• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malibu Minion
    Zapp's Minion :D
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MiceMan
    Look Mom, I found Nemo!

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!Thats why I don't eat fish anymore. :botox: My sister went to a place that serves Nemo last year near Santa Cruz.

I think they should bring the Rockin Rollercoaster to DCA.

Comment

• dshimel
      Banned User
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MiceMan
      Sorry, this may be a stupid question but when does DL close their doors? What is the CAPACITY LIMIT.... ????? Also, have there even been other days that DL closed it's doors completely? (Besides 9-11 and 5-5-5)
      48,000 at a time... according to Marcie at MouseInfo.

Back in the day... DL used to be closed 2 days a week all off season.

Comment

• ModHatter
        Minion
        • Jan 2005

Let's consider Epcot. In essence, what they did was create a two-day park.

Unfortunately, they forgot two things. Ride mix, and supporting that mix by adding more major attractions. The closest they got to thrill rides were Body Wars and Maelstrom. That's a major advantage Disneyland has in this case. We don't have the same kind of space by any stretch of the imagination, but we also already have at least ten rides people are willing to spend more than 20 minutes in line for.

Besides, if DL restructured backstage to finally allow for Residential Street, getting everybody through Main St. would not be as big a problem. Getting more traffic in the Autopia/MBC/Subs area wouldn't hurt either.
        See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
        78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Uncle Remus
          Kirbyshowcase.com
          • Jan 2005

I think Disneyland should not have dead ends, ex: Critter Country, and toon town. For critter country couldnt they just have a path that runs along the left side of the Rivers of America (if u were in cirrter country heading towards Frontierland). You could wave to the river boats and the canoe goers and have a really nice walk by the water. and for Toon town I say we demolish it completely!
          (insert funny comment here)

Comment

• ModHatter
            Minion
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Uncle Remus
            I think Disneyland should not have dead ends, ex: Critter Country, and toon town. For critter country couldnt they just have a path that runs along the left side of the Rivers of America (if u were in cirrter country heading towards Frontierland). You could wave to the river boats and the canoe goers and have a really nice walk by the water. and for Toon town I say we demolish it completely!
            Yeah, you don't get a more dead dead end than Toon Town.

I'm still in favor of restructuring some of those facilities buildings outside the berm north of CC, and create another walkway, with some attractions like an andvanced Bambi darkride. It could carry through to Toon Town, or Toon Town could go away, or the path could gently pass under the berm and come out in Frontierland.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• AmandasDad
              • Feb 2005

Jeez ModHatter, for a Disneyland fan you don't have much nice to say about it. What about the park do you like?
              -AmandasDad

Comment

• ModHatter
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AmandasDad
                Jeez ModHatter, for a Disneyland fan you don't have much nice to say about it. What about the park do you like?
                Well, if you take out what I don't like about it (over-commercialization, and the move away from Walt's vision of a park the family could enjoy together), you have a pretty good idea of what I like.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• AmandasDad
                  • Feb 2005

Fair enough. I agree. But when is it commercialization (Nemo Subs?) and tradition (Snow White's scary Advs)? Aren't they both adaptations on movies that people enjoy?

Maybe it's the motivation for doing it? I dunno. But just because I don't like a very popular movie doesn't mean they shouldn't adapt a ride to it. Perhaps it's that the original rides are done from movies that are REAL classics today. They have stood the test of time. Even in 1955 Snow White was what, almost 20 years old?

As for family enjoyment, I think the park still does that. Sure, not all the rides are for everybody but there is a good mix of attractions for the whole family.
                  -AmandasDad

Comment

• ModHatter
                    Minion
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AmandasDad
                    Fair enough. I agree. But when is it commercialization (Nemo Subs?) and tradition (Snow White's scary Advs)? Aren't they both adaptations on movies that people enjoy?

Maybe it's the motivation for doing it? I dunno. But just because I don't like a very popular movie doesn't mean they shouldn't adapt a ride to it. Perhaps it's that the original rides are done from movies that are REAL classics today. They have stood the test of time. Even in 1955 Snow White was what, almost 20 years old?

As for family enjoyment, I think the park still does that. Sure, not all the rides are for everybody but there is a good mix of attractions for the whole family.
                    One of the key differences between Nemo and Snow White is theme. Nemo simply doesn't fit Tomorrowland. There are so many exciting possibilities for our underwater future, why stick a contemporary story in there instead?

