Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

    I'm just wondering what you guys think about this. There seems to be several inconsistencies when it comes to characters that are masked and those that are not. The biggest example being from Aladdin. In the stage version in DCA, both Genie and Jafar are face characters, yet there park walking counterparts are masked. The same can be said for Captain Hook in F! versus Electrical Parade. Although stunt work is required in his case. Do you guys think this is confusing to little kids, and the continuity as a whole, or is it understood that the stage shows are a different creative universe? I always remember being completely understanding of the differences when I was a little kid myself. They never bothered me. Similar to rides not always retelling their inspiring films and so forth. Also does the style of animation make a difference? I for one think Repunzel would work better masked. Like The Incredibles, 3D animation is so plastic looking on human characters, she doesn't blend with the other princesses to me. I think that's why the animation style works so well for Toy Story.Thoughts?

  • #2
    Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

    I think the look of the Aladdin stage show is similar to, but different enough from the Aladdin film that it's apparent it's a different style.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

      she's joining the ranks of all the other princesses in the park. It would be weirder if she was a fuzzy while the rest are face. Can you imagine seeing those two next to each other in a parade or in PFF? Totally creepy.


      After saying that I realize that Hook and Peter Pan are often next to each other, but for some reason this just seems different.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

        I dislike that WDW still uses masked versions of the 3 fairies. At least fairy godmother isn't anymore and it makes me cringe when I see her masked in Tokyo.

        I wish they'd bring back march hare and make him face, they could do a pretty good face gear job these days to let him have face movement.

        For sets I'm fine with Hook being masked but for parades(read: things like EP) I'd love to see him with prosthetics similar to Dream Along instead.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

          It surprises me that the Mad Hatter is always unmasked when various other human characters with unusual face features like him are not. I dont see why other human characters cant be unmasked unless it's a quick means to allow the characters to not speak to guests.

          I also found it unusual that Lilo is masked...or that she is even a walk around character at all. Seeing a little girl character like her walking around in a giant blown up fashion is kinda creepy to me.

          Originally posted by kcw View Post
          After saying that I realize that Hook and Peter Pan are often next to each other, but for some reason this just seems different.
          Captain Hook needs to be unmasked if he comes out to interact with Peter and Wendy in their walkarounds (same goes for me). I've seen videos with Peter Pan and a masked Captain Hook and it doesnt have the same effect as when Mad Hatter and Alice interact with one another.

          Surprisingly the only villains that I know appear in parades or walkarounds unmasked (in the Magic Kingdom anyway) are: Malificient, Lady Tremaine, Drizella, and Anastasia (and possibly the Evil Queen as well).
          Last edited by toonaspie; 09-18-2010, 06:37 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

            Captain Hook needs to be unmasked ASAP. He's one of my favorite villains and I'm always disappointed I can never talk to him. There's a show on Disney Cruise Line called "Villains Tonight," where Hook is played maskless by an actor, and the effect is incredible. His costume was also a little more ornate and stylized, which was cool. I would love it if that interpretation of Hook were to walk around the park. He's a human character and his face isn't nearly as exaggerated as the Mad Hatter's, so how hard could it really be?

            Other characters that ought to be face characters: Jafar, the Genie, Woody, Buzz. IMO, if he's a human character, he ought to be a face character.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

              I think, and this might sound a little unusual, that the usual Toy Story characters should be unmasked. Why? Well, what sense does it make for a 6 foot toy to be walking around the park? It would seem a bit more believable, and engaging, if Woody, Jessie, and Buzz were "the real" characters and the toys we see in the movies or in the park are toy versions of them. I know in the movies some of the toys are based off tv shows and the others are just toys, but I think in terms of the park, it would make a little more sense. I know I'd be more interested in them as they currently look pretty creepy. Especially Woody who looks more like Jake Gyllenhaal than the toy in the movie.

              I also think it would be cool to see Genie and Jafaar unmasked as well.

