X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News DCA Food and Wine Festival Canceled

Per Disneyland blog. No Food & Wine festival in 2011 and 2012

While we are extremely excited with all of the progress to date, we have had to make some changes to accommodate our growth, and today we want to let you know we will not be hosting the 2011 and 2012 Disney’s California Food & Wine Festivals in Disney California Adventure park. This was not an easy decision, but expansion work over the next two years in some areas of the park present significant logistical challenges around scheduling the hundreds of festival offerings.
    Mike

Re: DCA Food and Wine Festival Canceled

This so confuses me. Disney makes a killing off of selling all that wine and food. You figure that would be a cash cow they wouldn't want to give up.

Comment

They could EASILY do the events in the Grand Cal, Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. Heck, they could even do some in DtD.

Still have the wine bar, the wine/beer walks in the park, have taste, the receptions, etc ... and then have all of the tastings/classes etc in the hotels.

This makes me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        This makes me sad.
        Me, too. I love Food & Wine Fest (even though the food wasn't very good this year). However, I can see it would be difficult to work out the logistics with all of the construction. I hope it comes back bigger and better!

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          This makes me sad.
          Me too. We even had reservations already at the GCH for the last weekend of the fest.
          Mike

Comment

Using the construction is just an excuse. There's plenty of room in the Backlot after ElecTRONica goes away. This is too bad.

Oh well, Disney's losing a TON of money from the people who loved the F&W.
            -Monorail Man

Comment

Was Disney really making a boat-load of money off of this event? I know I would have liked to attend events in the past but couldn't because they were so darned expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                This so confuses me. Disney makes a killing off of selling all that wine and food. You figure that would be a cash cow they wouldn't want to give up.
                Common misconception. WDW's F&W makes a killing. California's has LOST money for the last 3 years. The money made off the food and wine doesn't cover the money for the showcases, sets and decor. This doesn't surprise me at all.
                "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

This really, really bums me out I loved the Food and Wine Festival...I had been hoping to save up to go to one of the classes at some point. I guess that might not ever happen now...

I agree that they could have moved it into the hotels...but if it's true that they've lost money, then this whole thing doesn't surprise me.

Comment

I would think they could easily move the stage from the old Sunshine Plaza area over to the new retractable stage they built at Paradise Park in front of the play fountains. I saw them use it once for HSM3 and that area is even larger than Sunshine Plaza and better suited for large crowds.
                    May the force be with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                      Using the construction is just an excuse. There's plenty of room in the Backlot after ElecTRONica goes away. This is too bad.

Oh well, Disney's losing a TON of money from the people who loved the F&W.
                      Construction as an excuse for what? If they make a TON of money off of it, then why would they cancel it if not for all the walls?

Comment

Well if you look at it from the perspective of the revamping the park they did get rid the vineyard themed movie and Mondavi jumped ship really fast! If Pixar ever came out with a movie about wine or grapes I'm sure the Festival would come back immediately.

Might as well change the name to Disney / Pixar Studios.

Comment

This is such a bummer! I had moved out of state for grad school for the last two years and so wasn't able to go. I just moved back to SoCal this summer and was looking forward to going to this in the spring!

I agree that they could do this in the hotels/Downtown Disney/etc. Notice that the blog doesn't say anything at all about bringing it back in 2013. It just says once construction is over they will look at what they could do in terms of special events. =(

I think those of you who think that it was losing money may be right... and they are using the construction as a convenient way to mothball it without outright cancelling it just because they want to save money.

I'm so sad... I went to a class with Michael Jordan at the Napa Rose a few years ago and loved it! It was soo much fun. *sigh*

Comment

I was looking forward to our cranberry bog!
                            I want my cake back!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                              Was Disney really making a boat-load of money off of this event? I know I would have liked to attend events in the past but couldn't because they were so darned expensive.
                              They could if people paid to enter DCA for it. Not sure what Disney's take of the sales was, or if it was just a flat fee per day.

I'll trust their judgment that logistics are making it impossible. Just like having Halloween events at DCA this year were not possible.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X