This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News The Back Side of Cars Land Mountain - What They Are Doing To The Wall

Al Lutz fills us in on the "Back Story" of the Cars Land project in today's MiceChat Round Up. Many of us, myself included, have been concerned that Disney would take the flat painted wall approach. However, it looks like they do in fact have a suitable plan. Here's Al's take on what to expect.

A lot of you have been asking about what are they going to do to theme the back of the huge Disney California Adventure Cars Land rock backdrop, in particular those areas adjacent to Pacific Wharf and Paradise Pier. As always, take note that any of this may be subject to change, but so far here's what to expect...

As I understand it, at around thirteen stories tall and 280,000 square feet, the rockwork that makes up Cars Land is the largest mountain structure that Disney has ever built in any of its parks around the world. The artistic goal of the huge structure is not just to recreate the Cadillac Range backdrop of Radiator Springs, but to also block out the views of modern Anaheim that have plagued DCA since it opened. The front of the rock work is almost completely done with the hand shaping, and about halfway through with the painting, as the backside remains an open steel grid to allow access to the inserts that support the catwalks along the front side.

Once the front of the massive facade is finished later this summer, the Imagineers assigned to the rock work will then turn their attention to finishing off the backside. As seen from the Pacific Wharf dining area, the rock work that creates the look of a hood and hood ornament will blend around the eastern wall into a less cartoonish rocky cliff that extends due south. That same rock wall will then form a rocky sea bluff that looms above the east end of the Paradise Pier boardwalk.

What hasn't been decided is how Imagineering and Disneyland's entertainment department will handle the dowdy stucco float warehouse that parallels that rocky bluff. That float warehouse was thrown up quickly in early 2002 to house the Electrical Parade that was brought back from the dead in a panic during the summer of '01, as the floats were still being stored backstage under tents. Since DCA's original float warehouse behind California Screamin' is now being eyed as an expansion pad for a future attraction show building, the Entertainment team considers the warehouse behind Cars Land as their long term home. Everyone realizes it has to be reskinned, but the exact artistic treatment hasn't been decided yet.

Then there's the towering backside of Cars Land that faces Katella for four hundred feet, as Disney needs to play nice with Anaheim's aesthetic zoning requirements in the city's Resort District. The big show building that houses Radiator Springs Racers dark ride portion has already received a brown stucco exterior that mostly disappears behind the heavy landscaping along Katella. The tall cliffs are too big to attempt a disappearing act, and they'll be sealed up with patterned stucco.

The view of the backside of Cars Land for those hotels along Harbor and Katella won't be nearly as impressive as the front side, but the increased business they'll get from the biggest theme park expansion in Anaheim history should take quite a bit of the sting out of it for them.
    Well, folks, what do you think?
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: The Back Side of Cars Land Mountain - What They Are Doing To The Wall

A+++ if this plan pans out and comes to fruition. It will really show a full committment from the Anaheim team in DCA and creating an all around immersive experience and better enviornment. There's two ways this could have happen...this rumored route that takes the huge structures meant to make Carsland impressive and use it to their advantage in improving the PP environment which is an A+...or they could have done a flat or textured wall/mural on the backside which while still being great for Carsland, creates a step back for PP in terms of environment. So it was either a big step forward or a small step back and it sounds like they decided to take that step forward which is great to hear!

Comment

Well it will be better than flat or as you say (a flat painted wall )
      AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day šoš 2010
      Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
      Older photo
      New Photo

Member of
      MiceChat WDW Trip
      Next trip
      2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Thank whichever deity you want to. This is great news.
        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Win!
          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

:yea:

Comment

Just what DCA needs. It's going to be a great park to go to in the next few years!

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                Al Lutz fills us in on the "Back Story" of the Cars Land project in today's MiceChat Round Up. Many of us, myself included, have been concerned that Disney would take the flat painted wall approach. However, it looks like they do in fact have a suitable plan. Here's Al's take on what to expect.

Well, folks, what do you think?
                Once the front of the massive facade is finished later this summer, the Imagineers assigned to the rock work will then turn their attention to finishing off the backside. As seen from the Pacific Wharf dining area, the rock work that creates the look of a hood and hood ornament will blend around the eastern wall into a less cartoonish rocky cliff that extends due south. That same rock wall will then form a rocky sea bluff that looms above the east end of the Paradise Pier boardwalk.
                Thank God! I was losing sleep over this. Well, I mean, I even asked the bartender at the Cove Bar if he'd heard anything so yeah, it was definitely bothering me.

Comment

See everyone! Patience does pay off
                  --Mar-Que?!

Comment

I knew they wouldn't just leave it looking super ugly and awkward...(I think perhaps a few too many people got a little too anxious about it, IMHO). It's still a work in progress, after all.

In any case, this is good news

Comment

Now, the Pacific Wharf is situated in the Desert Southwest. That's weird.

Why not build some sort of facade from the Candy Store to the Screamin' queue...

It could be a souvenir stand, bandstand, quick snack windows, but the wooden wall with Coppertone ads with a Float building and a beachy cliff right behind it... It's such an eyesore from your chair at Cove Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mar-Que?! View Post
                        See everyone! Patience does pay off
                        Maybe. I suggest a design competition before they do something half azzed.

Comment

I am glad that they are not going to leave the backside open, I was getting super nervous and telling friends there is no way that Disney would reduce their land quality by leaving it open. This thing is going to be huge and beautiful. I feel like though it's going to take away from Grizzly Mountain though.

Please visit and like my Photography page on Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/JalejandroPhotography

Comment

Lets just hope it isn't a wall with a Mountain range painted on it! I'm wondering how they're going to do this without ruining the Scaling issue. Will the mountain range be too big for the area?
                            DisneyTwins
                            Since May 2003

Comment

Sounds promising!
                              "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X