This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Winnie the Pooh ride: What's with the haters? lol

In the early stages of planning our next Disneyland adventure in 2011. My family and I went this past July, and had the most WONDERFUL time, despite the heat and crowds. Going the week following Thanksgiving next year.

As I explore these forums, I have noticed some Winnie-the-Pooh hating. I'm just interested in discussing why? I suppose I'm mostly directing this question at AP visitors, as you are the most familiar with Disneyland, its rides, history, etc.

My opinion of WTP is that it did not evoke the same feel as the movie (pretty neon if you ask me), but all in all, is it really that bad?

My daughter's FAVORITE ride of the trip, hands down. She was just shy of her third birthday, and quite tall for her age. Not tall enough for Splash MTN, unfortunately, at 39.999" tall (we didn't bother trying to get her on due to the obvious safety reasoning behind height restrictions). While the adults took turns using Splash fast passes, the others would take her on ride after ride on Winnie-the-Pooh. She.Loved.It.

Does anything else really matter?

Further to my opinion of Winnie The Pooh, I was FAR more disappointed in Snow White. It was like "La La La, Snow white story, la la la, huge section devoted to dark scary forest, la la la, suddenly THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER. What's up with that? Did the Imagineers run out of money, time, or space? lol

Two cents from an "outsider"

Re: Winnie the Pooh ride: What's with the haters? lol

Hating isn't the word here. Most people are disappointed that CBJ was replaced with an average dark ride. I don't agree with their opinion but I understand it. Pooh could have been so much more and people remember CBJ as a great attraction.
    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

My son still adores this ride and he's 7. I don't mind it, but I find it disappointing. In another park it might stand out more but we're talking about Disneyland. I think the Imagineers were out to lunch when it was designed. It's basically some plywood cutouts and some very basic 'effects' like blacklights. Disney is capable of fantastic creativity and ingenuity and it completely bypassed this ride.
      Look on YouTube for videos of the Pooh attraction in Tokyo, I understand it's everything 'our' Pooh could have been but isn't.

Comment

I've never understood the hate either. It seems like average dark ride quality to me. None of them are all that stunning in my opinion. And I agree it tells a much clearer story than Snow White. Some people (who I also completely disagree with) seem to feel it doesn't belong in Critter Country because its in the hundred acre woods, and not the America south, but if Fantasyland can have films with German, French, Italian, and English locales, there is no reason Critter Country can't represent the English countryside as well as American. Also it's far better themed than Disney World which places the ride in Fantasyland. That makes NO sense. Once Country Bears (which I loved) was taken out, I think people would have been unhappy with just about any replacement. I think has it been the original attraction there, it would face less resentment.

Comment

Country Bear Jamboree. We all wish they could have left it alone. CBJ was a classic with audio animatronics. Pressler decides to replace it with a dark ride with static figures and only aimed at small children. Compared to Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland we got even more mad when we saw we could have that instead of the current Pooh. There wouldn't be that much hate for it if they had put it somewhere lese and didn't mess with any other rides. Look at Walt disney World. Pooh replaced the classic Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Now all the WDW people are mad at Disney. Pooh's Hunny Hunt replaced the Skyway at TDL. But nobody complains about it because of it's quality. Our Winnie the Pooh always has less than a 5 minute wait time because of it's quality and it's aimed at toddlers. At TDL Pooh's Hunny Hunt has a 180 minute wait most of the time from it's quality with "trackless" vehicle technology and audio animatronics.
          Compare:
          YouTube - Tokyo Disneyland: Pooh's Hunny Hunt
          YouTube - Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh Disneyland Full On-Ride Flow-Through
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1AX2Wys-1E
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIcFaSQgBc
          People don't like it when you mess with classics unless they get a technology update. Perfect examples are in my signature.
          Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

It's a cute little dark ride intended for children. Too many people that complain about things at DL are adults that just want it to be like when THEY were kids I think. I don't see kids complaining that the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse is Tarzan now, or that TSI is the Pirates Cove. And seriously, if you look at it from a kids perspective... Pirates Cove is way more awesome than TSI. There are a lot more neat little things to do there now... as opposed to being the empty place in the park, with the caves that teenagers smoked weed in./ end rant

Comment

Originally posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
              I don't see kids complaining that the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse is Tarzan now, or that TSI is the Pirates Cove.

