• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BFJen
    For You!
    • Feb 2006

[Question] Using your Disney Rewards Card at Disneyland

So, I have the Disney Visa Card and since it's been 3 years since I've been to the park, I've accrued a lot of rewards points. I know all the little park perks you get with the visa card, and have been told that you can use the rewards card anywhere that is owned and operated by Disney. But, nobody at the service center can seem to tell me if that's really everywhere in the park. (including Big Thunder BBQ)

Do you any places that don't accept the rewards card? Snack stands? gift shops? restaurants? Or maybe you can tell me where you have used it? I've only used in the gift shops previously.

Thanks everybody! Hope to see you in a couple of weeks!
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!
  • bamato
    DLR Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Re: Using your Disney Rewards Card at Disneyland

Last I checked, there are only certain locations it can be used in the park. They were listed some where... I'll look around..

Aha!! Found it! Disney Redemption Locations - Disney Rewards Visa Credit Card From Chase
    -Brian

Comment

• BFJen
      For You!
      • Feb 2006

That's what I thought, but a customer service gal was saying that you could use it like a credit card anywhere that is owned and operated by Disney. I just don't want to go to dinner somewhere and find out I can't use it. I called Disneyland customer service and they just directed me to the chase website.
      sigpic

Comment

• DisneylandPlanner
        • Oct 2005

Thanks for the info. I did not know this so it will come in handy for our trip next week.

This one time on Friends . . .:roll:

Comment

• Mr Snappy
          MCP Warrior Elite
          • Apr 2005

Actually, I think the CM is correct.
          I know for a fact that I have used the Rewards Card (Not the actual Visa card) at Blue Bayou. It was a bit of a weird deal as the server was totally lost on how to use it, but the manager took care of it and it was fine.

That being said, not sure I would use it at the Dole Whip counter or for a Churro....might be more of a headache than it is worth.

Comment

• BrodyDanger
            MiceChatter
            • Aug 2009

A little off topic, but I am curious about something with this card. I understand the reasoning behind wanting the Disney rewards card (especially with this crowd), but are the rewards actually worth it in comparison to what you could receive with other rewards cards? It seems that you only get 1% on purchases whereas you can get up to 5% on certain purchases with other Chase cards. Obviously it's nice to have money towards Disney vacations, but why couldn't you just take the larger rewards from another card and use it on the vacation?

I'm not trying to judge anyone's choice of credit cards. I ask because I am looking at several cards at the moment and this is one of them. It seems that some of the other "perks" are the same as AP benefits, so I'm not sure there is anything that would convince me to get this card unless there really is some info I am unaware of.

Comment

• Villains Fan
              Always watching...
              • Jan 2005

Hi BFJen! I would think you could use the rewards card (the card you get for your redeemed points) anywhere that takes credit cards, or gift cards. So I'm guessing the only place, off the top of my head, you couldn't use it would be at ODV carts. I'm not sure either about the stores that are not owned by Disney within the park (Crystal shop, sillouette sudio, etc). I'm sure you could use it for any of the restaurants or Disney owned stores. But just to be safe, I would ask the CM where you want to use your points beforehand.

Comment

• Villains Fan
                Always watching...
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BrodyDanger View Post
                A little off topic, but I am curious about something with this card. I understand the reasoning behind wanting the Disney rewards card (especially with this crowd), but are the rewards actually worth it in comparison to what you could receive with other rewards cards? It seems that you only get 1% on purchases whereas you can get up to 5% on certain purchases with other Chase cards. Obviously it's nice to have money towards Disney vacations, but why couldn't you just take the larger rewards from another card and use it on the vacation?

I'm not trying to judge anyone's choice of credit cards. I ask because I am looking at several cards at the moment and this is one of them. It seems that some of the other "perks" are the same as AP benefits, so I'm not sure there is anything that would convince me to get this card unless there really is some info I am unaware of.
                One of the assets of this card is if you book a Disney hotel, vacation package, or cruise, it is interest free for I think 6 months (not really sure of the timeframe). But for discounts, I just use my AP, it's the same value, or better.

Comment

• Barbaraann
                  Chicago Gal
                  • Apr 2005

I don't take a Disneyland, or Disney World Vacation too often. When I do, I usually load a Rewards Card with the dollars that I have accumulated since my last vacation. I always take this Rewards card, along with some Cash, my Disney Visa, and a Cash Station Card on vacation with me. There are some places that will take the card, and some that won't throughout the resort. I know for sure that Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney does not. I usually ask, at sit down restaurants, before I order. When shopping, I may ask a cashier before I shop, in order to speed up the transaction later.

