Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big could a the third dlr park be size wise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScienceProject
    replied
    Re: How big could a the third dlr park be size wise?

Originally posted by Trevor View Post

There is absolutly no land over at the hotels to fit a park. If the park is done well, there is absolutly no reason people won't make the 5 minute trip. If you consider how far apart the WDW parks are, that is not an issue.
    I still disagree. Size does not make a park. The size of a 3rd park doesn't need to be as large as DCA, if its say, a waterpark.

As for the other point, while it is true the parks at WDW are spread apart and guests accept it, you do not pass gas stations, off brand hotels and liquor stores while you are walking or bussing from park to park, so it is not at all the same experience as a DLR 3rd park "up the street" would be.

I still think its much smarter to control the variables and keep the parks closer together, while moving parking or hotels to the big offsite land.

Leave a comment:

• ScienceProject
    replied

While I don't have that exactly, I do have DisneySEA overlayed over the potential land. Note however that much of the backstage area for DisneySEA that is shared with Tokyo Disneyland is not shown here.

thanks for the mapping!

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

I think the practises you're referring to are from a very specific part of Disneyland's history that hasn't ended yet per say, but is definitely getting much, much, much better.

In any case, prefab doesn't have to be bad. It can just be done poorly. This is the mistake that was made with DCA and now that they have the mess, carving out good land use in DCA will be a major challenge.

Leave a comment:

• SwinginOnAStar
    replied

^DCA wasn't bad because they couldn't figure it out, it was bad because of huge budget restrictions and forceful mandates from upper management. Had the Imagineers been given free(er) reign, there is no reason to assume that they couldn't have produced a product in line with that which was received at Tokyo DisneySEA. (They opened around the same time)
    The company my in-laws founded contracts with Disney, they consistently do the safety gates when you board rides (Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Pooh, among others) but they also bid on random theme elements around the park (I was at the shop the day they were assembling the lava rocks for Indy, they recently made a bridge for Cars Land and they're making a higher tech Potato Head for I forgot which park). Whenever I hear my husband and the family talk about their work with Disney, it's always about how Disney comes up with this insanely expensive and labor intensive project and when they hear how much it will actually cost to build, they either value engineer the hell out of it until it vaguely resembles what they were trying to do in the first place or they simply ignore some of the physical limitations -which is why Rocket Rods failed, everyone said that the People Mover track would physically not be able to withstand the Rocket Rods BEFORE they were built, but they did it anyway (the shop built a machine to clean up the mess that the tires made on Rocket Rods), so it's not simply a matter of giving the Imagineers more allowances. As much as we hear Blue Sky touting that the 'sky's the limit,' you're right, Disney is having trouble finding that perfect balance between value engineering and Imagineering but that still doesn't explain why a great deal of the attractions are prefab (lol can you tell that prefab is my biggest issue with DCA?). Any way you break it down, it's still a matter of Disney not being able to figure out what to do with the land.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

Originally posted by KBobMan View Post
    And another thing would be: how would they connect the parks? Unless they get the permission from the city to allow them to build a monorail track long enough to connect all three parks together, I don't see how they would do it.
    There is a right of way there but Disney would need to get the city's permission to use it. Not easy, but not the hardest or most expensive part of the project by any means.

Originally posted by SydneyMouse View Post
    I'm all for the idea of tearing down PHP. That would be a great location for the third park.

I was also thinking, what is directly behind Toon Town?
    There is absolutly no land over at the hotels to fit a park. If the park is done well, there is absolutly no reason people won't make the 5 minute trip. If you consider how far apart the WDW parks are, that is not an issue.

I made a quick size comparison of some notable parks.

Leave a comment:

• MagicMountainMan
    replied

^The area that PPH is in is too small for a park. And there's no way they'd ever tear down the parking structure when they have a perfectly usable plot of land sitting within walking distance of both current parks. And behind Toon Town is backstage, that one yellow building that I believe is for Disney University, and then the freeway.

But yes, for a 3rd park, the general infrastructure of the resort would need to be upgraded.

