This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] The Future of Tomorrowland

With the upcoming opening of Star Tours 2, it seems as if a great deal of attention is being focused on Disneyland's resident mix-up of a shopping mall and 1998 color schemes: Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland as you may know was Walt's vision of the future and a vista into mankind's ideas and achievements, later re-dubbed a "World on the Move," followed by the "Future that Never Was." It seems as if poor Tomorrowland suffers from makeover after makeover and attraction replacement after attraction replacement. It is no longer a world on the move unless you count the subs, Astro Orbitor, and monorail. Innoventions is really the only thing that takes a glance at the future, but not a very good one. The future that never was never really caught-on despite all the sci-fi-themed rides. My question is, what's next? What do you want to see in a future rehab of Tomorrowland?

There is one rule to this thread: STAR TOURS 2 AND SPACE MOUNTAIN must remain in your vision of the next Tomorrowland. Anything else can go, this is your opinion. But Star Tours 2 and Space Mountain must remain (I had to give you some kind of challenge). Feel free to share ideas. I'll post mine in a little while.
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Re: The Future of Tomorrowland

This is just my opinion, Star Tours and Space Mountain can stay, but everything would go (yes even autotopia). Subs are technically part of Fantasyland, but they are on Tomorrowland turf I guess. Im not very creative, so I dunno what I would put except for a TRON E - Ticket ride. But everything will be "Tomorrow".
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/michael.ebba

Comment

They should destroy all of the 1967 buildings, the sub lagoon, and the Autopia (other than Space and Star Tours), and just start over with state of the art futuristic buildings and attractions that we people in the 21st century think will happen in the future

Enough with the cartoons, arcades, ugly junkyard stuff, air polluting cars, and worst of all, Innoventions

Just start over
      However, it will probably never happen depending on how management becomes in the future

Comment

Attractions
        -star tours
        -Space Mountain
        -buzz lighyear astro blaster
        -Nemo subs
        -peoplemover (ride taken you to the major attractions in tommrowland)
        -stark expo( including a ride and expo also it will be a roller coaster with good story telling even that i not a big fan of marvel in a disney park i this can work)
        -Autopia (car that show electric power and how hybrid car will work in the future)
        -Astro Orbiter ( a new one where it used to be)
        -a 3d movie ride of Tron kind like jimmy neutron at universal studios
        -if their room i would also like stich live
        Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
        GO TEXANS, ROCKETS, ASTROS AND COOGS!!!

Comment

Also if Tomorrowland it all blocked off, that makes the park more crowded and people would be mad about not being able to go on space mountain or star tours

Comment

Two ideas for replacing the subs: Moving the attraction layout around a bit and making it a Fantasyland attraction. The queue would go on into Fantasyland territory instead of Tomorrowland. If not, the lagoon would be partially filled up. If they're going to do a subs attraction they should do it in a dark ride format with "bubble" windows like 20k at TDS. I'll post a full-on refurbishment later on when I get the time.
            "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

The Walt Disney Co. needs to reengage with leading technology companies to come up with visions of the future.

Monsanto's House of the Future and Inner Space were brilliant. GE's Carousel of Progress looked back, but forward as well. The ending of America the beautiful where the Bell Companies showed off the latest in phone technology. Goodyear with the PeopleMover.

Disney needs to partner with Microsoft or Apple or some of the old partners to grasp a vision of the future and start building those dreams.

Comment

I think the autopia should be redesigned with mag-lev technology. Stark expo would be good to replace innoventions. If the peoplemover can't be brought back, they should replace it with something similar to the rocket rods, but based on the light cycles.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                  I think the autopia should be redesigned with mag-lev technology. Stark expo would be good to replace innoventions. If the peoplemover can't be brought back, they should replace it with something similar to the rocket rods, but based on the light cycles.
                  Rocket Rods was fun! Never broke down on us, guess I just got lucky, lol.

Comment

I think Tomorrowland can benefit from a Tron theme, having the light patterns be on the floor and all leading you to a different ride.

