This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Guest Assistance Card?

I'm going to Disneyland in May for an orchestra trip w/ my school and I have a couple of questions about the GAC if someone will kindly answer them

I know these are given for disabilities that aren't visible cause my mom has Lupus and got one last year we went. I was diagnosed with Lupus a month after we left Disneyland so idk how this will work. Since I have Lupus and I'm going to Disneyland, will I need to show any doctors notes saying I do? And how many ppl is it good for? I dont want them to look at me weird cause I'm 17 and they're gonna think I'm lying since I'll be w/ my friends :/ I won't have my mom there to back me up either :/ on top of the Lupus, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Re: Guest Assistance Card?

I believe up to 10 people its good for. Disney doesn't ask for proof, but I think its a good idea to have it any way.
    I was diagnosed with RA in my late 20's and disney didn't give me problems (then again, this is before teens found out about the pass and abused it...I actually ran into some teens who got a pass because they were on lunch break from school)

Source: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/#parks-q6

Can I rent a wheelchair while I'm staying at one of the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort?

A limited supply of manual wheelchairs is available for Guest rental and use at select Disneyland Resort hotel locations. Quantities are limited, subject to availability and rentals are available on a first come, first served basis. Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs) are not available for rent at Disneyland Resort hotels. When you arrive at your hotel, contact the Front Desk or the Concierge to make arrangements for your wheelchair rental. If you have additional questions prior to your arrival, please call the Hotel Operator at (714) 778-6600. Guests under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian's permission to call.

Or
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan...-disabilities/
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 01-30-2011, 08:58 AM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Comment

thank you (:
      hopefully they dont thinkim lying cause this lupus really has stopped me from doing many things -_-

Comment

Originally posted by DLFreak71 View Post
        I believe up to 10 people its good for. Disney doesn't ask for proof, but I think its a good idea to have it any way.
        I was diagnosed with RA in my late 20's and disney didn't give me problems (then again, this is before teens found out about the pass and abused it...I actually ran into some teens who got a pass because they were on lunch break from school)

Source: Theme Parks | FAQ | Disneyland Resort

Can I rent a wheelchair while I'm staying at one of the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort?

A limited supply of manual wheelchairs is available for Guest rental and use at select Disneyland Resort hotel locations. Quantities are limited, subject to availability and rentals are available on a first come, first served basis. Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs) are not available for rent at Disneyland Resort hotels. When you arrive at your hotel, contact the Front Desk or the Concierge to make arrangements for your wheelchair rental. If you have additional questions prior to your arrival, please call the Hotel Operator at (714) 778-6600. Guests under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian's permission to call.

Or
        Mobility Disabilities & Wheelchair Access | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort
        6 people is the maximum that can be on one GAC.
        Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

Comment

thank you Nicole220
          so the person holding the GAC and 5 other ppl for a total of 6?

Comment

Yes, it's the person with the card plus 5. If you have a bigger group than that, split the group up and the person with the card will ride more than once (I've done it many times). I would recommend asking for the alternative entry pass instead of the handicap one. This will allow you to choose the handicap entrance or the fastpass entrance (if there is one). And if there is no handicap entrance (like at Toy Story), the alternative pass allows you to walk on now instead of getting a ticket to come back in an hour or so.
            Disneyland Blog Posts: http://findingmyinnerbombshell.com/tag/disneyland/

Comment

Originally posted by Higashi View Post
              thank you (:
              hopefully they dont thinkim lying cause this lupus really has stopped me from doing many things -_-
              I also get one for a non-visible disability and I have never had a problem. You just explain the problem and they determine which pass is better for you. If you're concerned you can bring a doctors note, though it is not required.
              http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

Comment

The Guest Assistance Card is a very helpful piece of Guest Service, but it can be very confusing.

The biggest/most confusing part is that it is NOT based on the disability. It's based on what that disability means for you in the park. For example: there's no "pass for people with lupus" but there IS a pass for "people whose joint pain makes it difficult to stand or walk for long periods or climb stairs." So don't worry about a doctor's note or telling the Guest Relations CM what your disability is. When they ask you what your concerns are, all they need to know is what part of the regular line poses the problem for you? Do you need a wider entrance? Do you need to avoid stairs and all the back-and-forth (switchbacks) in the lines? If you're in the regular line will you fall over, or will you start kicking and biting people? THAT'S the kind of thing the Guest Relations hosts need to know. The system is set up so that the Guest Relations CMs can respond to people's individual needs, not just a one-size-fits-all "I'm disabled pass." This is why there's no easy answer to "what kind of pass do they give for (insert disability here)?"

It's also not a menu to choose off of. If you walk in and say "I want the one with this stamp instead of the one with that one." you haven't told them anything about what you need or why you need it. None of the passes (with the exception of the one given to kids visiting with wish-granting organizations) promise a shorter wait. They're intended to help you avoid the obstacles in the regular line, not to give you an advantage over other Guests. A lot of times people come in and say, "I can't stand for a long time, so I want whatever's going to give me the shortest lines at the rides." That's not what the GAC's there for. If you can't stand up for more than 20 minutes, you can use Fastpass or rent a wheelchair so you can sit while you wait. The GAC can help that person cut down on the back-and-forth and avoid climbing stairs and things like that, but if the Guest takes that pass into the park expecting it to shorten the lines, they'll be sorely disappointed. There are a few GAC types that seem to shorten the wait most of the time, but that's got more to do with the number of Guests using said pass in the park on that day, it's not guaranteed. Sometimes the wait with a GAC is significantly shorter, sometimes it's longer than the regular line is (as anyone who has ever used one at POTC can attest).

Last but not least, it is for yourself plus 5 more Guests (as said above). It's not "six people", it's specifically "You plus up to 5 of your Guests." The big difference between the two statements is that you cannot pass it around your group. It's issued to you, so you have to be riding for anyone to use the pass. You can't say "I don't want to do this one; you guys take the pass and go!"

