This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] I Miss The Old Pirates "Evil Curses" dialogue/transition cave audio

Now, at the outset, I will say there are a fair amount of other issues I have with the 2006 refurb. But this one is one I miss every single time I ride Pirates now: the ghostly dialogue by Paul Frees and others in the formerly pitch black tunnel after the treasure room. It was marvelously spooky, brilliantly written, amazingly atmospheric and a interesting tease/reason for the transition to the live pirate half of the ride. Now, I can understand when deciding to add in Johnny Depp, there was some desire to make that a central focus (something I disagree with personally) of the ride. As far as the films go, I like Bill Nighy's performance and the character of Davy Jones on their own merits.

That being said, I don't really think replacing the original narration dialogue with the character of Jones adds anything to the "Jack Sparrow" loose story that was added to the attraction. It's not bad and the projection effect is neat, but before, with the dark cavern, the gradual buildup of fog, and the ominous dialogue: it was near perfect. They replaced almost perfection with something I find just OK, and for no clear story reason that adds to the attraction as a whole.

For those less familiar with the dialogue I am referring to, it starts at 9:57 or so in this video:

YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean Disneyland - pre 2006 refurb

Just count me disappointed, as I have been more frequently of late with some choices in the park, that something that worked so well and was not in any way need of "fixing" basically was forced to walk the plank in favor of something just on the merits of the replacement being "new". It isn't a deal breaker yet for me for the ride or the park, but sad to see the way these choices kind of are building up.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Re: I Miss The Old Pirates "Evil Curses" dialogue/transition cave audio

The original PotC was brilliantly conceived .. and I hope for a day a committee within Disney Management agrees to put some of that original "brilliance" back into the ride.

Back then ... it was about "backstory" ........ Not about a "page to page" story written out for us. There was an element of using our own imaginations to fill in OUR OWN frontstory into the ride.

Loosing that lost a bit of "interactivity" .. that my mind enjoyed. Now .. I just sit back .. and passively watch the front story of Johnny Depp's character unfold throughout the ride.

Upon entering cave .. after the two drops ... the original music score ... into the totally dark tunnel transition .. and other original elements...... had such an incredible feel to it. It's hard to describe.

I can see leaving Johnny Depp's AAs around ... and if there's some backstory of him you're not getting. Use your own imagination. Create your own story for him.

That's just what I love about Disney's best rides. From Haunted Mansion among other greats.

You don't have to spell out a perfect story ... word for word .. sentence for sentence .. page for page. Makes for a "lazy" experience.

Anyway ... RegionsB ...... I know you're just talking about the transitions tunnel ... but I feel the original entire soundtrack from drop #2, among other "classic" elements .. all the way up to the auction scene has a more "magic" feel to it.

Just because they changed it .. doesn't make it more magical than the original "classic" elements. It just makes it "different" - period.

Makes me think of Lucy and Ethel's famous candy wrapping scene.

A decade later .. Bewitched producers tried that again with Samantha, Serena, Uncle Arthur .. this time with bananas.

It's nice to try to reinvent some earlier classic moments.

But who remembers that Bewitched episode .. and who remember Lucy's try at it?

Hence ...
    What will be more classic? The changes in 2006 .. or the original 1967 ride?
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I understand what you are saying in regards to the total audio, but for the rest of it my favorite elements are still there: the echoing "dead men tell no tales", the player piano version of Yo Ho, etc. I am not crazy about the kind of wind/flute version of Yo Ho for the beach scene, it's not an improvement granted, but not terrible. As a big picture sort of thing I am fine with it until the cave and the replaced dialogue it used to have.
      when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

What are the exact audio changes in those sections? The echoing voice is still there, but is the howling wind? And also, was there any change to that eerie, light version of yo-ho that used to play around the beach areas?

Comment

Your not the only one who misses it. Aside from lighting and audio upgrades, the ride should have never been touched. And on the lighting issues: not all of the upgrades were needed/should have been done.
          Quote by Al:
          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
          -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
            What are the exact audio changes in those sections? The echoing voice is still there, but is the howling wind? And also, was there any change to that eerie, light version of yo-ho that used to play around the beach areas?
            The light version of Yo Ho in the beach area was added during the rehab. I don't remember what was there before, I just remember hearing sounds and no music.

Comment

I miss the original dialogue in the dark transition tunnel.

I certainly miss red beard and the non musically scored battle scene as well.

I hope one day that Davey jones projector breaks and Disney decides they do not want to fix it. Perhaps then we may get the original dialogue back and the much smoother transition between acts again.

Dreams do come true right?!!

Comment

Properly warned ye be says I........

Comment

I agree. I really liked the spooky voice in the transition tunnel--so much so that I used it twice!
                  sigpic
                  Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregmh48 View Post
                    The light version of Yo Ho in the beach area was added during the rehab. I don't remember what was there before, I just remember hearing sounds and no music.
                    In the posted video pre-refurb on and around the 7:30 8:00 min mark, Yo Ho is playing. Thats what I was referring to.

Comment

Thank you, Regions Beyond. To this day, I never knew the voice of that dialogue. I'm not one to delve much into background. I just want to enjoy the moment. But yes, the dialogue was a great one. I do miss it, but not too very upset that it was replaced. Pirates still gives me thrills.
                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

That and Black Beard. Those 2 things basically made the ride for me.

Comment

I never quite got why they couldn't put both. Davey is considerably later than the voices kicked in. This is just another fault of the film team that decided to make a pirate movie and call it Pirates of the Caribbean, instead of actually basing it on the ride like they say they have.

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
                            Your not the only one who misses it. Aside from lighting and audio upgrades, the ride should have never been touched. And on the lighting issues: not all of the upgrades were needed/should have been done.
                            Bingo.

Of all the things the Eisner & Iger Empire has done, turning the #1 Classic E-Ticket into a marketing promotion for a Bruckheimer franchise defines them and their sensibilities.
                            "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I agree. Everytime the boat enters that tunnel, I try to play that part in my head as opposed to the current version. There are many things I miss from the original.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X