They should change Nemo, it just doesn't fit with it being futuristic as opposed to "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" at all. I think something like the creation of underwater cities might fit the Tomorrowland theme more.

Renovate or just make a whole new ride out of Autopia.
                    "A Whole New World with a Tale as Old as Time, that will last through Infinity and Beyond."

Comment

Not this AGAIN.

Comment

How about re-doing the subs to an Atlantis theme? Since the movie didn't do too well, they can theme it to Prince Namor's Atlantis.

I would also replace the Michael Jackson show with something new. Perhaps since it is so close to Space Mountain they can make a show about the future of our space program.

I would also put the rocket ships back where they belong, up high. The can retheme to lok more cutting edge like maybe a lifting body or a ramjet type of design.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

actually one day i was bored a drew up a plan for a Disney park with futuristic tron theme it looked cool in my head and everything was a blue & dark colors it looked very futuristic

Comment

First, get rid of Space Mountain and Star Tours.

Naw, just kidding. But seriously, There needs to be much more movement. I am a HUGE proponent of the return of People Mover. As that most likely won't happen, somethig similar that not only shows off the highlights of the land, but also shows glimpses into a version of the future. This can include glimpses into future people's homes and stuff, using audio animatronics.
                            On that note, make the whole land look more like a living community of the future. A combination of Epcot's Future World and the Jetson's future.
                            Add Horizons, from Epcot. Nothing speaks to Tomorrow better than that classic attraction.
                            I really liked the idea of the subs showing off underwater cities and stuff that was mentioned earlier.
                            Much of it needs to be on a second level, with bridges and catwalks around.
                            Some ambitious attractions NOT based on movies. Original ideas. A trip to another planet, ala POTC. On that scale.
                            Some futuristic hands-on dealies like in Toontown, only themed properly.

I guess I haven't really thought about this much.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Wow... here's the map of the area

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomorrowland.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	7335026

I had no idea that Autopia is nearly as big as the Rivers of America. Pulling that, you could take about the top third of the area and give it to Fantasyland for some kinda Enchanted Forest for a park with a place to do a Snow White's attaction with woods that would lead to a modern dark ride with better audioanimatronics, smoke cauldrons bubbling and a Little Mermaid level treatment. I'm picking Snow White since it was the original Disney film, and you could do a Bambi photo op/woods forest trail there too. I would do these things because trees at Disneyland is cool.

I'd leave Nemo alone and attach it to the Fantasyland area I just created, and then pull Autopia, the old Skyway tower, and I don't know about keeping the Innoventions. Probably making that into the Super Hero Academy (as suggested in another thread) would be a fine idea, but giving that a new building might be better, just coz that building is really only suitable for a Carousel of Progress / America Sings ride anyway.

Next, I would remove the PeopleMover track (which they can't reopen because of that 15 foot exit rule anyway) would open up the entry alleyway just fine. Then level the Jedi Training Academy and the food court to open up more space so that are can be redeveloped.

I'd think about moving Buzz to be near Toy Story Mania at DCA, probably at the old Maliboomer area, to clear out the CircleVision theater, which if made 3D could be reopened.

I really like the idea of just having someone design a coherent architecture for the facades that represents what architects think things will look like 30 years from now and lose the kitschy retro feel it presently has. Going for a Tron look isn't something I would sneeze at, but I would be happy if they can just avoid industrial looks or dark and grimy, since those things just aren't Disney.

And the next item on the agenda is, the original Tomorrowland was educational, not just entertainment. It was meant to show us the future, but we quickly found out the future wasn't things like the Plastic House of the Future, and once you learn certain things, you really don't have much incentive to return to em. Case in point: Innoventions. It is edumacational, kinda, but the fact that most folk only go in there once (and it's nearly universally mocked here), what kinda educational stuff can we think of that wouldn't just retread the old Tomorrowland rides and that would have a thrill factor?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X