I get the feeling you're not the kind of person who would do any of these things, so don't think I'm directing them at you. They're just the most common misconceptions about the GAC cards, so I figured this was a great opportunity to clear a few things up. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me; I don't want to get too detailed on here, and I'm sure everyone's sick of my long-winded posts.
                "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner31 View Post
                  The Guest Assistance Card is a very helpful piece of Guest Service, but it can be very confusing.

The biggest/most confusing part is that it is NOT based on the disability. It's based on what that disability means for you in the park. For example: there's no "pass for people with lupus" but there IS a pass for "people whose joint pain makes it difficult to stand or walk for long periods or climb stairs." So don't worry about a doctor's note or telling the Guest Relations CM what your disability is. When they ask you what your concerns are, all they need to know is what part of the regular line poses the problem for you? Do you need a wider entrance? Do you need to avoid stairs and all the back-and-forth (switchbacks) in the lines? If you're in the regular line will you fall over, or will you start kicking and biting people? THAT'S the kind of thing the Guest Relations hosts need to know. The system is set up so that the Guest Relations CMs can respond to people's individual needs, not just a one-size-fits-all "I'm disabled pass." This is why there's no easy answer to "what kind of pass do they give for (insert disability here)?"

It's also not a menu to choose off of. If you walk in and say "I want the one with this stamp instead of the one with that one." you haven't told them anything about what you need or why you need it. None of the passes (with the exception of the one given to kids visiting with wish-granting organizations) promise a shorter wait. They're intended to help you avoid the obstacles in the regular line, not to give you an advantage over other Guests. A lot of times people come in and say, "I can't stand for a long time, so I want whatever's going to give me the shortest lines at the rides." That's not what the GAC's there for. If you can't stand up for more than 20 minutes, you can use Fastpass or rent a wheelchair so you can sit while you wait. The GAC can help that person cut down on the back-and-forth and avoid climbing stairs and things like that, but if the Guest takes that pass into the park expecting it to shorten the lines, they'll be sorely disappointed. There are a few GAC types that seem to shorten the wait most of the time, but that's got more to do with the number of Guests using said pass in the park on that day, it's not guaranteed. Sometimes the wait with a GAC is significantly shorter, sometimes it's longer than the regular line is (as anyone who has ever used one at POTC can attest).

Last but not least, it is for yourself plus 5 more Guests (as said above). It's not "six people", it's specifically "You plus up to 5 of your Guests." The big difference between the two statements is that you cannot pass it around your group. It's issued to you, so you have to be riding for anyone to use the pass. You can't say "I don't want to do this one; you guys take the pass and go!"

I get the feeling you're not the kind of person who would do any of these things, so don't think I'm directing them at you. They're just the most common misconceptions about the GAC cards, so I figured this was a great opportunity to clear a few things up. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me; I don't want to get too detailed on here, and I'm sure everyone's sick of my long-winded posts.
                  Thanks for the info.
                  It would make a great sticky (seeing this is asked once in awhile)
                  Quote by Al:
                  To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                  -Al Lutz

Comment

a lot of ppl also miss this little fact too but that card is only valid INSIDE the park. which means the trams insnt included. obviously if you got a wheelchair or crutches of cane,ect,eect, you wont be turned away but it gets abused by so many people who say they are disabled because they have some many kids or the stroller is too big...changes are in the works to fix those kinds of problems...

Comment

Originally posted by sdn86 View Post
                      a lot of ppl also miss this little fact too but that card is only valid INSIDE the park. which means the trams insnt included. obviously if you got a wheelchair or crutches of cane,ect,eect, you wont be turned away but it gets abused by so many people who say they are disabled because they have some many kids or the stroller is too big...changes are in the works to fix those kinds of problems...
                      To take that one step further, it only works at ATTRACTIONS in the park. Don't expect it to shorten the wait for Tinkerbell.
                      "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

(Note, this may sound rude, but I'm just trying to make it easier for both Cast Members and Guests.)

6 people max, that includes the person the GAC is issued to. Please do not misuse the pass. Do not try to have the 5 people go on a ride when the person the GAC was issued to is not even riding. Do not expect immediate boarding. The pass is only valid on the date(s) issued on the card (you can always try to obtain a new valid one once the previous card is expired). Do not expect to always enter through the exit. Older attractions (such as Fantasyland dark rides) may have wheelchair access through the exit. Most if not all DCA attractions are accessible through the front entrance. There is a wheelchair guide from guest relations/ticket takers to let you know where wheelchair access may go to each ride.

And of course, have fun.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                        -Jurassic Park

Comment

oh no no no. im not tryna use it to "get to the front of the line". im just asking questions to make it easier for me ahead of time cause i already know i will have some kind of issue since im a teenager. the many times ive been to disneyland with my family, we've only needed the GAC once and it was for my mom cause her arthritis. it was making it difficult for her to get up and down stairs since it rained the whole day.

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner31 View Post
                            The Guest Assistance Card is a very helpful piece of Guest Service, but it can be very confusing....
                            This was an excellent post that cleared up a lot of misconceptions I held. Thank you.
                            Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                            The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

First off, thank to the OP (from a former CM) for being the type of person who is willing to research before hand what a GAC is all about and how to get the proper pass for your situation.

RummRunner's post pretty well covered it. I just wanted to reiterate asking for one of the Guest Assistance Guides as well. It describes how to enter each attraction - not all of them are the exit. I worked on an attraction that was fully wheelchair/handicap accessible through the normal queue, and often had to lead groups of guests back out of the exit hallway (we couldn't allow anyone to board through the exit, as no safety spiel played there).

Have fun on your trip!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X