This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] WOC Meetup? Reviews??

For those who don't know imagineers hosted a talkback with Disney fans tonight about the making of WOC. I didn't find out about this even until it was already full. I would have loved to go. It's a shame it happened on a night where the show is still not fully running properly. Was anyone there and how was it??

Re: WOC Meetup? Reviews??

See post #1195 in this thread, there's a full list of the live Twitter updates during the event:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...thread-80.html
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

It was awesome. I will be posting pictures and vids to the WoC discussion chat once I get home! (about an hour and a half)

Comment

It was great! Best bang for ZERO BUCKS.

Checked in, gave 2 complimentary passes to the park (can also be used tomorrow), a Disney Parks Blog pin, and an 8x10 photo of World of Color from their staff photographer.

Meet-up was at Stage 17 in Hollywood Pictures Backlot where Heather Hust Rivera welcomes everyone and introduces Sayre Wiseman (Director, Show Production WDI), Steve Davison (show creator, VP Parades and spectaculars WDI), and Mary Niven (VP DCA).

The talk was really great and they showed a lot of great footage of the behind the scenes of the show. Steven showed some videos he took of the orchestra recording on his iphone and also very early animatics of the show.

It was also interesting hearing about it from Mary's point of view as she saw the potential for the show and really made sure that Steven got the resources he needed creatively to make this as big as it was. This was seen very early on as something that could potentially change the face of DCA forever.

Q&A followed and someone asked Steven what was the one thing that was cut out that he misses the most, and his answer was Alice in Wonderland. They put some of it back into the finale but it wasn't the same scene it once was.

Sayre's favorite scene: Pocahontas, it was the one of the scenes first storyboarded and remained mostly intact throughout the entire making of it.

Steven's favorite scene: Genie

Mary's favorite scene: drawing a blank here.

On our way out we were given World of Color rainbow candied apples and walked over to the viewing area (in the back).

Other question re: the Chernabog tower. Steven says it won't come back in the way they designed it. It just wasn't good enough. It may return sometime but as something entirely different. He promises to continue to change the show.

Overall... fantastic meet-up. Great time and very very fascinating stuff. I'll have pictures eventually. I was supposed to have the day off tomorrow but now that I'm called into the office, it's going to be very delayed.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I'm sooooo jealous. I do theatrical design and production so this was really interesting to me.

Comment

Just a tease....

Comment

I am so bummed. I thought the meet up was just to see the show. Considering it was free I assumed it would just be the show. I had no idea there was going to be a panel discussion as well. Oh well you snooze you lose.

Comment

ooooooh....I want that world of color candy apple....
                Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come:thumbup:

Comment

Here's a few more of my pics from the Meet-Up!

Moderator Heather was asked by fans to take a picture with the WoC banner. She happily obliged.

The auditorium in Stage 17

Time for introductions and a show of hands, of who has been to the previous meet-up, seen World of Color before, seeing it for the first time tonight, etc etc. Folks who were at more than one of the events were given a special prize. As if they weren't LUCKY ENOUGH! Hehe... Bitter, party of everyone except the lucky 3. (but seriously, that's great of Disney to acknowledge those who have really been there for everything)

The panel included Sayre Wiseman, Director, Show Production, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment (raising the roof)

Steven Davison, Vice President, Parades and Spectaculars (also show creator)

Mary Niven (Right), Vice President, Disney California Adventure. It was funny to note that she still calls it Disney's California Adventure (habits are hard to break) and they also showed a video montage where it showed her saying that it was great to have a show that guests can view from all angles. My ears did a double take.

Some interesting stuff... the original sheet music for the original show

A fan tshirt that Steve saw that he really liked.

Signs like this tormented Steve every day, but Mary felt it was great to get the Cast members excited. Steve said that he was trying to find higher numbers to stick back on there.

Steve admits to have surfed the internet and boards for stuff, while never replying. These are his favorite fan posted things that caught his eye (recognize any?). He said if any of you made that, he will give you a special prize.

Again, the candied apples were a last special treat when we were walking out of the building. But before that 4 lucky few had World of Color crew hats hidden under their seats.

I didn't take a lot of photos of the show because I did that the entire first two times so I just enjoyed it for the most part. Here's Lumiere from the preshow

And just a few I did snap

The flamethrowers weren't working until the very end.

Glowfest on my way out

Overall, it was a super event and I feel so fortunate to have been able to attend. Kudos to Disney for doing something like this and taking the time for it. It really was a special treat much like the D23 events. Well done!

Comment

I love that Steve included a tribute to Internet in the presentation and that he is a "lurker" on forums like this. Which MiceChatter made the "Don't judge me so soon" banner?

Comment

i'm pretty sure i was sitting across from you in the left section gaging by your pictures Coheteboy. i'm gonna work on getting pictures out of my camera and up in here.

i really enjoy these meet ups. Hopefully i can catch as many of them as possible.
                      my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

They never repeat things like this right? Just once for each new attraction?

Comment

Lol. I've seen that "Don't Judge Me..." banner so many times, but I don't remember who had it in their sig.
                          The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
                          fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
                          JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                            They never repeat things like this right? Just once for each new attraction?
                            There have only been 2 meet ups, but i doubt repeat discussions will happen. i bet Heather will answer that question if you send it her way at the Disney Blog.
                            my Disneyland and stuff photo album

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 2

my Disneyland and stuff photo album: 3

Comment

Originally posted by SS77 View Post
                              Lol. I've seen that "Don't Judge Me..." banner so many times, but I don't remember who had it in their sig.
                              Me too...but drawing a blank on who it was
                              Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come:thumbup:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X