• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • animagusurreal
    MiceChatter
    • Oct 2006

[Chat] Why Original Attractions Are Good For Business

I think we all know why movie-based attractions are good for business. People already have a connection to them, and it makes them want to visit the park, just so they can "live the movie." (Indeed, I want to go to Universal's Islands of Adventure to enter the world of Harry Potter). Their presence also cross promotes other movie-related products.

Walt knew this too. This is why the Disney classics had their home in Fantasyland, and ties to other Disney properties, such as the True-Life Adventures in Adventureland, were also made.

Walt gave the public what they expected. People do expect to see Disney film properties in a Disney park, and this was just one of many problems with DCA 1.0. HOWEVER, Walt also gave the public more than they expected, which is why, from Day One, there have been attractions that were not based on any specific Disney movie, but stood on their own.

I don't think anybody thinks that Disney should stop making movie-based attractions. But I'm here to say that original attractions can also
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.
  • QuiGonJ
    Not on the Jedi Council
    • Mar 2011

Re: Why Original Attractions Are Good For Business

Well said. A well developed attraction, like Pirates, could also later help develop films.

Comment

• calsig31
      -
      • Aug 2009

One of the best examples of an original ride not based on a movie is the ride that tops the list of past attractions that people most want to see revived... the Peoplemover.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
        Adventure First, Ad Last
        • Mar 2006

The Western Expansion is the next and (may last for a while) hope fot a ride not based on a movie/book/TV show.

For Tomorrowland I just feel like there is a chance for maybe one new attraction not based off Tron or Wall-E but only time will tell since both Buzz and Nemo cam in that land too.

But just saying according to the Disney Blog on a poll Splash was the one of the most poplar rides at the Park so just saying its not always what the ride is based on (kust look at Cars new E ticket ride) but how much time and money go into the projects that make an attraction that will stay with us after we leave the parks.
        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Director_Guy
          Ne'er Do Well Cad
          • May 2009

^It certainly isn't the movie connection that makes Splash Mountain enjoyable. For the first fifteen years of my life I didn't know that it was based on a movie.
          www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Comment

• Tuppence a Bag
            MiceChatter
            • Mar 2011

This is exactly what I've always thought. I love the rides that remind you of your childhood, and nothing else. Remember playing cowboys and indians? "Flying" off the couch? Racing bikes down your driveway? Looking for lost treasure in the grass of your backyard? It's fun, childish scenarios like this that make for great rides.

Comment

• toonaspie
              Nutty about Disney parks
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Director_Guy View Post
              ^It certainly isn't the movie connection that makes Splash Mountain enjoyable. For the first fifteen years of my life I didn't know that it was based on a movie.
              Originally Splash Mountain was going to be themed to another movie...the Touchstone film "Splash". That's why it's called Splash Mountain. (I'm not making this up, I actually read about it somewhere!)

Anyway, I do agree that original attractions are good but are much more challenging for Imagineers to take on. Many of the non-movie based attractions that are still in the parks were those made by Walt himself. That's their lasting power. Any original attractions made these days have to rely on thrill factor or provide a unique extraordinary experience you wouldn't find in a typical movie-based attraction (ex Soarin).

Comment

• noleafclover1980
                Banned User
                • May 2010

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                Originally Splash Mountain was going to be themed to another movie...the Touchstone film "Splash". That's why it's called Splash Mountain. (I'm not making this up, I actually read about it somewhere!)

Anyway, I do agree that original attractions are good but are much more challenging for Imagineers to take on. Many of the non-movie based attractions that are still in the parks were those made by Walt himself. That's their lasting power. Any original attractions made these days have to rely on thrill factor or provide a unique extraordinary experience you wouldn't find in a typical movie-based attraction (ex Soarin).
                Yeah, that was Eisner's idea that got tossed out fast... namely cause that'd suck all kinds of ***. The original name for the ride was gonna be Zip-a-dee-do Drop. Splash Mountain at least rolls off the tongue better.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Director_Guy View Post
                  I would say the same about Toy Story Mania or Roger Rabbit both are just great rides that happen to have characters from movies.