One of the other differences was that Snow White had an interesting story to tell in ride form. Snow White was specifically chosen as the "scary" dark ride. But what about Nemo? Like Monsters, it really ends up being more of a character piece than, say, a scary movie, or an adventure, or something that would lend itself to a ride.

If you look at a concept like Splash Mountain, you see how a flume ride, with its gentle pacing, is suited to a story like Song of the South, topped off by being "tossed" into the briar patch at the bottom of the big drop. There's a design synergy that makes good use of some classic songs (Zip a dee doo dah is almost as synonymous with the Disney magic as When you wish upon a star) and story elements, so that you come away thinking that the ride was thoughtfully created, and didn't just have a character slapped on it at the end to make it commercial.

True, the Subs won't have the benefit of being built from the ground up to mesh with Nemo. Which is a large part of the reason I feel that, IF Nemo proves to be an enduring classic like Pooh, then like Pooh, it deserves a ride built for it from the ground up, instead of just being built on the cheap to sell more toys (as if Disney wasn't selling enough Pooh toys before?). Subs, instead, should either receive an updated show, using materials and technology not available when Disneyland's first E ticket was built more than 45 years ago, or it should be torn out in favor of building new attractions in that HUGE chunk of land. After all, when Disney can ditch Autopia, they should, and that region should be the home of something grand that will make the East Side everything it should be, and if Disney spends tens of millions on Nemo, that revitalization won't happen for a LONG time. The lagoon is going to sit and look ugly for the 50th, so if they're not going to respect the theme of the land anyway, it might as well keep sitting and looking ugly a little longer.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• ah schucks
                      �o� Tom �o�
                      • Mar 2005

The agrument that submarines no longer represent the future is not entirly accurate. How many of us have actually boarded a REAL submarine? Its a technology not readly available to the general public. You can make arguments about those lame tourist traps in Hawaii and other tropical areas, but far more people can enjoy a fake sub ride rather than a real one.

We are jaded as adults because we feel we have been there, done that. We all watched Hunt for Red October and a half a dozen other sub movies so we feel we have explored that aspect of our world. It will be years before commercially viable subs, private subs or any sort of transportation becomes available in the mass market. SO LET IT GO. Kids love to imagine underwater adventures.

Lastly there is a strong resistance to the idea that Nemo, Toy Story, Monster's and now Incredible are Disney branded classics. Expand your horizons, and remember that box office figures don't lie. A lot of kids love these films. Heck I grew up with Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc and there was resistance to that too and now we consider them classics- so back off on the Pixar people, love em or leave em!

Comment

• dshimel
                        Banned User
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ModHatter
                        One of the key differences between Nemo and Snow White is theme. Nemo simply doesn't fit Tomorrowland. There are so many exciting possibilities for our underwater future, why stick a contemporary story in there instead?
                        That has been answered over and over again. You just don't like the answer.

Attractions theme to "exciting possibilities for our underwater future" would grow stale in 5 or 10 years.... Living Seas is the perfect example of this.

Disney is sick and tired of having to redo Tomorrowland every 5 years..... The theme is dead, long live the non-theme.

Comment

• dshimel
                          Banned User
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ah schucks
                          How many of us have actually boarded a REAL submarine?
                          Raises hand..... Was on subs when I was in the Navy, and even took a tourist sub ride off Waikiki when I was stationed in Hawaii. They do similar sub rides off Catalina. Real subs, real fish, real ocean.

Comment

• ah schucks
                            �o� Tom �o�
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dshimel
                            Raises hand..... Was on subs when I was in the Navy, and even took a tourist sub ride off Waikiki when I was stationed in Hawaii. They do similar sub rides off Catalina. Real subs, real fish, real ocean.
                            Dude first you are an adult, don't forget about lil kiddies and families. Second for the price of one of those trips off of Catilina and or Hawaii or whereever, you can probably buy two kids admissions into Disneyland and your kids will probably enjoy it MORE. Last...the Navy bud? I was saying public subs, that don't count, phisssssshhhh.

Comment

• dshimel
                              Banned User
                              • Feb 2005

You asked how many had been on subs....

And the public does own those Navy subs, you're just not allowed on without signing away 8 years of your life.