Leave a comment:

• SydneyMouse
    replied

The third park may fit at the Toy Story lot location however I think that is a foolish location. The 2 parks of DL and DCA face each other, then there's that "third park" unconnected down the street. The 3rd park should be connected. Either between DLH and Ball road (demolish DTD and Mickey and Friends parking) or demolish PPH and the parking behind it and build the 3rd park there. That way the gates are within walking distance and build some monster garage offsite at Toy Story lot, that way the parking eyesores aren't around the resort at all.
    I'm all for the idea of tearing down PHP. That would be a great location for the third park.

I was also thinking, what is directly behind Toon Town?

Leave a comment:

• KBobMan
    replied

And another thing would be: how would they connect the parks? Unless they get the permission from the city to allow them to build a monorail track long enough to connect all three parks together, I don't see how they would do it.

Leave a comment:

• KBobMan
    replied

Disney could, indeed, make another park with those. But there are major problems with this. If I'm correct, don't the CM park in the parking garage if the CM lot is full? If so, it could cause some overflow with the parking garage. Before they do any expansion, let alone a new park, they would have to upgrade the parking garage. And besides, the parking garage is long overdue for a upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

While I don't have that exactly, I do have DisneySEA overlayed over the potential land. Note however that much of the backstage area for DisneySEA that is shared with Tokyo Disneyland is not shown here.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ScienceProject
    replied

Can someone technically savvy do a google map showing the sizing of the potential 3rd park sites mentioned in this thread?

Leave a comment:

• MagicMountainMan
    replied

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Your understanding of emminent domain law is a little loose. If people don't want to move and sell, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
    The government can claim a house even if the owners don't want to sell. I'm not sure about a local city government though.

I don't see how Disney could possibly claim emminent domain, but I do think that it's a possibility that they can buy up the houses and hotels, if they haven't already.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Your understanding of emminent domain law is a little loose. If people don't want to move and sell, it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Leave a comment:

• greenalfonzo
    replied

The surrounding properties shouldn't be a problem. First, there's as much land in the parking lots as in DCA. Second, the Supreme Court ruled that local governments have an extended version of eminent domain. A town can forcibly buy land from an unwilling seller for fair market value, and give it to a private company or developer if it is in the best interest of the community.

The houses and duplexes adjacent to the lot do not seem to be super large or espenses, so I see Disney throwing a few $10s or $100s of millions at property owners if they need the land to make DL3 the way they want to.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

^DCA wasn't bad because they couldn't figure it out, it was bad because of huge budget restrictions and forceful mandates from upper management. Had the Imagineers been given free(er) reign, there is no reason to assume that they couldn't have produced a product in line with that which was received at Tokyo DisneySEA. (They opened around the same time)

Leave a comment:

• SwinginOnAStar
    replied

I know that we're in a new era with Iger, and I honestly believe that the expansion will give DCA the touch it's been missing, but I'm still skeptical with what they would do with a third park because DCA was on the drawing board since at least 1990 and Disney still had to watch DCA fail before they were able to come up with a viable solution to save the park.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

Thats what the 1.xx billion dollars is here to fix, plus the promise of more down the road...

Leave a comment:

• SwinginOnAStar
    replied

Aside from the new expansion and a few main attractions, just about everything else at DCA is prefab and filler.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor
    replied

Originally posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    I'm just wondering what they would put in a 3rd park. They're having enough trouble with DCA as it is
    Huh?

Originally posted by MrSarcastic View Post
    Concerning the size of the potential third park and the housing near the lot:

Perhaps this will come off as insensitive, but keep in mind I'm not well versed in the politics of Anaheim.

If you decide to buy or even rent in a development with that close proximity to one of the most well known theme parks/ entertainment districts in the world - you would think that you would be prepared for the idea of expansion around your home. In addition I would think you would be okay with the added amounts of people in your neighborhood, traffic loads and general noise. Actually... isn't the whole success of Anaheim based off of the fact that Disney is there? You'd think the neighbors and businesses would be more than happy for Disney to grow.
    You'd think right? And yet people still complain all the time.

Leave a comment:

• SwinginOnAStar
    replied

I'm just wondering what they would put in a 3rd park. They're having enough trouble with DCA as it is

Leave a comment:

Working...
X