Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Recommend a good book about history of Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Recommend a good book about history of Disneyland?

Hi. I'm new here, but I used to post at alt.disney.disneyland and I've been going to Disneyland since as far back as I can remember.

I already own both Mouse Tales books [off topic: why all the omissions in 2006 reprint?] so what I'm really looking for is a more detailed book about the early years of Disneyland or more specifically the history of the park during the years Walt was alive, or maybe as far as 1967 when PotC opened [if I'm remembering correctly]. Even up to the opening of Haunted Mansion would be fine.

Hopefully one that's at least 300 pages, the more info the better. I would like to get a clearer understanding of what the park was like back then. I did see a book during my most recent trip to Disneyland that roughly fits my description. I glanced through all the pictures which were nice but the book seemed much shorter than what I'm looking for, plus it went as far as Micheal Phelps swimming down Main Street.

So Instead of looking over random titles and risking a bad purchase, I thought I'd ask you guys. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Re: Recommend a good book about history of Disneyland?

I wish I could remember the thread title, but someone posted some good books to read
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Comment

If you're interested in the life of Walt Disney and the early start of the Disney company, I'd suggest "The Art of Walt Disney" by Christopher Finch. Assuming the book is even published anymore, and since it's copyright 1975, I really doubt that.
      The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

My Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit King View Post
        If you're interested in the life of Walt Disney and the early start of the Disney company, I'd suggest "The Art of Walt Disney" by Christopher Finch. Assuming the book is even published anymore, and since it's copyright 1975, I really doubt that.
        I haven't heard of that one but I do own the Neal Gabler book "Walt Disney : The Triumph of the American Imagination" and the Barrier book "The Animated Man : A Life of Walt Disney" plus "The Illusion of Life." Thank you though. : )
        sigpic

Comment

I have the unofficial disneyland encyclopedia. That book has taught me soooo much about past rides and such

Comment

The Unofficial Disneyland Encyclopedia is a good one, and there are books about individual attractions that are official (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, the "mountains") but really there is no in depth history type book about the whole park written yet (Koenig's books are more interviews and some behind the scenes stories, not a outright history.)
            when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

If you can find them, some excellent titles are:

Randy Bright, Disneyland -- The Inside Story. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1987.

Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, Disneyland -- The Nickel Tour. Santa Clarita: Camphor Tree Publishers, 1995.

Morgan Evans, Disneyland, World of Flowers. Burbank: Walt Disney Productions, 1965.

n.a., Disneyland -- The First Quarter Century. Burbank: Walt Disney Productions, 1979.

Although not a single book, a great source of information on the history of Disneyland are the souvenir guide books that were sold over the years at the Park.
              Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

Comment

Hmmm, I'll look that one up. Thank you.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                If you can find them, two excellent titles are:

Randy Bright: Disneyland: The Inside Story. New York, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1987.

Bruce Gordon and David Mumford: Disneyland: The Nickel Tour. Santa Clarita, Camphor Tree Publishers, 1995.
                And those as well... : )
                sigpic

Comment

I would take a look at the list of books here...

imaginerding.com/p/disney-books.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    If you can find them, some excellent titles are:

Randy Bright, Disneyland -- The Inside Story. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1987.

Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, Disneyland -- The Nickel Tour. Santa Clarita: Camphor Tree Publishers, 1995.

Morgan Evans, Disneyland, World of Flowers. Burbank: Walt Disney Productions, 1965.

n.a., Disneyland -- The First Quarter Century. Burbank: Walt Disney Productions, 1979.

Although not a single book, a great source of information on the history of Disneyland are the souvenir guide books that were sold over the years at the Park.

some of those are fine.

Here's my picks:
                    The complete E-Ticket magazines, now available on CD-Rom through the Walt Disney Museum. That would be the best source, IMO.

Nickel Tour, listed above.

The Randy Bright book, listed above.

Walt Disney's Railroad Story, which has long sections on the development of Disneyland.

Window on Main Street by Van Arsdale France

The Morgan Evans book is OK, same for the Quarter Century. No more than OK, though. Beyond that, in general, I've found that the official company publications are usually eviscerated by the legal, branding and marketing departments.

All of the longer bios (Gabler, Barrier, Thomas) focus more on animation than on the parks--a lot more. They are good, but they simply privilege film.

Comment

I am about 2/3rds through "In The Service Of the Mouse" which I discovered from this site. It has a lot of great stories. The first half has a lot of the early days. Later it seems a bit Epcot centric, but still great. It's written by disneyland's first president, jack linquist. Seems just what you're looking for.

Comment

After reading reviews and such, looks like I'll get a copy of The Unofficial Disneyland Encyclopedia. The other titles were extremely expensive, I'm assuming they're out of print, but it's no problem really since the book I'm getting sounds like it's almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you very much. I would add a star under your name if I knew how.

Hmmm I'll look into these other titles as well, thank you. I have heard of the E-ticket magazine but I'm not sure I would want to read them from a computer screen.

edit: Ended up getting Encyclopedia and Inside Story. Thanks again everyone.
                        Last edited by Ezny; 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Mouse Tales is good, I read that and it has History and stories from CM's and Guests in it...a good read for any Disneyland fan
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

The Nickel Tour is the best book written on the subject, and meets your requirements to a "T." Save your money on the encyclopedia and wait to get the Nickel Tour.

The E-Ticket is great as well, with much more in-depth articles than anything you're likely to find out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                              The Nickel Tour is the best book written on the subject, and meets your requirements to a "T." Save your money on the encyclopedia and wait to get the Nickel Tour.

The E-Ticket is great as well, with much more in-depth articles than anything you're likely to find out there.
                              I was able to borrow the Nickel Tour through an inter-library loan. I think I got the copy they had at the Nashville public library. In this day and age of budget cuts, your library will probably have a charge for the inter-library loan. I think mine now charges about $5 per title. Absolutely worth it. -- Suzanne

Comment

Working...
                              X