Comment

• ah schucks
                                �o� Tom �o�
                                • Mar 2005

You asked how many had been on subs....

And the public does own those Navy subs, you're just not allowed on without signing away 8 years of your life.
                                KIDS DUDE KIDS?!?!

Comment

• ModHatter
                                  Minion
                                  • Jan 2005

That has been answered over and over again. You just don't like the answer.

Attractions theme to "exciting possibilities for our underwater future" would grow stale in 5 or 10 years.... Living Seas is the perfect example of this.

Disney is sick and tired of having to redo Tomorrowland every 5 years..... The theme is dead, long live the non-theme.
                                  No... I patently disagree with the answer. People say exciting ideas for the future won't work. Well, before it opened, people said Disneyland wouldn't work either. 50 years later, who was right?

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• dshimel
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

No... I patently disagree with the answer. People say exciting ideas for the future won't work. Well, before it opened, people said Disneyland wouldn't work either. 50 years later, who was right?
                                    But, they've tried both....

Disneyland worked.

Repeatedly, "exciting ideas for the future" have grow stale and needed to be replaced over and over, while the exotic, fantasy rides set in long ago time have kept right on pleasing guests over and over.

Quick, how many rides based on cartoons have been removed from the park... (not ones intending to be temp, like Gumi Bears overlay of boats or Woody's playhouse).

Now, How many rides based on "exciting ideas for the future" have been removed?

Comment

• ah schucks
                                      �o� Tom �o�
                                      • Mar 2005

But, they've tried both....

Disneyland worked.

Repeatedly, "exciting ideas for the future" have grow stale and needed to be replaced over and over, while the exotic, fantasy rides set in long ago time have kept right on pleasing guests over and over.

Quick, how many rides based on cartoons have been removed from the park... (not ones intending to be temp, like Gumi Bears overlay of boats or Woody's playhouse).

Now, How many rides based on "exciting ideas for the future" have been removed?
                                      Its easy to make that argument, the past remains- the present is colliding with future all the time. Every vision of the future since the 1950's has had to be updated to deal with changed in effects, materials, new knowledge, etc.

However I do gravitate towards the first ideas of the future (Jules Verne rethemed Rockets, Spact Mtn <Disneyland Paris> ) or the ones that are so fantastic they are light years away (Star Tours)---think funny Jetson themed rides and looks for Tommorrowland---

Comment

• ModHatter
                                        Minion
                                        • Jan 2005

Interesting... so because people have tried to cure cancer for years, they should just stop trying because so far, no cures have worked? Wonderful theory, but let's not try it.

Again, hate to point out the obvious, but the majority of Tomorrowland attractions that have been pulled since New Tomorrowland (67) have been shows. Mission to Mars, Circlevision, Magic Journeys/EO, CoP/America Sings.

Other shows that have left Disneyland:
                                        Mickey Mouse Club Theater
                                        Country Bear Jamboree

And then of course, there's a plethora of fireworks shows, parades, and exhibits, plus experiences like Tahitian Terrace.

Shows that have stayed:
                                        Fantasmic (Seasonal)
                                        Main St. Cinema (Too small for much besides more retail, often occupied by less than 4 people)
                                        Tiki Room (frequently rumored to be on the chopping block)
                                        Lincoln (going away temporarily...???)

So, yes, shows don't have a long shelf life. But we're not talking about shows, we're talking about E Tickets.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• dshimel
                                          Banned User
                                          • Feb 2005

Interesting... so because people have tried to cure cancer for years, they should just stop trying because so far, no cures have worked? Wonderful theory, but let's not try it.
                                          It's a theme park, not one of the most deadly diseases known to the human race. Oh.. and people would pay tens of thousands of dollars to get a cure for cancer.... People aren't going to line up for the oppertunity to pay tens of thousands of dollars to experience "an exciting vision of a possible future".

Again, hate to point out the obvious, but the majority of Tomorrowland attractions that have been pulled since New Tomorrowland (67) have been shows.
                                          Seems you left out a couple... InnerSpace, PeopleMover, Subs...

Let's expand the argument to include Future World... Horizons, World of Motion....

We'll flip it around...

Which rides in any Disney theme park are "a vision of a possible future", that operate today, are at least 10 years old, and haven't had major rework in the last 10 years?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X