This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
    Did you notice that you were actually riding the Matterhorn disguised as Space Mountain in Florida? I did. It felt like the same exact ride in the semi-dark.
    I almost wish I hadn't know this before riding SM in Florida. I spent my time trying to figure out the differences rather than enjoying the ride itself.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
      Did you notice that you were actually riding the Matterhorn disguised as Space Mountain in Florida? I did. It felt like the same exact ride in the semi-dark.
      Al claims that they are the same layout too, but I just don't belive it. First of all, SM seems so much fater, and I don't see a lot of little tires keeping the trains moving. Plus, I didn't hear any polka music.
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage
        Al claims that they are the same layout too, but I just don't belive it. First of all, SM seems so much fater, and I don't see a lot of little tires keeping the trains moving. Plus, I didn't hear any polka music.
        What gives it away is the loading area. Exactly like Matterhorn. Two sides going off in different directions.

Comment

Ah, the common misperception raises its dreary head once-more. Sorry, folks, but neither of Florida's two ORIGINAL Space Mountain track layouts is the same as the Matterhorn's. Bobsled-style vehicles are the similar, as are other elements of the ride system. But the track layouts are unique, and neither the Alpha or Omega track copied the Matterhorn bobsled course.

As for whether it pales in comparison, that's to each his own. I happen to love Florida's original. It's HUGE (big enough for two tracks inside the dome), you are waaaaay up scary high at the top of the coaster, there are some decent drops (as compared to Anaheims), and both the launch and landing sequences are far superior (at least to what we used to have ... let's hope for a turnaround in those areas when Space reopens at Disneyland!)

Comment

Disneyland will really feel like "Disneyland" again when we go rushing for that last ride on Space Mountain before the park closes.

Especially after a few martinis and armed with some light-refracting glasses. I seem to recall a very Jewish Space Mountain run one late evening
            I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
            sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

I want to know more about the new theme. Is it going to be like the rethemed version of the Paris Space Mt?
              MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Save

Comment

yeah i cant wait for space mountain to return....it has been gone for awhile now and im pretty sure that it is pretty well missed......what about a may 5th opening of space??
                "Something Wicked This Way Comes....."

"You know what you got to do when life brings you down, you swim. Just keep swimming, swimming swimming......" ---Dory

"A Princess in search of her Prince Charming.....or close to it....If you think you are him or know him please send a message or resume......"

Comment

I've heard we'll get it in May. I can't wait.

Comment

I guess July. Btw nice to see you guys here lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage
                      I want to know more about the new theme. Is it going to be like the rethemed version of the Paris Space Mt?
                      Not as far as I can tell.

Paris is getting an escape-the-exploding-supernova theme.

Ours is, from all I've heard, going to be much less specific than that. Very outer-spacey*, but not with so much "story."

Heheh, I sure wouldn't mind getting leftovers of Paris' cast-off theme. But I guess we'd need lots of asteroids for that (not to mention a loop and some corkscrews).

* no relation to kevin spacey

Comment

I was talking to one of the construction workers he said it almost finish there are in test mode now. They are working on the punch list now

Comment

I wonder if they are going to still be going with the two different soundtracks (one for daytime and one for night)?

If they are, I was hoping that they might use the original Disneyland Space Mountain score for the daytime version (as opposed to the Dick Dale riff on Carnivale of the Animals that everyone has become familiar with).

Most people don't recall that there was a different track for one or two months before they started using the Dick Dale song. I really liked that one, too. Anyone remember that? Anyone know what track it was or who it was by?

Comment

I can't wait until the ride opens. I have waited patiently to ride this ride, but my patience is running out. I will try to hold out, but if Disneyland needs a test dummy, I am ready.
                            It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                              I wonder if they are going to still be going with the two different soundtracks (one for daytime and one for night)?

If they are, I was hoping that they might use the original Disneyland Space Mountain score for the daytime version (as opposed to the Dick Dale riff on Carnivale of the Animals that everyone has become familiar with).

Most people don't recall that there was a different track for one or two months before they started using the Dick Dale song. I really liked that one, too. Anyone remember that? Anyone know what track it was or who it was by?

I'm bumping your post because I'm so curious. I don't remember a different score. Does anyone out there have a copy of it or remember it?

Save

Comment

I had been going to DL for my whole life and I had never ridden it.
                                (But I have ridden SM-WDW many times.) I really cant wait though either way.
                                "To all who come to this happy place, welcome..."

Comment

Update: Rockets were running today. Loud sounds coming from the inside and sound great.

Walt's love of Trains!

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                                    Paris is getting an escape-the-exploding-supernova theme.
                                    Shame. The theme in the ride as it were was very strong and actually brought some sort of circumstance to Space Mtn, with a bit more story than what I hear of the others. Aside from the track getting more and more rough as Vekoma tracks do, the ride was supposedly quite a showcase for Imagineering with way more effects than "riding around in the dark."

I'm kind of sad to admit it, but I never went on Space in it's previous form despite all my visits. Since I don't see myself getting away from the west coast anytime soon, the 50th remake of Space will be the first time I actually see it, barring I chicken out again. I hope I do go this time, though. I'm planning our trip later in the year specifically so it'll be open by then.

Only thing I can really hope for: More vertical room in the track! Just looking at the lights-on pictures I've found online makes me want to duck so my head doesn't get cut off.

Comment

Get this baby open by July 17.. and i will be happy... (I want on ride!!!!)

It is soo much better than WDW's... though WDW's is the original and WDW's is designed to be the Matterhorn of WDW... hance 2 racks.. it is "based" on the concept.. not a duplicate.. i can tell that....

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland RR Guy
                                        Update: Rockets were running today. Loud sounds coming from the inside and sound great.
                                        Thanks for the information...

Any idea on how many rockets are currently being run at once?

Comment

Greetings, Just wanted to say I look forward to seeing the new Space Mountain. I will miss the old one. I am glad I was able to ride before the changes. My last ride on that was 1996

My pic for the opening is July 17th. Or my Birthady in June
                                          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X