Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Walt choose Sleeping Beauty Castle?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why did Walt choose Sleeping Beauty Castle?

Hi all!

I am just wondering if anyone knew why Walt chose Sleeping Beauty's castle for his original Disneyland Park? I would have thought that he would choose Snow White as she was his first princess?
    Not that I am complaining because I LOVE Sleeping Beauty, but I was just wondering if there was story behind this decision?
    Can't wait for December 2012 when I FINALLY get back to Disneyland Resort! My first trip in over 7 years

Re: Why did Walt choose Sleeping Beauty Castle?

This is going totally by memory of something I think I recall hearing, so take it with a grain of salt... The castle was originally just a generic castle. The castle was then renamed to tie in with the film when it was released.

Comment

Oh I see, well that would make sense That's interesting that it was originally a generic castle isn't it? Well if this is the case, why then was Cinderella chosen over Snow White in DisneyWorld? Maybe it's because Snow White doesn't really have a castle that we see in the film, apart from her wicked stepmothers?
      Can't wait for December 2012 when I FINALLY get back to Disneyland Resort! My first trip in over 7 years

Comment

Originally it WAS going to be Snow White... and Walt actually calls it Snow White on Opening Day (by mistake), caught on camera.

Before Opening Day, though, the decision was made to call it Sleeping Beauty Castle to promote the movie then under production (which wouldn't be released until four long years later).
        Kevin Yee
        MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
        Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
        Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
        Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
        Mouse Trap
        Tokyo Disney Made Easy
        101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
        Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
          Originally it WAS going to be Snow White... and Walt actually calls it Snow White on Opening Day (by mistake), caught on camera.

Before Opening Day, though, the decision was made to call it Sleeping Beauty Castle to promote the movie then under production (which wouldn't be released until four long years later).
          How interesting! A good way to promote the film but a shame it took 4 years to be released. Imagine how cool the castle walk through would be if it was Snow White's castle!

Comment

ORWEN: But, then, it would be redundant to also have a Snow White dark ride along with a Snow White Castle walk thru. I'm glad Sleeping Beauty got the castle instead of Snow White. Besides that, the castle LOOKS more like it belongs to Sleeping Beauty than any other Disney heroine.

Comment

SYNERGY!!!

Yes folks, even Walt did it...

Comment

He contributed to it's creation.

and

"BREA, CALIFORNIA (Only 10 minutes away from the Disneyland Resort YAY)"

10 minutes, whaaat?
                "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Yep....just like the Pirates ride getting revamped for a movie Walt also did a type of Commercial but unlike Pirates 2 things stand out
                  1) Its not in your face promotion
                  2) Did not effect a classic ride/show to make a quick buck
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                    Did not effect a classic ride/show to make a quick buck
                    There were no classic rides when Walt did it. Everything was brand new. I'm sure if he was around today, he would continue the same marketing strategies that he did then, and everyone on here would be saying he's changing things to make a quick buck.
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

All that was changed was the name. Nothing more, nothing less. I's not like he made any major changes. Or, really, any changes.
                      The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

My Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/130606029@N05/

Comment

Walt had originally planned for Disneyland's castle to be Snow White's.

However, Disney has always done at least some synergy, and Sleeping Beauty, which was in production for the entirety of the 1950s, was no exception. A lot of money was spent to create the film; the style of Eyvind Earle's backgrounds were actually giving priority over the art direction (which included the characters), something that many of the artists in the studio resisted and resented. The backgrounds were beautiful, all painstakingly painted by hand - and just one usually took about a week to paint, which many would say was the main reason why the film was in production for as long as it was.

Anyhow, Walt took a lot of pride in Sleeping Beauty, wanting it to be completely different from all of his other films in aesthetics. And after all that time, care, money (and worries), Walt decided that it would be better to promote his future "beauty" of a film, which is why Snow White got the ride and Sleeping Beauty got the castle.

Fun factoid: If you'll notice as well, in the attraction inside the castle, there is a window showcasing a nightmarish sequence of spinning wheels spinning around and around. This was based on a discarded concept for the film (but at the time the castle/attraction was built, it was in there).

Comment

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post

"BREA, CALIFORNIA (Only 10 minutes away from the Disneyland Resort YAY)"

10 minutes, whaaat?
                          Yup. 10 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                            ORWEN: But, then, it would be redundant to also have a Snow White dark ride along with a Snow White Castle walk thru. I'm glad Sleeping Beauty got the castle instead of Snow White. Besides that, the castle LOOKS more like it belongs to Sleeping Beauty than any other Disney heroine.
                            It's too bad redundancy doesn't stop Disney in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                              Yep....just like the Pirates ride getting revamped for a movie Walt also did a type of Commercial but unlike Pirates 2 things stand out
                              1) Its not in your face promotion
                              2) Did not effect a classic ride/show to make a quick buck
                              Bingo.
                              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X