• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newsiemj
    New MiceChatter
    • Feb 2011

[Question] To AP or not to AP?

Hey all! I've been lurking here for a week and finally decided to join!

My hubby and I will be heading to DL next weekend (hurray)! We have a three-day pass we bought for $169, and I just read you can upgrade your passes to annual passes.

We are from Arizona, so I hesitate to do an annual pass because it is a six-hour drive, but if we got a deluxe pass, it would only be $160. If we only came one more time in the next year, it would more than pay for itself (if you include the discounts as well on food and merch).

Would it be silly to live so far away and have an AP? Any other Arizonans that have one?

Also, has anyone done the upgrade on their park hoppers to an annual? Do you get your annual pass that day? Would we get the 10 percent off on food and merch for this 3-day visit?

I'm very very tempted, and trying to talk the hubby into it.
  • ToyStoryManiac
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2011

Re: To AP or not to AP?

Not from Arizona, but I think it'd be a good deal if you got one.
    That way, you can add parking to your pass and it would save some money as well.
    Even if you only went a few times a year, it would eventually pay for itself (like you mentioned)

Comment

• penguinsoda
      Jester of Randomness
      MiceChat Moderator
      • Jan 2005

Welcome to MiceChat! We actually have a LOT of Zonies who are members, and many of them have annual passes!

I think the day you upgrade your three day passes to a annual, they become valid that day. And I think that means that the 10% would also become valid that day. Even if you only go once or twice more, it could be worth it do at least upgrade to the deluxe! Heck... with so many Zonies that come to the park, you might even end up car pooling with some of them and end up coming to the park even more!

**Edited to add*

This is an older thread and has been locked, but it gives you an idea of how many MiceChatters there are in Arizona!

Last edited by penguinsoda; 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• pinkertonfloyd
        • Oct 2005

I'm from NorCal (Just outside of Sacramento), About 8 hours away (just under 400 mi). I just went for the AP.

Several Reasons. One we just went there for 4 days (was going to be 3, but once we had the pass, why not?). Then we plan on going to D23 Expo this summer. I figure I might be able to squeeze another trip late year (before the blackout)...

Once you get the AP, you get 10% (15 for the Premium Pass). Basically any thing but carts you get the discount.

We were there for my mother-ln-laws birthday, I booked a World of Color Dinner at Ariels Grotto... right there that saved us $16!. I figured throughout the 4 days alone we ended up saving about $100 (My in laws bought stuff, they didn't have the AP, but as long as I was there and part of the party, they got the discount.).

The general rule is if you think you will be there for 5 days or more, the AP is probably worth it... at least worth it for one of the members of your party (for the discount).

You basically need to trade the tickets in to the AP center (the part I don't know about is if you get the total credit, or the credit minus the day you entered (anyone?).

Comment

• BrodyDanger
          MiceChatter
          • Aug 2009

We live 8 hours away and got the Deluxe passes. Really depends on how many times a year you'll be going. After the first trip, it is really nice not having to worry about paying for park admission though.

Comment

• Theflyingtire
            New MiceChatter
            • Feb 2011

I am probably gonna wait until this winter to buy one. That way The little Mermaid, star tours 2, Goofy's Sky School, Boardwalk restaurants, and Paradise Park, will all be open and have calmed down a little, and I will still get to see cars land for a few months once it opens
            I open in 2012

Comment

• SoCalbma
              Love HD videos!
              • Jun 2009

Yea. it will be worth it to buy an annual pass if you are planning to go for more than 5 times in a year.

If you are planning to go to Disneyland more than 6 times, it will be worth it to add parking for 99 bucks.

It's best for you guys to wait until 2012 to upgrade to an annual pass because everything will be completed over in DCA.
              My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
              http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Comment

• PatriciaW
                New MiceChatter
                • Jul 2009

I am from Arizona and have had annual passes (Deluxe) several times over the last five years. We don't renew annually but just buy another pass when we go the next time. We usually go to Disneyland two or three times a year. I have several high school students and when they go on school trips to Disneyland we have had them upgrade the ticket they recieve for the school trip to an annual pass. Right now we have Premium annual passes as we went to Florida for Fall break and it was cheaper to upgrade to Premium APs than buy a ticket to WDW. I definately would buy the deluxe pass if you can affort it. Having a pass makes of think of reasons to go to Disneyland.

