours is supposedly better in DL because it is supposed to be real instead of just a big movie set.
            -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Having been to WDW in 2003 and an APer of Disneyland for 6 years, I'll do my own compare and contrast:

-Main Street is the best over in Florida, but that is just because it is grander and they have more room, but still the best
              -DL's It's a Small World has a better facade than the one in Florida since it is enclosed.
              -DL's Autopia is better than Tomarrowland Speedway
              -The Carousel of Progress is amazing
              -Our Pirates is better than the one in MK's
              -I personally think our Fantasyland is better than the one in Florida since we have Casey Jr, Storybook Land, and Pinocchio. However, the Snow White in Florida has an actual ending, so an advantage for them.
              -The Jungle Cruise over in Florida is longer and has an indoor scene, so another point to them
              -Our Fantasmic! is better than the one in Florida since we have Peter Pan, and better villains as well as a rehabed and improved dragon, so points there.
              -I don't think Soarin' belongs at all over at EPCOT. It's the same ride film, and Florida is not known for hangliding, so another point to DLR
              -The food however over at WDW gets points for better options and better selections for people, especially with the culture over at EPCOT where you could get great snacks and authentic cuisine.

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Peter Pan is much better at the DLR, and the WDW Haunted Mansion is longer (better). Space mtn at WDW is bigger but not better. Snow White is longer (better). Pooh is better at WDW.

Comment

Here's my two cents:

(I'm just comparing Disneyland to MK)

Disneyland:
                  -Better Pirates (by far)
                  -Better Space Mountain (by far)
                  -Matterhorn
                  -Submarine Voyage
                  -Better Autopia
                  -Better Buzz since the guns are not attatched
                  -Pinnochio
                  -Alice In Wonderland
                  -Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
                  -Better Peter Pan (Because of the star effect)
                  -Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin
                  -Indiana Jones Adventure
                  -Primeval World
                  -Casey Jr. Trains
                  -Better Small World

That's not even counting the possible Tron ride, Tinker Bell ride, and possible E-Tickets in Frontierland!

WDW:
                  -Better Splash Mountain
                  -Better Big Thunder Mountain
                  -Carousel of Progress
                  -Better Haunted Mansion
                  -Fattened Dumbo
                  -Tomorrowland Transit Authority
                  -Better Jungle Cruise
                  -Better Pooh
                  -Better Snow White
                  -Mickey's PhilharMagic
                  -Country Bears

(MILF and Stitch are terrible so I won't even mention them.)

Comment

We have an "Alice", they don't.
                    They have a "Country Bears", we don't.
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I haven't been in WDW in a while, so my memory isn't fresh.

I guess if you compare the resort as a whole, WDW wins just cause they have more things do.

But our MK (Disneyland) beat their MK! and probably all of the MK-style parks (i haven't been to the Paris and Hong kong one).

My opinions on which version of the rides/lands/shows:
                      DLR:
                      Better:
                      A way better FL
                      TSI
                      ROA
                      DLRR
                      F!
                      Space mountain
                      autopia
                      SOC (just cause it doesn't belong in WDW)
                      better lookin monorails
                      in my opinion better castle but has to lay off the pink a bit
                      I say our Star tours is better cause it feels real, instead of a movie set.
                      POTC

WDW:
                      Better:
                      TOT
                      BTMR
                      a slightly better MS just cause is big other than that no big difference
                      ITBAB cause ours is just a show building!
                      Their TL is flawed (MILF ISW and SGS) but way better than ours(they have a PM style ride!)
                      Splash Mountain
                      HM
                      A VERY sightly better JC

After looking this through, Too many clone attractions in every resort! I don't Mind some(like some the instant classics MS,DLRR,The lands,etc... but it has to be unique in it's own way), but each resort should have more original attractions so there's a reason to go to each resort! that's a problem with our DLR, hopefully we have more original attractions in the future like WOC, RSR instead of getting clones from WDW. but To be fair every resort stole from us! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker View Post
                        -Main Street is the best over in Florida, but that is just because it is grander and they have more room, but still the best
                        -DL's It's a Small World has a better facade than the one in Florida since it is enclosed.
                        -Our Pirates is better than the one in MK's
                        -I personally think our Fantasyland is better than the one in Florida since we have Casey Jr, Storybook Land, and Pinocchio. However, the Snow White in Florida has an actual ending, so an advantage for them.
                        -Our Fantasmic! is better than the one in Florida since we have Peter Pan, and better villains as well as a rehabed and improved dragon, so points there.
                        -Main Street can be considered better in DL. The WDW Main Street literally deleted a side street in favor of an expanded Emporium, and I'm pretty sure there are just less different stores and restaurants in WDW.
                        - The Pirates queue and exterior and surroundings (to a certain extent) are better in Walt Disney World, but the interior has always been considered better in Disneyland. For a good reason.
                        - Not for long! Fantasyland Forest is under construction.
                        - Fantasmic! in DHS is in an arena, which I generally consider a step down. It's on some cheap mountain instead of Tom Sawyer Island. The dragon is old-style... There are more villains but I think there's more projection, which is a step down... And the boat at the end is this big cheap-looking steamboat instead of the Twain.

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
                        That's not even counting the possible Tron ride, Tinker Bell ride, and possible E-Tickets in Frontierland!
                        Of course. Why would you ever count those? They don't exist! They haven't even been announced! We could count the Fantasyland Forest, at least that's under construction!

Sorry. That was just a weird comment.
                        -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Advantage Anaheim:

Disneyland Railroad. Although the route is smaller and less open-feeling, its view into the finale show scene of Splash Mountain as well as the unique attractions of the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas make it better.

