Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are "the powers that be" that make the big decisions at DL?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Who are "the powers that be" that make the big decisions at DL?

I'm just curious about the power structure for the Disneyland Resort. Who are the people who have the real power to decide what goes in the park, what gets built, what gets taken out, what gets changed, and so forth? Are these decisions made by committee? And if so, who is on that committee? Who has final say over the resort's contents, layout and composition?

Re: Who are "the powers that be" that make the big decisions at DL?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txwTT1-8IY"]this man.[/ame]

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
      I'm just curious about the power structure for the Disneyland Resort. Who are the people who have the real power to decide what goes in the park, what gets built, what gets taken out, what gets changed, and so forth? Are these decisions made by committee? And if so, who is on that committee? Who has final say over the resort's contents, layout and composition?
      I believe the final say-so comes from the people in these offices:

I think it's a bit of a complex "web" between the heads at the studios in Burbank ... with TDA's top officers making the requests of what they want.

I don't think WDI has quite the final say in anything .. as many of us tend to think.

I use to have a better idea of the chain of command. But that was over a decade ago.

What the current structure is today ... would be nice to know.
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

If you mean in regards to the DLH, Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          YES! IT IS THIS MAN!
          Spoiler
          MAYNARD!

Timekeeper
          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

I mean on any major, permanent changes to the resort... an addition of a land, an addition of an attraction, an addition of a design element, an addition of a restaurant, an addition of a shop, an addition of an entertainment event, the removal of an attraction, the removal of a design element, the removal of a restaurant, the removal of a shop, the decision to discontinue an entertainment event, the redesign of something, the "plussing" or "minusing" of something, and so forth. Not the smaller, day-to-day decisions but the big decisions regarding permanent changes. I'm just curious as to how those decisions are handled, the power structure involved, etc. Someone has to have the "final say" and if for example it came to a vote on the board of directors and there is a tie, then who makes the ulimate decision? Iger? As one example, who is going to decide when, where and what sort of expansion to Disneyland will be made, if any, and what the attractions and other features will be? There has to be someone, or some group of people, who get the final say.

Comment

I mean on any major, permanent changes to the resort... an addition of a land, an addition of an attraction, an addition of a design element, an addition of a restaurant, an addition of a shop, an addition of an entertainment event, the removal of an attraction, the removal of a design element, the removal of a restaurant, the removal of a shop, the decision to discontinue an entertainment event, the redesign of something, the "plussing" or "minusing" of something, and so forth.
              I imagine it depends on the nature of the change. Even in this list, the tasks vary greatly in size and degree of permanency. Live shows and parades, for example, are more disposable than attractions. I think the bigger and more permanent the installation, the farther up the chain it goes. That said, I think the chain goes higher than most people probably think it does. I think Special K probably signs off on additions/removals of restaurants and shops. Everything else he has to run by Burbank first, and there's the dirty secret: DL isn't really that high on the corporate radar.

We like to think of DL as a valuable property in and of itself, but Corporate doesn't see it that way. Notice how every president of the Park leaves the company right after his term? From the executive perspective, it's a dead end job, a nice cushy gig where the object is to do as little as possible before you get shoved out the door. They don't want anyone in that job who might "make a mark." That's for the real power players at the studio to do.

When you get down to it, the studio is really the entity in control of Park content. (They even pay for the pre-parades which feature characters from the newest movies!) Remember the Pirates premiere and how the studio commandeered the Park and literally locked people in their own offices w/ blackout curtains over the windows until the event was over? That speaks volumes about the company's priorities. The Park is just a tool of the studios and I guarantee you everyone in TDA knows it, right up to Special K.
              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
              Charter Member

Comment

OK thanks. So when the time comes to build a new attraction at Disneyland, what is the basic process that happens? Just in general terms, what is the series of decisions and who specifically makes the decisions?

Comment

OK thanks. So when the time comes to build a new attraction at Disneyland, what is the basic process that happens? Just in general terms, what is the series of decisions and who specifically makes the decisions?
                  Someone at the top asks, "Do we really need it? What is the ROI?" And that's usually the end of that. Exceptions include Pooh (end up in a shop), Buzz (end up in a shop),
                  ROI is directly affected by the AP Program. While the AP Program will draw attendance to a new attraction or show, it doesn't draw in nearly aws much revenue as the same attraction in a pay-to-get-in environment.

Guy like Lasseter is allowed one land (and one lagoon), as part of fixing the Negativest ROI known as DCA.

Comment

Day-to-day operations aside, I'd imagine that the larger-scale things such as attractions and shows are monitored by a panel or group of people. Guest research and feedback from managers is probably a part of collected information that is looked at in terms of what is working and what isn't. I'd assume that some of the park's key players like George K. and Tony Baxter can make suggestions to those in charge at TDA and then their bosses at the Disney Parks and Resorts division. If they can agree that implementing the removal and addition of an attraction will benefit the park and increase revenue, they do it. I'd guess that it all depends on the scale of the project. Smaller things that can be changed such as Captain EO or Billy Hill are probably worked out at the TDA and Imagineering levels. If it's a full-on project like Star Tours 2, I imagine it has to at least be signed off on by a higher-up in Parks and Resorts. If it's something radical like the creation or Carsland or an all-new E-Ticket that's going to require huge amounts of money, I assume that Tom Staggs has to sign off on it.

But of course, this is just my reasoning. It would be an interesting question to pose to Tony Baxter or George K. if the opporunity came up.

Comment

By "ROI" you mean return on investment?

Comment

On a short sidenote:

"Special K"

hahahahahahahahahaha

The DLR President is now a drug. I love it!

That is all. Continue on.
                        WELCOME ABOARD
                        THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

By "ROI" you mean return on investment?
                          I can't think of anything else it could mean.

I mean, company invests in a $100 million water/color show. Even a 10%/year ROI would require an increase of $27,400 in profits over what may have been earned without the investment, each day of the year.
                          One way to make that money would be to expect 548 additional guests paying $50/head. But that's not happening. Or, $54,800 in additional sales, assuming a 50% margin on cost of goods sold. Maybe that's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                            On a short sidenote:

"Special K"

hahahahahahahahahaha

The DLR President is now a drug. I love it!

That is all. Continue on.
                            I thought Special K was a cereal.
                            Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                            Charter Member

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X