Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Staggs Talks About the Future of Visiting Disney Parks (NextGen)

Originally posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    spending over $1,000,000,000 so people can reserve rides just.... BOGGLES me. over a billion?!? really? is it THAT necessary?!?
    No kidding. It was a huge fight to get 1 Billion Dollars to fix DCA. And now, um, the company is "claiming" that they are going to spend 1 Bil to electronically tag all of the guests. Here are two options: (1) the company has greatly inflated the cost OR (2) tagging guests will somehow produce more than a billion dollars of new revenue and/or labor savings.

Either way, what a dumb waste of resources.

Comment

Dear Disney,

Could you please dump $1b into some next gen AAs? Or maybe into a next gen water ride? Oh I know, maybe if you had dumped $1b into research and development that KUKA ride system (that powers Harry Potter) wouldn't be at Universal; it would be at Disney because it was developed in house. Or here's a crazy idea: why don't you build a whole new theme park for $1b--maybe one based on Disney villains? The last Disney park in Florida (Animal Kingdom) cost less than $1b. Of course DCA cost quite a bit less than $1b as well. But seriously, in this economy, you could buy an entirely new theme park for $1b. The villains idea, that's a winner. Trust me. But any of these things would be a far, far better use of $1b than finding some way to track and tag consumers as they move through your park. If you maintain a quality park, people will spend money there--even if you haven't tagged all of your customers as though there were baby brown bears on Wild Kingdom.

Thanks!

Comment

Not gonna lie disneylandtour.. your sounding pretty spoilt.. I'm not sure what convinces someone that they know better than an industry leader what a good business decision is, but I think they have a good idea what will bring in profits...

Firstly, they are spending over a billion dollars just in DCA, and who can guess how much all of those projects in Disneyland have cost over the last few years (Space, Splash, Nemo, The River, Repaving, Indy's enhancements, The Haunted Mansion's enhancements, The Matterhorn, IASW, The FL dark rides, TSI, Pooh (love it or not), ST2, BLAB, The Monorails, The Terrace Stage/restaurant, Hungry Bear, Village Haus, The Toontown touch ups. etc. etc....). Its easy to think Disney could give us more more more but when you step back and see, we should be happy about these things. Disneyland was in a bad place for many years and now we can see that they are dedicated to it's restoration.

So, if they want to spend another billion somewhere else, so be it. The oversimplification that this is only some sort of "ride reservation system" probably misses much of what this entire project is all about. Ironically as well, the next generation of AA's will utilize this system so in a way they are doing just what you ask.

Competitors will always be able to push the limits themselves but Harry Potterland is just one land that is up to Disney's standards. That hardly dethrones Disney as the finest themed entertainment venue when you consider Disney runs entire parks filled with great environments. On the note of parks, DCA was a $1B theme park 10 years ago. You try to make a park on just that amount now and your looking at less than what DCA was when it opened. Is that what you really want?

Lastly, you talk like this project is only to track customers to make money. Clearly it is more than that so your comment is unfair. Considering Disney has been in the game for over a decade, I think they know what returns the biggest profits. You make it sound like building attractions = huge profits but we can all easily see that that isn't true. Attendance will jump for a while with a big attraction but there is no guarantee that those people will buy from the shops and restaurants and there is also no guarantee that the monstrous cost that attractions ring up now-a-days will easily be covered just from the spike in attendance alone.

Considering too that Disneyland only has one or two easy plots left before they have to start ripping out classic attractions (and deal with the "BRING BACK THE ------" fallout that comes with that), it makes sense that they look into some other methods for bringing in and entertaining large numbers of guests. Real estate isn't cheap so opening new parks, moving backstage infrastructure and packing in even more attractions is not the easy investment it once was. Disneyland is already the densest park around, so jamming in even more with the narrow pathways that are already a problem only spells more disaster.
        Last edited by Trevor; 02-20-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Disneylandtour here are the reasons why they cant do that like that (clicks finger)
          1) They are maintaining standards in other parks such as DCA- Carsland and little mermaid.
          2) New park wont do the job because it gives them more weight to maintain.
          3) There parks already well done
          4)you seem a bit spoilt...

These are only opinions.
          This news have really good stuff we can look forward to such as getting in lines quicker this means people have more time on rides and gives disney more business.
          The only thing which really does quite confuse me is how can it cost 1bn? is that all for research.
          Here come's the bride.
          As long as we live.
          Till death do us part.
          You may kiss the bride.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandtour View Post
            Dear Disney,

Could you please dump $1b into some next gen AAs? Or maybe into a next gen water ride? Oh I know, maybe if you had dumped $1b into research and development that KUKA ride system (that powers Harry Potter) wouldn't be at Universal; it would be at Disney because it was developed in house. Or here's a crazy idea: why don't you build a whole new theme park for $1b--maybe one based on Disney villains? The last Disney park in Florida (Animal Kingdom) cost less than $1b. Of course DCA cost quite a bit less than $1b as well. But seriously, in this economy, you could buy an entirely new theme park for $1b. The villains idea, that's a winner. Trust me. But any of these things would be a far, far better use of $1b than finding some way to track and tag consumers as they move through your park. If you maintain a quality park, people will spend money there--even if you haven't tagged all of your customers as though there were baby brown bears on Wild Kingdom.

Thanks!
            jumping to extremes arn't we?

DisneyWorld in particular does NOT need new parks (probably one of the worst things you could do to WDW for the next fifity years would be add a new park).

If you want to argue WDW needs to add more RIDES to the parks to increase CAPACITY while doing a program like what Disney is announcing you might be pretty right. (WDW in particular needs more rides in each park so they can get a good rotation going and have people leave the parks feeling more accomplished).