Definitely, I just go with the flow, and come prepared on vacation, with many different forms of payment.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• JulieMouse
                    I'm wishing
                    • Dec 2006

Also, if you forget to get your card ordered in a timeframe that you are sure it will get to you before you leave for vacation, don't forget you can get it at the park.

I actually wanted to use my points for renewing my AP, and I remembered at 11pm at Disneyland. So, I went to the Guest Relations on Main Street and they gave me my card very quickly. I just had to call in and activate it, which only took a minute or two, then 5 minutes later the points were used for my AP! It was really easy!

Comment

• BrodyDanger
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Villains Fan View Post
                      One of the assets of this card is if you book a Disney hotel, vacation package, or cruise, it is interest free for I think 6 months (not really sure of the timeframe). But for discounts, I just use my AP, it's the same value, or better.
                      Ah... I can definitely see the benefit of that. We've talked about possibly doing a Disney cruise. I may look into it if that's the case. Though I'm not sure if I would enjoy paying for a vacation after the fact. Seems a tad depressing. )

Comment

• BFJen
                        For You!
                        • Feb 2006

When my kids were smaller, the free stroller was the best perk ever. Frankly, with 1% rewards and a 19% apr - it's not really worth it, but I pay off my card every month, so the APR doesn't bug me too much. I just like the cute castle design. It makes me smile. The little 10% off here and there is nice, but since I don't get to go to Disneyland like I used to...

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I will just have to ask beforehand!
                        sigpic

Comment

• disneylandkitty
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2006

I've used mine at blue byu, haus (pinocio) resturaunt, piza port, alot of shops, almost every snack cart, bangle bbq, world of disney and the candy shop disney owns in downtown disney.. Never had anyone tell me no I couldn't use it. I have earned alot of points through out the years.

Comment

• BFJen
                            For You!
                            • Feb 2006

Kitty, is that the actual visa card or the rewards card? I didn't know you could even use a credit card at the snack carts...
                            sigpic

Comment

• ManaByte
                              Banned User
                              • Sep 2005

Some of the newer ODV carts have a computer with a card swipe and some will even give you the AP discount now.

Comment

• disneyrand1
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jul 2009

I used my rewards card at the Blue Bayou two years ago, FWIW.

Comment

• ManaByte
                                  Banned User
                                  • Sep 2005

The rewards card works the same as a gift card and can be used anywhere that takes a gift card.

Comment

• BFJen
                                    For You!
                                    • Feb 2006

that's great to know!!! Frankly my kids could use all of the rewards points on churros!
                                    sigpic

Comment

• bamato
                                      DLR Enthusiast
                                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BrodyDanger View Post

Honestly, no. It's not a very good card to have. The points accumulate slowly, and the discounts are far from stellar. I originally got it because I just thought having a Disney Visa was cool. But considering it took me spending 20k on the card to save up 200$ in rewards... when you look at it like that, you know you're losing.

Historically, I used that Visa for all my bill pay. However, I'll be switching to a lower interest, higher point value card soon. And just use the cash rewards to pay for park tickets

And on a side note, I was very frustrated with it being a Disney exclusive reward card. I get discounts through work on park tickets, so I had to pay full price on admission just so I could use my points... The point is moot, I know... but whatevs
                                      -Brian

Comment

• Sambo
                                        Down Pluto!
                                        • Feb 2005

Just got back a couple of days ago from a week in the park, and my rewards card was accepted everywhere - food, stores, etc. Just like a gift card. No problem. Been doing it this way since the beginning. (Charter Member)

As far as the Chase Disney Card - sure it has higher interest, but if you pay it off every month, there is no charge. I use mine primarily for those repeating monthly charges, i.e. Netflix, server rental, etc. It gets used for auto repairs, dental bills, Hotel and Airline reservations (as for a Disneyland stay) and other places that don't accept ATM or are too large a payment without transferring funds beforehand. Only a couple of times have I not been able to pay it off by the end of the billing period - thus accruing interest charges. The bonus being that I can transfer those points to a card and basically have free meals when in Disneyland for a few days. Chase frequently offers 3x, 5x, and more points on selected purchases.

Different strokes... Your mileage may vary.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X