Enchanted Tiki Room. The show within is certainly longer, and much better content. The preshow in the garden is also far superior. The building is smaller but intimacy works well for this attraction.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Ride Portion. The Blue Bayou and double waterfall and extensive skeleton grottos are lacking at the other park.

King Arthur's Carousel. Better by a hair, this one occupies a more compact site with close views of the fantastic Fantasyland facades that closely surround it. It's a more intimate experience and works well.

Snow White's Scary Adventures. The detailing of the exterior and queue give this one the bonus.

Dumbo, The Flying Elephant. The fountain beneath it and the mechanized band building that forms its backdrop is better here.

Mad Tea Party. The outdoor location with lanterns overhead and its proximity to the ride and shop with the same movie theme make this one a more complete and immersive experience, although the echoes of the Abominable Snowman in the area are definitely at-odds with the immersion.

it's a small world. The bold stylized facade here is allowed to occupy its own subthemed area of the land instead of being hidden inside a medieval castle-and-tournament-tent exterior that has little to do with the attraction.

Star Tours. The exterior and beginning of the interior do not pretend to be movie sets, a tired visual technique that had been employed far too many times previously at the Universal Studios Hollywood (and of course at the Orlando one too) years before the Star Tours in Lake Buena Vista opened.

Captain Eo. The theater exterior and waiting area are more attractive here.

Autopia. I absolutely hate these attractions for a variety of reasons, but this one has a funner twisting route in a denser landscape, and a far more attractive retro-futuristic queue and station. It also occupies space above the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, giving it more reason to continue to exist rather than using the large amount of land it hogs for better attractions.

Space Mountain. The other park may have more theming in its longer interior queue, as well as more theming in its long interior exit, but the ride itself is better and the seating more comfortable and the soundtrack played from speakers in the vehicle.

Soarin' Over California. The purpose-built exterior and aviation history interior make this one superior.

Advantage Lake Buena Vista:

Main Street Vehicles. The larger scale of Main Street here makes the vehicle route longer and the larger hub makes the destination grander.

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. The roomier grounds and views from the top are far superior, and the original content is still intact.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Exterior Portion and Queue. The Caribbean port theme is extensive and lovingly detailed here and the line inside is very atmospheric, as opposed to the limited facade and odd short interior line at the other park.

Haunted Mansion. The library at the beginning of the ride is unique here, and the exterior and queue is more foreboding and scenic.

Hall of Presidents. This is not a fair comparison, since Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is a different show, but this one is the grander and more moving of the two.

Tom Sawyer Island. Extensive caves, more buildings, original content, larger area, and the still-open fort make this attraction better than the other park's Pirates Lair retheme, with its out-of-scale stage for Fantasmic. The raft ride itself is only slightly better here with its larger docks.

Liberty Belle. The riverboat itself is not better, but the route is more scenic with exclusive views of the backside of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The Yellowstone-inspired hot springs terraces and the sinking town as well as its location next to the river make this a more scenic version; I have not noticed an advantage to one track layout over the other.

The Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh. Although Anaheim has an exterior queue and loading area that is in the woods and thus more appropriate to the theme, the interior of the ride is better here.

Astro Orbitor. The height of this spinner's location gives it the extra thrill.

Buzz Lightyear's Astro-Blasters. The exteriors both have their merits, but the interior here is larger and more detailed.

Monorail. Not a fair comparison at all, but the one at Disneyland has a weird twisting layout inside Tomorrowland that has some clumsy moments and is generally too slow there to demonstrate its mass-transit intent. This one 'gets to the point' of its potential on a far different scale on both of its routes. It has more attractive vehicles too.

Tower of Terror. Slightly better ride and building and queue. It forms a particularly effective landmark at the end of Sunset Boulevard. Meanwhile, the Anaheim version is an unfriendly neighbor to a bug's land from several vantage points. This may not make a difference to many, but it is also a very clumsy structure viewed from outside the park on Harbor Boulevard and does not set a good tone for the entry experience to the resort on that side.

It's Tough To Be A Bug. The queue at the base of the Tree of Life is a masterpiece, although the theater seems identical once inside.

I can not compare:

Peter Pan's Flight
                          Splash Mountain
                          Toy Story Midway Mania
                          Fantasmic

I have only been on the Anaheim versions of these.
                          Last edited by geomorph; 07-06-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with pretty much all of this. However I have not been on splash in WDW in a decade and I can't remember much of what makes it different or better can someone give me the why Splash is better at WDW? curious since I can't make my own opinion.
                            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
                              - The Pirates queue and exterior and surroundings (to a certain extent) are better in Walt Disney World, but the interior has always been considered better in Disneyland. For a good reason.
                              - Not for long! Fantasyland Forest is under construction.
                              - Fantasmic! in DHS is in an arena, which I generally consider a step down. It's on some cheap mountain instead of Tom Sawyer Island. The dragon is old-style... There are more villains but I think there's more projection, which is a step down... And the boat at the end is this big cheap-looking steamboat instead of the Twain.

I've never understood why they put Fantasmic! into DHS? It really has nothing to do with Hollywood, movies or music, and it belongs at MK.

And just because Pirates has a better exterior to fit with Adventureland doesn't make it a better ride. I found the ending to be a big downgrade from the DLR version, since in the DLR version you get to go up a lift hill and back into the queue, while you simply just go through a door and back into the queue area with no real apprehension in the WDW version

AUTOPIA: Fan Since 1991

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X