Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

The Maliboomer Park...... a waste of space

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Maliboomer Park...... a waste of space

Designers call it "negative space" - a place for for your eye to rest in a graphic composition so that the hierarchy of other elements makes sense. Most experienced designers would agree (I think) that articulate use of negative space is every bit as important as the active parts.

Seems like E-ticket rides have a lot of vocal advocates on these boards, but I would argue that well-themed areas and casual, place-making rides (Peoplemover being a great example) are crucial to a good immersive experience at a Disney park.

Comment

Its not a waste of space.....I mean its not like there are benches every 10 feet, or the a new eating area being made 50 feet away......no we need this park, I mean you can tell by Paradise Park that this little park will FILL up and take in WAY more people than the Mailboomer did because we all know that there are not real parks in every city in Southern CA.
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wedcot View Post
        I think the park they are building where the Maliboomer is is just a waste of space.
        If this new little park was permanent .. then I think we have a good topic ... But as it stands ... it appears to be JUST a PLACE HOLDER .. till something else comes along.

(err - haven't we discussed this very topic a hundred times in all the Maliboomer threads? )

Give it time ... and like Midway Mania ..... this spot will be the entry point to a showbuilding for a great ride that sits behind Screamin's track.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

^Those argments are bad. The Maliboomer had no draw, was costly, seemingly always had red tags, needed a lot of CM's for its capacity, was out of theme, was visable from other lands and thus detracted from them and had a height limit that prevented lots of guests from riding. That is a lot of reasons that nessetated its removal.

A little relaxing space in DCA is not a bad thing, and I don't see why people think that the MB should have stayed until an attraction was ready to remove it.

Originally posted by angle View Post
          Designers call it "negative space" - a place for for your eye to rest in a graphic composition so that the hierarchy of other elements makes sense. Most experienced designers would agree (I think) that articulate use of negative space is every bit as important as the active parts.

Seems like E-ticket rides have a lot of vocal advocates on these boards, but I would argue that well-themed areas and casual, place-making rides (Peoplemover being a great example) are crucial to a good immersive experience at a Disney park.
          You, I like you. haha

I never understand why everything needs an E-ticket at Disneyland now. People talk about the two new E-tickets they hope for in Tomorrow and Frontierland. Disneyland was never fameous for E-tickets alone and people who know better seem to be falling into the trap of wanting more large scale and less charm.

Comment

I did not mean to turn this into a war and after reading some of these replies i agree that a park will look nice in DCA for now anyway .
            WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

Comment

You'll find that most topics carry some level of disagreement. Usually me vs. the world, but sometimes I trick another poster into agreeing with me.

Comment

I like the idea of the park for now. Maybe it will be a well themed area for a meet and greet, a showcase for a musical group or maybe even some off beat act like those found in World Showcase at Epcot. DCA needs more charm- and this could be the space for those kind of human elements.
                Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
                www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

You know that space won't be a park forever. Like someone on here just said, they need to leave some room for expansion and not just pour billions into filling every possible space with D and E tickets. It would make a nice space to have a queue for a ride and then have the show building backstage.

I also think it's funny that we're griping about nothing replacing a crappily-themed ride while there's still four added new one along the way haha. I wonder why nobody's complaining about that big waste-of-space that is the Millionaire building? Seriously, that has been wasted space for what? Six years now? They could easily tear down or add-on to the building and build a Crush's coaster-ish ride in there.

If they were to put a ride where Maliboomer formerly was, what would they put in there anyway?

Comment

^ktc

Comment

I just wish somewhere somehow there is room for a train ride. A conspicuous absence of one. Heimlick's Chew Chew does not count.
                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

so glad there will finally be a place to sit and relax in DCA.... O wait didn't we just get paradise park??....
                        --------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by DLLEGEND View Post
                          so glad there will finally be a place to sit and relax in DCA.... O wait didn't we just get paradise park??....
                          only for the brief few summer months, and then it was only during the day. (WoC owns it after dark) And now paradise park is contaminated during the day with the Disney TV Rocks.

And even DL has a few park areas, including the Mickey Floral entry area, Town Square, the entire main hub area which has a ton of space right in the very center of DL, Magnolia Park in New Orleans Square. . . but with DCA, I can't think of a single place. And as discussed in several other topics, DCA is void of and lacks the waterways and vegetation that makes DL so charming.
                          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                            I just wish somewhere somehow there is room for a train ride. A conspicuous absence of one. Heimlick's Chew Chew does not count.
                            Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is a pinnacle of modern Imagineering greatness. Every Disney park in the world is clamoring for their own.
                            *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                            *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                            *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                              only for the brief few summer months, and then it was only during the day. (WoC owns it after dark) And now paradise park is contaminated during the day with the Disney TV Rocks.
                              Yeah... the park was always COMPLETELY abandoned during the day... Less people there than watching Mr. Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by DLLEGEND View Post
                                I never get this reasoning to be honest. There is more than a few restaurants, stores, play fountain zones, character photo ops and kid areas in a theme park, so whats wrong with having more than one sitting area in a park? Its a tiny parcel of land, as long as they can theme it nicely its fine.

And like its been said, it may not be permanent. I mean, people hated the Maliboomer and now its gone. Either they can throw in another cheap carnival ride in its place again, which kills the point, or wait until they get the funding and time to do it right and create a nice green space in the meantime instead of more cement. Whats wrong with that?
                                Last edited by WorldDisney; 12-12-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X