Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Fun] What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

    On Snow White the ride ends with seeing a witch and then it says "and they lived happily ever after"
    On Mr. Toad the ride ends with you going to hell.
    I think its just funny how all of the fantasy land dark rides end so abruptly...but why do these two rides in particular end this way? Not really the disney spirit haha

  • #2
    Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

    On the contrary. I think both rides are prime examples of the Disney spirit. At least in the traditional sense.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

      I've always hated the end of Snow White...
      "Oh no! The witch is about to kill all the dwarves with a rolling boulder... what happens next...?!?! They lived happily ever after? WHAT?! Are the dwarves dead? How did they escape?!"
      Then again, that ride is just straight-up scary to begin with.

      I haven't actually seen the Ichabod and Mr. Toad movie, so I don't know what happens in it. But from what I've "heard", that's how the movie actually ends.
      But again, I haven't seen it, so my sources (my girlfriend) could easily be wrong haha.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

        There is a very good reason for the abrupt ending to Snow White. In its original form (pre-1983 makeover), you the rider were the main character of the film. So when you rode on Snow White, you assumed the role of Snow White herself. The ride was a trip through the movie from your's/Snow White's perspective. After Snow White eats the apple, she's out of commission until the prince wakes her and it's happily ever after within a matter of about a minute of film. Of course, they have to show the Evil Queen meeting her demise or people would just be unhappy with the ride, so for a brief bit you go 3rd person and then right back to being Snow White.

        In fact, pre-1983... the main characters did not even appear inside their rides as you were playing their "role."

        Parts of the Chicken of the Sea boat that used to sit where Storybook Land is now ended up in Peter Pan as the ship you see the main characters on.

        Anyway, this is the reason for the seemingly abrupt end to a couple of the rides in Fantasyland.

        Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

          Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has nothing in common with the movie. It's a whole new separate motor car adventure.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

            Originally posted by Awesome View Post
            I haven't actually seen the Ichabod and Mr. Toad movie, so I don't know what happens in it. But from what I've "heard", that's how the movie actually ends.
            But again, I haven't seen it, so my sources (my girlfriend) could easily be wrong haha.
            I personally like how twisted the end of Mr. Toad's Wild ride is, but it's not at all how the original cartoon ends. Toad does escape from jail, and does go on a high speed train chase, but then jumps in water and escapes. He and his friends then go to Toad Hall and get the deed from the weasels and all live happily ever after except for Mr Winky and the Weasels. No death or Hell references. In fact, compared to the cartoon, the ride is sequentially out of order. Early in the ride you go through Toad Hall and see all of the Weasels there, which would be the end of the movie.

            I'm a dork for that cartoon - can ya tell?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

              I think it's funny Mr. Toad's especially, because it's the one situation where I can truthfully say I've literally been to Hell and back!
              You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!

              "To live would be an awfully big adventure."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                There is a very good reason for the abrupt ending to Snow White. In its original form (pre-1983 makeover), you the rider were the main character of the film. So when you rode on Snow White, you assumed the role of Snow White herself. The ride was a trip through the movie from your's/Snow White's perspective. After Snow White eats the apple, she's out of commission until the prince wakes her and it's happily ever after within a matter of about a minute of film. Of course, they have to show the Evil Queen meeting her demise or people would just be unhappy with the ride, so for a brief bit you go 3rd person and then right back to being Snow White.

                In fact, pre-1983... the main characters did not even appear inside their rides as you were playing their "role."

                Parts of the Chicken of the Sea boat that used to sit where Storybook Land is now ended up in Peter Pan as the ship you see the main characters on.

                Anyway, this is the reason for the seemingly abrupt end to a couple of the rides in Fantasyland.
                I'm a tad confused. Where in the ride do you see the Evil Queen meet her demise?
                I always got the whole "you're Snow White" bit. But I just feel like a nice happy ending scene would be better than just a painted mural telling you the story ends on a high note. When in reality the ride ends on more of a cliff hanger.


                Captain Halfbeard - I really want to see that movie . I still have the ultimate goal of wanting to eventually create a Disney movie collection once I get some more money. But that will for sure be one of the ones I buy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                  Yeah, Toad is just messed up in comparison to the cartoon. Though many of the elements are there, they took some pretty big license with them. Still a great ride though.

                  Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                    Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                    I'm a tad confused. Where in the ride do you see the Evil Queen meet her demise?
                    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWkABOji948]YouTube - SNOW WHITE RIDE AT DISNEYLAND[/ame]

                    Her demise (in the form of the hag) happens between 1:40 and 1:47 with the actual lightning strike that causes her to fall from the cliff occurring at 1:46.

                    It is the scene immediately before the happily ever after bit.

                    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                      Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                      YouTube - SNOW WHITE RIDE AT DISNEYLAND

                      Her demise (in the form of the hag) happens between 1:40 and 1:47 with the actual lightning strike that causes her to fall from the cliff occurring at 1:46.

                      It is the scene immediately before the happily ever after bit.
                      Oh. I always thought that was just a lightning effect to add atmosphere to the scene. I honestly had no idea it had anything to do with her death.
                      Well, just goes to show how little I know about the movie Snow White )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                        Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                        In fact, pre-1983... the main characters did not even appear inside their rides as you were playing their "role."
                        Actually, Snow White was added to SW&HA (it wasn't SWSA yet) in the early 1970s. You can see a picture of her c. 1972 here.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                          Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
                          Actually, Snow White was added to SW&HA (it wasn't SWSA yet) in the early 1970s. You can see a picture of her c. 1972 here.
                          Hmm... indeed. Thanks for that!

                          Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                            This is all really interesting...I always have wondered about SWSA's abruptness...I had heard a rumor somewhere that Disney made the ride too short and ran out of room to finish the story...but that REALLY doesn't seem Disney-like to me, haha =]
                            November 7, 2008 - My Disneyland dream came true! And is was "SUITE"! :yea:
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What is with the ending of the Fantasy Land Dark Rides?

                              Originally posted by lnbrannon22 View Post
                              This is all really interesting...I always have wondered about SWSA's abruptness...I had heard a rumor somewhere that Disney made the ride too short and ran out of room to finish the story...but that REALLY doesn't seem Disney-like to me, haha =]
                              Disney THEN is very different then Disney NOW as far as planning and engineering go but yeah that sounds hard to believe haha.

                              I think all of the fantasyland darkrides run a bit short. Except maybe Pinnochio? I dunno they all feel like they have parts that could be elaborated on. Actually I guess Toad is perfect length for what he is. Snow White and Pan always feel like they run out of space a little soon to me. Not sure how I feel on Alice...
                              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X