I have never bought the parking because we always stay at the Candy Cane Inn and they have free parking.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                  Beach Expert
                  • Sep 2006

Get one. There are people from Arizona who have one and use it regularly. In fact it would be a safe argument to state that some of these people go the parks more than I do, and I live only 15 miles away.

Comment

• justliketink
                    Tink 2 Three
                    • May 2008

If you are going to be there on Sat and Sun - they are block out days, so you would want to upgrade your ticket to a season pass on Sunday or Monday. If you upgrade it when you first arrive to get discounts, you will have to buy a blackout ticket.

Comment

• newsiemj
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by justliketink View Post
                      If you are going to be there on Sat and Sun - they are block out days, so you would want to upgrade your ticket to a season pass on Sunday or Monday. If you upgrade it when you first arrive to get discounts, you will have to buy a blackout ticket.
                      We will be there Feb. 26, 27 and 28 and it looks like none of those are blackout dates on the calendar for the deluxe pass. Am I wrong?

Comment

• newsiemj
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2011

Thanks everyone! If we have the money, we might do it. Still working on the hubby...

Comment

• aznshrek88
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2008

I would upgrade to an AP.

Please note that the AP will be retro active...if you upgrade the last day 2/20; it will backdate your year to 2/16 if that's the first day of use. Use it first on 2/17, when you upgrade your year will start 2/17.

Everything is a call to you. I would sign up for the Chase Visa, and find the $100 or $200 sign up bonus right now if you want another plastic. Go through chase: here's a reference link:

I know they have a $200 sign up bonus, but it's targeted.

Get the card, your upgrade is only 69 then =). If you want it.

We don't know where your staying so if you're within walking distance ditch the parking, but if not then you should definitely add parking.

Also you always have the option of just upgrading 1 for the dining discount so that you use the Deluxe/Premium for dining and one will expire... you can always just choose to upgrade later.

Maybe consider a Premium for the 15% off on dining. Dining is expensive on resort and know that the % off will apply to places like Napa Rose, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also just an FYI, being local Disney is very very lax on bringing food in the park. I bring in snacks, sandwiches, etc... small things in my camelbak and never get grief...I snack throughout the day and maybe pickup a turkey leg here or there.

Cheers =)

Comment

• LoonAZ
                            • Aug 2009

I suggest upgrading to the AP. We live in the Phoenix area and we have had our AP's since 2008. We have gone enough times to more than make up the cost the upgrade. In fact, we have gone so much in the past few years that I think I'm going to wait a year to renew (our AP's expire the end of July). With a year off we will be renewing after Cars Land opens and will have time for the fervor to see the new attractions/land die down some (and then have another year to enjoy).

The only thing is you need to commit mentally to take advantage of the AP. I have a friend who purchased AP's for his family and then never went back the rest of the year. A sizable investment that was never fully utilized. Disney really made their money on that visit.

Comment

• MJ5150
                              • Feb 2006

Yeah I would say go for it as long as you guys will be going at least 5 or 6 times a yeaR. My fiancee and I live in Las Vegas and we LOVE going to DLR. We moved to Vegas (from alaska) last august and got a good car in November. Since then we've driven to the parks/beach/etc a LOT. So for us, the idea of the AP is great because we know that we are gonna go a couple times a month and after you hit the 6th time the passes basically pay for themselves. We sat down and thought it all out, coming to the conclusion that the Premium AP was the best bet since we would be going so often, the 15 % and 20% discounts, and free parking...it all makes for a huge win-win-win experience, lol.

Comment

• jupitertronic
                                秘密のヘルツ
                                • May 2008

Yep, I lived in Arizona (Mesa, then Surprise) from about 2002 to 2010, and I always got the Deluxe pass. At first I'd only go for a few days before Comic Con in the summer, and again for one weekend during the holidays, and it was cheaper than buying regular tickets. We would just plan our trips around block out dates. Later, we started to take as many as 10 trips a year, which definitely got us our money's worth.

You also get some discounts, though I don't remember what.

We never got parking on our pass since we always used hotel parking anyway (Park Vue Inn or the Disneyland Hotel), so personally I would not get parking on a Deluxe pass. But that's just me.

(Since moving 10 minutes away, we sprung for the Premium pass, but it was never worth it for me, personally, while I lived in AZ.)

Oh, and I only ever flew once. Otherwise it was nothing but car trips. (I don't miss those!)

Good luck with whatever you do!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X