Disneyland Resort is clearly on the right track though. Disneyland still get small upgrades and is taken care of well enough to not feel stale. DCA is getting an excellent remake job... I'm sure DLR could do with a third park at some sort and I hope they plot it well and clear out that space around the lot before building. But there's no rush...

Great experiences can be made with the right kinds of tracking and new animatronic ideas could work hand in hand.

If the 1 billion was just to give 60% of rides nexgen queues it would be well worth it (assuming they can keep the queues feeling fresh). People do complain about the waiting and while I personally love seeing bits of the storyline while I wait in line, people have often responded to queues like Roger Rabbit by talking even louder ruining the atmosphere. Busywork will keep people happy and from clawing at the walls.

I really think the only detail the rest of us complaining about is the reservation idea because the way it would work is against human nature.
            "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

There is no way that a system like this would cost over $1Billion to implement. Now the possibility of Disney making $1Billion (should the reservation system be successful) is more like it.

But like others said, that money is better off upgrading DAK and DHS to full day park status but knowing the suits at TDO, they would probably throw it all away on more unnecessary DVC resorts.

Comment

Maybe, since we don't work on the other side of the issue meaning not within the walls of the company, maybe the long long long lines are causing a large amount of guests from not returning to the theme parks. This could be of course 1 issue among many to each unique family experience but I suspect the reason why "1 billion" dollars was put to this was because they want to retain what they may believe is a larger problem. Guests complaining about the long lines and the in park Fast Pass system.

Plus if they "billion" dollars was put towards upgrades and maybe new additions to the parks, well the line issue will still be a problem for the company side of the parks. The same complaint but for all new attractions. I believe the company wants a resolution for future additions and wait times.

Just maybe this plan to spend money is to get future guests to have a better experience and hopefully create a profit of some kind with returning family members coming again, whether or not it be later that same year or a trip for next year. You want that family to come back the following year. You want them to tell their friends and other family members about their short line wait using the new system. You want them to chose you over another vacation destination. You want the guests to believe that half their trip won't be spent in long long long lines but maybe a short "long" line.

That's my shiny new 2 cents on this.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                  It sounds.....ok....I mean can EVERYONE reserve things or just Hotel guests? Also at the end of the article it says "whether advance-planning by some guests could spoil the experience for those who do not pre-plan and arrive at a park only to find the most popular attractions already booked" to me this sounds like HM could be booked for hours for the general guests which sounds unfair to me if your paying 100 bucks for a ticket.
                  i wonder thame thing cuz i never stay in the hotle i live so close i just go the day i relly dont have to stay in roseeott
                  I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattšoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šoš šo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Comment

I don't understand any of this.
                    https://twitter.com/#!/rollinwiththeho

Comment

Fast pass is a very simple and easy program to understand (virtually do nothing...just slide your park pass in the machines provided infront of the attraction). As easy as it is, many don't get it. Will be interesting to see how this works.
                      We don't have full info on this, but to have to schedule everything just takes the fun out of a vacation.
                      Quote by Al:
                      To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
                      -Al Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                        There is no way that a system like this would cost over $1Billion to implement. Now the possibility of Disney making $1Billion (should the reservation system be successful) is more like it.

But like others said, that money is better off upgrading DAK and DHS to full day park status but knowing the suits at TDO, they would probably throw it all away on more unnecessary DVC resorts.
                        Staggs himself gave the $1B number. Regardless of what you belive, that is the reported cost. Lets be honest though, clearly this was not WDW's money so it was never theirs to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post

If most of the Q's at all 6 Disney Parks (in America) get upgraded with new "interactive" features plus the hotels...that sounds like a LOT of money to me......plus all the tech they are making to go behind it all. It's not cheap to change the WHOLE system of your parks to make people no longer wait in lines...the Fastpass was more of a "place holder" type deal...

This system is trying to change HOW you go to the parks...whether we like it or not (I don't, lol)
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Not sure I like this. I can see booking dining, maybe even characters. I can see interactive queues, and faster check in times. But I cannot see booking rides and planning every second of your vacation. I may go as far as planning which park on which day, showtimes, etc. But I would never even think of saying "We're going to be on Space Mountain at 10:30, Haunted mansion at 12..." It just isn't how you do theme parks. They are just that - - a park! A place for you to wander, explore, and discover by yourself. I don't see anyone booking places to see performers at central park, or certain animals at Yellowstone.

I don't know about this... I hope this works out for the better but I have a feeling even if you're not required to use the system, it will have quite an effect on you.

We'll see... but I think a certain little investment called Western River Expedition would serve WDW just as well... if not better! But that's just me.
                            Matt!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                              Staggs himself gave the $1B number. Regardless of what you belive, that is the reported cost. Lets be honest though, clearly this was not WDW's money so it was never theirs to spend.
                              To be fair, Mr. Staggs did say that there were elements of this he couldn't discuss yet. I doubt the full billion is just for this new FP system and queue upgrades he mentioned.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

The "Interactive" ques, slow down the lines. I cannot tell you how annoying the "Interactive" que is in Space Mountain at Dworld or the Soarin Epcot is. It slows down the standby line and makes you wait behind others who insist to continue playing with the "interactive" components of the que.
                                Spend money on new attractions, E-ticket attractions, truly next gen attractions like IOA did with Harry Potter's flight. This is what we need, not more Princess "meet and greets" and interactive ques.

Increase ride capacity by dealing with load and unload issues, maintenance and cast training.

Increase guest spending by offering higher quality eateries, merchandise and package offerings.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X