              Basically, anyone that is human (or closely human such as Genie) can be pulled off unmasked. However, I understand how it's probably easier to just wear a mask and keep your mouth shut (albeit more uncomfortable) than to wear makeup and prosthetics and keep your character personality constantly on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                Originally posted by Princess Victoria View Post
                I think, and this might sound a little unusual, that the usual Toy Story characters should be unmasked. Why? Well, what sense does it make for a 6 foot toy to be walking around the park? It would seem a bit more believable, and engaging, if Woody, Jessie, and Buzz were "the real" characters and the toys we see in the movies or in the park are toy versions of them. I know in the movies some of the toys are based off tv shows and the others are just toys, but I think in terms of the park, it would make a little more sense. I know I'd be more interested in them as they currently look pretty creepy. Especially Woody who looks more like Jake Gyllenhaal than the toy in the movie.

                I also think it would be cool to see Genie and Jafaar unmasked as well.

                Basically, anyone that is human (or closely human such as Genie) can be pulled off unmasked. However, I understand how it's probably easier to just wear a mask and keep your mouth shut (albeit more uncomfortable) than to wear makeup and prosthetics and keep your character personality constantly on.

                I think it works for the toys cause they're plastic.

                ps. You think Woody looks like Jake Gyllenhaal?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                  I still say Lilo should be unmasked. You can also add Hook and Queen of Hearts to that list.
                  sigpic
                  Home away from Home.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                    Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                    Do you guys think this is confusing to little kids, and the continuity as a whole, or is it understood that the stage shows are a different creative universe?
                    To be honest, I never even noticed. LOL! I'm usually very observant, but the mask vs. no mask thing doesn't bother me in the least.

                    For little kids, their ability to suspend disbelief is so acute that I doubt it bothers them at all either. Take Santa for example... Never even occurs to them that the Santa they see in the mall looks only vaguely like Santa in their book vs. Santa in the movies vs. ...?

                    But even when they get old enough to question the veracity of Santa, the discrepancies generally don't bother them. They clue into the fact that it's not real, but for most it doesn't diminish the fun.

                    Honestly, I think the only people who are bothered by things like mask vs. no mask are us hard core fans who tend toward over-analyzing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                      Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                      It surprises me that the Mad Hatter is always unmasked when various other human characters with unusual face features like him are not.
                      Mad Hatter USED to be masked a long time ago. It's been in just recent years he's now a "face" character. When I was a kid, he was big rubberhead.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                        After meeting Jack and Sally this weekend, I really am glad Jack can speak. They both interact great with each other. Even if the head isn't perfect, I think speech really acts to an overall better experience.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                          In five years all the characters will have those cool moving/talking faces so who for now we can fight through it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                            I was thinking the seven dwarfs....They can do the nose thing like the mad hatter. But for Dopey. He has an odd face shape so I wouldn't know. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Gepetto...and Pinocchio.
                            MEOW.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Face characters that should be masked, and vice versa

                              Originally posted by almandot View Post
                              I dislike that WDW still uses masked versions of the 3 fairies. At least fairy godmother isn't anymore and it makes me cringe when I see her masked in Tokyo...
                              ^^^ Couldn't agree with this more! The Fairy Godmother mask looks especially cheap and plastic-y, like those cheap dangerous, uber flamable, smelly 80s Halloween costumes. The Hag mask is the most annoying to me, though. The Wicked Queen is so great and with the right make up, anyone can pull off the look. But the Hag is just hunched over and makes these feeble gestures... It could have been that the CM wasn't on his/her game when I saw the Hag, but it definitely distracted from the magic.


                              Originally posted by Raindown View Post
                              After meeting Jack and Sally this weekend, I really am glad Jack can speak. They both interact great with each other. Even if the head isn't perfect, I think speech really acts to an overall better experience.
                              Jack and Sally are the BEST. Love them. :love: Love just watching those two interact with vistors. The characters aren't exactly movie replicas (biting my tongue to stay nice), but the CM actors MORE than make up for it!
                              Wanna trade pins or power discs? PM me!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X