X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demigod
    Glad to see it go.

In its place will be a Monsters, Inc. dark ride. Hopefully it will be better than SSL.
    I don't think anything could be as bad as SSL!

Comment

Originally posted by Goin2DL
      I don't think anything could be as bad as SSL!
      As a person who hasn't been to TP for a few years could anyone let me how SSL compares to the Pooh ride? I haven't been on either but I have to wonder which of these much grumbled about rides is the bigger turkey.

Comment

Can't say I'm sorry to see this go!
        The only time I ever rode it, the CM askd what I liked best about it and I said "THE EXIT" lol
        sigpic"To your left we have a welcome neighbor..... Our GE nuclear powerplant"
        Carousel of Progress - Progress City

http://videblog-bearride.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pooh ride is 50 times better .. at least it has some projections! just picture Woopi and strobe light cut out flash photographers! and thats it!
          Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

Comment

Originally posted by College Zoo
            As a person who hasn't been to TP for a few years could anyone let me how SSL compares to the Pooh ride? I haven't been on either but I have to wonder which of these much grumbled about rides is the bigger turkey.
            Compare, both are/were slow rides in oversized dark-ride vehicles, past flat painted plywood sets with fiberglass cast figures.

Contrast...
            Pooh has cute, loveable character and shows scenes that most Disney fans will be familiar with (blustery day, Heffelump dream, Pooh's birthday.

SLL was disjointed scenes around LA, seeing 2nd class celebs that Disney could use their images cheap... Tim Allen doing a stand up, Cher shopping on Rodeo Drive, Antanio in Malibu.

Neither ride really had anything "special" to make it fun... Nothing like Pan's flying vehicles and detailed sets of London and Neverland. No quick turns and set interaction like Toad. No elevation change like Alice. No spinning cars like Roger Rabbit. No laser tag like Buzz...

Just a lumbering ride past plywood and fiberglas.

Comment

Ive been on this ride once. And we were the only people on it. No one else in line or anything. That right there should tell you something.
              Remain Seated Please..... :o

Comment

A happy day in the land of DCA!
                www.deliciousmayhem.net
                www.kidseatingpaste.com

Comment

Pooh has those spiffy effects- I love the water/rain and the pooh floating effect-

I'm easy to please (and in the case of the water- confuse)

Comment

Pooh doesn't blow me away, but, as Nephythys said, it's got some quality unique effects (such as the rain and the honey swirl), and some well done classic dark ride effects (like an excellet Pepper's Ghost followed by a very well done moving projection a-la the Alice in Wonderland croquet gopher). I do enjoy it, but it lacks in depth, length, and pales in comparison to the Tokyo version (kinda like how Autopia pales in comparison to driving a Lamborghini on the Autobon).

As for SSL, I don't even know where to begin. It was garish, tacky, insulting, pandering, obnoxious...The only good thing about the ride was the guaranteed laugh when you see your car's picture at the end. Without fail, most people in the car have a look on their face somewhere between utter horror, laughing, and complete incredulity.

I'm not holding out much hope for the Monsters Inc. overlay. I expect at best, it'll match Pooh. Decent dark ride elements that might be plesant to view, but nothing to write home about.

What I'd LIKE to see go in there instead is a dark ride using the trackless technology from Tokyo's Pooh, themed as if you were filming a hollywood stunt driving chase scene. Send off 2 cars at once (one the chaser, one the chase-ee), go through various street scenes, and end with a spectacular "out of control crash" in an open room, taking full advantage of the trackless system as your car spins out of control knocking set pieces over. Now THAT would be interesting, original, and fit the theme of the land perfectly. So, of course, it'll never happen.

Comment

I hope the MI ride will be unique. I think it was on MiceAge that I read they might utilize a two track design. One track would be high and the other would go low. Giving two different perspectives on the ride. That'd be cool. Or maybe even a hanging style ride (ala peter pan) where you're flying through the factory on the track the doors are on, helping catch that lizard guy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        I hope the MI ride will be unique. I think it was on MiceAge that I read they might utilize a two track design. One track would be high and the other would go low. Giving two different perspectives on the ride. That'd be cool. Or maybe even a hanging style ride (ala peter pan) where you're flying through the factory on the track the doors are on, helping catch that lizard guy.
                        From what I've heard, anything that elaborate has been scrapped.

Comment

I'm going to keep my hopes high for the time being. After, all it has to be better then a closed attraction or an open SSL. I will miss my shady smoking area though

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon
                            From what I've heard, anything that elaborate has been scrapped.

Comment

Yeah, let's recap the more-or-less confirmed rumblings.

M:I will have a small budget. This isn't anything too elaborate, it's an overlay.

M:I will reuse the same track, vehicle guts, and layout as SSL. Supposedly, the vehicle shell will be re-themed, otherwise the actual ride mechanics will be the same.

Pooh was under-budgeted, recycled the building of an existing attraction, and created in Disneyland, next to one of the park's newest E tickets which regularly gets a 90 minute queue, a Fantasyland-style dark ride based on Disney's highest-earning characters, who has been in the Disney family for decades and who had existed for a few more decades before that, and who together with his friends is said to be responsible for about 1/5 of Disney's annual profits. It flopped.

M:I is under-budgeted, recycles not just a building but a ride system, exists in DCA, and on top of that is surrounded by dead attractions and restaurants, and is next to an E ticket that frequently only has a 13 minute queue, and will be a Fantaslyland-style dark ride based on some fairly recent characters who have already been largely replaced in the minds of the general public by Nemo and Incredibles... How well do we really expect this one to do?
                              See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                              78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
                                ... How well do we really expect this one to do?
                                I'd say alot better than SSL. Something is better than an abandoned building.

Comment

THANK GOD! I still remember waiting an hour for SSL ... Very VERY sad I think I may cry just thinking about it!
                                  Originally posted by drunkmom
                                  this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

Wow, I was glad to get some photos of this attraction last week. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be long for this world. Way to go Matt and Greg! You guys are doing a great job with these parks.

Comment

I hope your wrong, but it could flop. I think the Pooh ride failed for lack of effort and imagination. I think the current TDA has a better chance of pulling this one off than the previous one, based on what they have accomplished in a very short period of time. Of course, nobody really knows if it will be a hit, but I believe that the current team could make it work.

Comment

Almost anything would be better than SSL.

Bring back the motor boat cruise in DL, that was more entertaining.

I think the small budget is in recognition that there will be bigger changes in the area in the long term. At this point the only dark ride in DCA is......oh yeah, there isn't one right now (movies don't count.)
                                        The Mur
                                        ______________________________________________
                                        Two different worlds.....we live in two different worlds

Comment

Rode the disastrous SSL once... with my dad, this was about 2 weeks after DCA opened, and was during the week. We had no one waiting in it before us even then. I barely remeber it, it was so bad, I forced all memory I could of it out.

And mind you, this was after the opening glow when they realized a lot of the park wasn't working right, so CalScreaming was down most of the day, and the mini coaster...(Rodeo Dr?). And... well, lots of stuff... but I got to ride Zephyr... which seems to close down nowadays if someone sneezes in Disneyland.

SSL was still there for my second trip, but not my 3rd. And good riddance, glad they're killing it off? I've wondered since then, if this wasn't a ride foisted on them by honchos at ABC like Idiot Iger?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X