This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why build Cars Land?

I've been wondering about this for a while now and actually discussed this with a former Imagineer (which did not provide much insight) so I wanted to pose this question. Why did TDA decide to build a land dedicated to the movie Cars?

As I look at it, there is not another land (to my knowledge) that has been built/designed based on a movie, so why this one? When I asked the Imagineer, his response was "because it was a huge sucess". Well, if that were the case why wouldn't Disney decide to build a land based on Toy Story? This to me would open the door for a lot more possibilities of rides and would not tie you down to one particular themed land. Since DCA seems to be going the way of Pixar and Toy Story has been its biggest hit, why not a Toy Story Land?

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this subject.

Re: Why build Cars Land?

They have built a land based on Toy Story at the Walt Disney Studios Paris. It's filled with 3 carnival rides themed to Toy Story. Bugs Land is also a whole land dedicated to It's a Bug Life. It seems one franchise themed lands are taking over the Disney Parks. And I'm not to happy about that. Now Hong Kong Disneyland is going to get Toy Story Land (with the Play knocked out from WDS) and all those boards are acting up with negative feedback about that. I hope Disney won't bring Toy Story PlayLand to DLR. It's just a bunch of Carnival rides like Bugs Land minus It's Tough to Be a Bug and Flik's Flyers (if you can count that one). Disney is losing their imagination. Disney has so far built 2 lands based on movies-Bugs Land and Toy Story PlayLand. Soon it will be 4 lands and all of them Pixar.
    Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 12-23-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Why build Cars Land? Because it's the year 2010 and that's just what the Disney company does nowadays. They have to balance their inability/desire to create original, creatively themed areas and attractions by narrowly relying on movies while at the same time satiating their thirst for money and power by exploiting these movies.

Comment

Believe me, I am not happy about the thought of another movie themed land as well. I totally agree that Disney seems to be loosing its ability to be creative and to come up with something that is so completely out of the norm.

I'm really having a hard time with the WHY behind all of this, I just don't get it!

Comment

Well, the plus side from all the mockups, etc... it at least is going to be a really awesome land, with a great theme. Just a dumb name.

Comment

I would say yes they are taking an easy road but look at your local toy store. While Toy Story toys come and go with the movies, Cars has been popular and remains popular. I think over 50% of what my son is getting for christmas has a reference to Cars.

Disney is walking a thin line. They are building a land that the kids will want to come to. Which in turn bring the adults as well. I know Disney always said he wanted a park for both kids and adults to have fun in, but I don't think that is possible now. They have had to choose a theme that will attract the most revenue dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
              I'm really having a hard time with the WHY behind all of this, I just don't get it!
              Your question is similar to asking why studios make sequels.

Money, for one reason. Although not Pixar's strongest performer, Cars spawned humongous merchandise sales to boys -- a consumer demographic that Disney wants to dominate like their Princess brands have dominated girls. Carsland will have a ready-made kid audience to draw from and advertise to.

There's also the need to rebuild DCA -- Carsland is something big that Disney can ballyhoo.

And there's John Lasseter, who likes it.
              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

From all indications we are getting a truly immersive and innovative land in Carsland. If the suits need to base a new land on a current hit to lessen the inherent risk and justify the large budget to the shareholders so be it. I would love for everything Disneyland to be 100% original as well, but in today's corporate business culture I believe it may be necessary for future big projects to have established franchise material to be based upon simply because shareholders need to be assured the company is not taking unnecessary risks. Unfortunately the days when a single creative mind to sculpt massive commercial projects with a single uncompromising vision are largely over. Things have to be greenlighted on so many levels that true originality is seen as too large a risk to be properly budgeted.
                In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Comment

Isn't this going to be the first land in any Disney park around the world based on one movie that actually is getting decent rides and great theming? One quick question. Are all the rides in Carsland designed by Disney? Or is it just Luigi's Flying Tires and Radiator Springs Racers? I'm not that sure about Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
                  The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
                  fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
                  JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Comment

Looking at how well Toy Story has done compared to Cars, it does make more sense to create a land based on Toy Story if their reason was based on only success. I think they chose Cars over Toy Story, though, because the movie Cars takes place in Radiator Springs, which is already set up as a unique land that would be easier to create a more immersive setting in California Adventure. In Toy Story, the setting is mainly Andy's Room. There are other places like Sunnyside, Al's apartment, and Al's Toy Barn, but there's not really anything huge like Radiator Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Enunciate View Post
                      Unfortunately the days when a single creative mind to sculpt massive commercial projects with a single uncompromising vision are largely over. Things have to be greenlighted on so many levels that true originality is seen as too large a risk to be properly budgeted.
                      Bingo.
                      "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I am actually ok with Carsland and I can't wait to see it. Would everyone's opinion here be different if it wasn't named carsland but had the same layout with just radiator springs racers as the only "Cars" element to the new land?
                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        My company had a special night at the park
                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Toy Story has been more successful at the box office and with critics, but that's about it.

Cars is the single most successful franchise Disney has launched since Winnie the Pooh. I don't understand what's not to get about Disney building a theme park land off its most popular marketing franchise. And the attractions and theming for the land look amazing, to boot.

Comment

I have a feeling its going to be like a knock-off of autopia

Comment

Here's how I see Cars Land:
                              Radiator Springs Racers-Cars themed version of Test Track
                              Mater's Junkyard Jamboree-Cars themed version of teacups (only swaying instead of circles)
                              Luigi's Roamin' Tires-Cars themed version of the old Flying Saucers
                              I have high hopes for Cars Land, but the attractions are just Cars themed versions of other rides.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X