I think Pirates and HM are two of the best rides ever made but if they were done cheap or not right then just like a movie ride they would suck....really what makes a ride good is not soo much if its tied to a movie or not but if it is a good ride.
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• hyperskreem
                    Banned User
                    • Apr 2010

an entertaining attraction is a good attraction. much like Mystic Manor, which wont rely on a franchise to be uber successful

Comment

• skybluefusion
                      Keeper of the fruit rolls
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                      I think it was Samland you read that...when he compared the DL and WDW versions of the ride.
                      -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Originally posted by drphibes
                      SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
                      Originally posted by ReverendGonzo
                      Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
                      DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

Comment

• hyperskreem
                        Banned User
                        • Apr 2010

The "Splash" Darryl Hanna Mermaid Mountain is found in a lot of online articles about Splash Mountain and the ol' once Eisner's son rode it they were sold story back when it was
                        Zip-a-dee River Run (which im guessing where the Grizzly River Run part of the name came)

Many offshore Parks have attractions not based on films that have such amazing and elaborate story lines and themes like Hotel Hightower in DisneySEA or Mystic Manor in HKDL to mention a few. they should start bringing back those attractions with Original "from scratch" story lines and give the Synergy-Based rides a rest for a while...

Comment

• bayouguy
                          Bayou Native
                          • Jul 2006

I rather agree. As an example, Pirates of the Carribean is a gem. An attraction and a restaurant built for the entertainment of Disneyland fans. But like the modern day double header, I doubt that Disney would ever build an attraction with a restaurant within the same building (can I count the Mexican pavilion at WDW?). The next new Tomorrowland could do it, don't know why DCA didn't do it.
                          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                            враг народа
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tuppence a Bag View Post
                            This is exactly what I've always thought. I love the rides that remind you of your childhood, and nothing else. Remember playing cowboys and indians? "Flying" off the couch? Racing bikes down your driveway? Looking for lost treasure in the grass of your backyard? It's fun, childish scenarios like this that make for great rides.
                            I disagree. You just end up back to where Disney runs into problems, this postmodern view that everything is being looked at through the lens of being a child, and far too often that is deemed childish. Instead of rich immersive environments and experiences that seek to present themselves as real, lived in places you get places that are obviously fake (original Disney's California Adventure) or places that do not convey a sense of history, but just get highly decorated with reference to Disney's own past. Frontierland was not about playing cowboys and Indians like a child, but supposed to be a real experience of the American frontier. Disneyland saw itself as being very much a real place and Disney I think Disney is at their best when they offer up experiences intended to be viewed by all as real, not through a frame of reference. Original attractions are so scary to many because they involve this bizarre and "childish" perspective, but an association to the right franchises already has a built in ability to be referenced as an evocation of the past and one's own childhood and the vicarious enjoyment of other children.

Comment

• StevenW
                              Banned User
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
                              If DCA wants to establish its own identity as a full-fledged theme park, what would help do so better than a distinct-to-DCA original E-ticket – an immersive ride with the detail of Pirates or HM – that would say, "this is what DCA is all about."
                              Hmmm. Haven't we been through this before? SuperStar Limo and Golden Dreams. These were original attractions for DCA. Certainly, the detail wasn't there, but the originality was a flop. That's why they went back to fix DCA with movie based ideas that were from actual HITS like the Pixar movies.

Now, you have to tell me what exactly is DCA and what its true identity. The park is now about Walt Disney's California Adventure, yet you have a mixed message with the heavy emphasis on Pixar movies, The Little Mermaid, and Tower of Terror. None of these properties had anything to do with Walt Disney when he was alive.

It would be nice to have a boat ride with a storyline about Walt's California. It should be exciting with original music and such. However, I have great difficulty in figuring out how it would be done TODAY. Expectations are much much higher than before. The public's interest in nostalgia have decreased. People want something new and contemporary. Today's California is in the dumps. The state can't wait until it drives out all the high paying jobs and everyone makes minimum wage.

I do agree that Pixar could be the correct creative team to create an original attraction. However, again, why would it preclude the release of a movie? It is almost complementary. In fact, I think the idea might be so good that they had to first release the movie and then build the attraction, thus defeating your idea that the ride is original and non-movie based.

Comment

• Broadway Guru
                                Embrace the kitsch!
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
                                Hmmm. Haven't we been through this before? SuperStar Limo and Golden Dreams. These were original attractions for DCA. Certainly, the detail wasn't there, but the originality was a flop. That's why they went back to fix DCA with movie based ideas that were from actual HITS like the Pixar movies.
                                Both good ideas, badly executed. If they'd gone w/ the original ideas for these attractions, they would have been much better.