Movies that people have seen don't equate to popular attractions. Quality attractions do. Splash Mountain anyone???

Comment

I will just say that Honey Hunt is 1000 times better (when the ride is not broken down, lol) I mean its trackless and the whole ride just feel's better and different from the other dark rides. To mean Pooh is like Monster Inc, its a good ride but something better could be there...as for now let them stay but the minute you can get a replacement thats better GO for it.
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I never rode CBJ, so I can't miss it lol. However, I understand why people would. As far as Pooh goes, I think it's a cute ride. Sure, it isn't the best, but my favorite character is Eeyore..so I'm a little biased haha.

Comment

It's a cute little dark ride intended for children.
                    -- noleafclover

You're dead if you aim only for kids.
                    -- Walt Disney

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
                      It's a cute little dark ride intended for children. Too many people that complain about things at DL are adults that just want it to be like when THEY were kids I think. I don't see kids complaining that the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse is Tarzan now, or that TSI is the Pirates Cove. And seriously, if you look at it from a kids perspective... Pirates Cove is way more awesome than TSI. There are a lot more neat little things to do there now... as opposed to being the empty place in the park, with the caves that teenagers smoked weed in./ end rant
                      Well .. Mr. Wiggins beat me to the punch ... but I'll say it in my words .....

You just crafted that whole write-up ... as if Disneyland was built primarily for children.

Walt set a precedent that makes it the popular park it is to this day by entertaining the WHOLE FAMILY. Not just one narrow demograph ... the way today's management works.
                      MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

It is really a nice, easy thing to do after Splash. It is a bit of a missed opportunity, but so is much of the DLR from the past decade.
                        I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Originally posted by CanaDuh View Post

As I explore these forums, I have noticed some Winnie-the-Pooh hating. I'm just interested in discussing why?
                          I think for me it comes down to DL's Pooh is just odd. It really is their version of the "WTF WAS THAT?" dark ride that become famous at lesser parks. It just makes no sense.

We rock the entire way through the ride...we have scenes in odd order that could tell the story of the blustery day if reordered, but of course they "wanted" the arrangement just to be a flavor of Pooh stories...we continue to rock unlike Florida's bounce and drift...and then at the end we get Piglet's voice saying gems like "wake up Pooh...its your birthday..." WHAT?

It isn't bad...it just isn't good. I still make sure to ride it, but it doesn't stack up against DLR's other dark rides of which some aren't just good...they are great (Monsters, Roger Rabbit, Peter Pan).

Comment

Personally I like Pooh. I think it's a nice, cute ride. It's certainly not on par with the headliners like POTC or HM but they can't all be either. I remember CBJ and I had a deep fondness for it and I had been quite sentimental about it. When we went out to WDW last year I was so excited to see CBJ again. But then I saw it and it wasn't how I remembered it at all. Oh, it was the same show but now I didn't like it at all. It felt lame and dated. I think we feel the sentimental attachment to such attractions but once you actually get the chance to do, it turns out it's not so great after all. Some things are better left in the past.

Comment

I understand it's for the whole family... but rides like that are there for the younger ones that can't go on the bigger rides, so, they serve their purpose. From an adult perspective... I actually prefer the pirates cove theme myself even, and the treehouse is a toss up. I never cared much for the original as a kid, and I don't care much for it now. But I do see a lot of kids having a blast on it, so, that works for me. Like I said, I think a lot of the complaining comes from nostalgia. You miss YOUR Disneyland. Do I like ALL changes? No. Stuff like changing PotC to add more stuff from the movie was pointless, since it already was one of the most popular rides in the park before that. Retheming dead or unpopular rides/attractions to try to attract more people to them is fine by me. Like I said... for years TSI was nearly dead, and where the potheads went to hide out. The CBJ had waned in popularity, and the subs as well. So the subs get shut down, and eventually rethemed, as well as the others. Could Pooh be better? Yeah, probably, but it's not really any worse than the FL dark rides. I enjoyed it for what it was when I rode it, as opposed to griping about what it wasn't.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X