Now, you have to tell me what exactly is DCA and what its true identity.
                                Well, even Disney can't seem to figure that one out.

I do agree that Pixar could be the correct creative team to create an original attraction. However, again, why would it preclude the release of a movie? It is almost complementary. In fact, I think the idea might be so good that they had to first release the movie and then build the attraction, thus defeating your idea that the ride is original and non-movie based.
                                All that would take would be someone at the top saying, "No movies. This one's a park exclusive." Problem solved. Of course, that's unlikely to happen because of this presumption that DL cannot exist on its own as an independent entity, but only as a marketing vehicle for other Disney brands. It wasn't always this way.
                                Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                                Charter Member

Comment

• StevenW
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                                  All that would take would be someone at the top saying, "No movies. This one's a park exclusive." Problem solved. Of course, that's unlikely to happen because of this presumption that DL cannot exist on its own as an independent entity, but only as a marketing vehicle for other Disney brands. It wasn't always this way.
                                  I see it from another angle. If the ride is good and there is enough plot for a movie, its like leaving money on the table to NOT produce a successful movie with the property. If enough people see the movie, they would want to go on the ride based version of the movie. Thus, Disney is earning much more money than before and they are getting a different demographic to the parks.

Think of all the people who have visited Universal's Harry Potter attraction. These people would never have considered visiting Universal's IOA. Then again, this particular attraction would never have been conceived without the property. IT is a true win-win in this regard.

Certainly, Disney could come up with an original attraction first. If we keep saying it should be comparable to Pirates and Haunted Mansion, then to me the movie is already in the can. They WILL make the movie. POTC going to the 4th sequel suggests movies and attractions are complementary. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle.

Comment

• Broadway Guru
                                    Embrace the kitsch!
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
                                    I see it from another angle. If the ride is good and there is enough plot for a movie, its like leaving money on the table to NOT produce a successful movie with the property. If enough people see the movie, they would want to go on the ride based version of the movie. Thus, Disney is earning much more money than before and they are getting a different demographic to the parks.
                                    Ah, yes, money and demographics. The only good reasons to do anything.

Certainly, Disney could come up with an original attraction first. If we keep saying it should be comparable to Pirates and Haunted Mansion, then to me the movie is already in the can. They WILL make the movie. POTC going to the 4th sequel suggests movies and attractions are complementary. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle.
                                    Movies and attractions have always been complementary. I don't think anyone will disagree w/ you there. But nowadays, it seems as though every single attraction must be based on a movie and only the most recent and/or most successful movies. Someone recently coined a term for this: the three P's model. Everything nowadays is either pirates, princesses, or Pixar. That thinking has turned what used to be a magic kingdom for young and old alike into a kiddie park w/ fancy sets. Now, if that's all Disney wants DL to be, hey, I'll gladly accept that I'm no longer the target audience and take my money elsewhere. In fact, I already am, along w/ several people I know.
                                    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                                    Charter Member

Comment

• StevenW
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                                      Ah, yes, money and demographics. The only good reasons to do anything. .
                                      As opposed to ....

Movies and attractions have always been complementary. I don't think anyone will disagree w/ you there. But nowadays, it seems as though every single attraction must be based on a movie and only the most recent and/or most successful movies. Someone recently coined a term for this: the three P's model. Everything nowadays is either pirates, princesses, or Pixar. That thinking has turned what used to be a magic kingdom for young and old alike into a kiddie park w/ fancy sets. Now, if that's all Disney wants DL to be, hey, I'll gladly accept that I'm no longer the target audience and take my money elsewhere. In fact, I already am, along w/ several people I know.
                                      As opposed to ....

People like the attractions like POTC and HM. The movie is almost a side show in this respect. In other words, turn the phrase around "But nowadays, it seems as though every single movie must be based on an attraction" Or a video game, or a illustrated graphic novel, or a comic book, or a vampire love story, or a sequel, or a vintage television show, or a zombie, or Jane Austin, or Jane Austin and zombies, or facebook, or etc...

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                        Adventure First, Ad Last
                                        • Mar 2006

^Dreams and Magic.....duh

Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X