Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should video game attractions be in Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in a sense, while it isn't literally based on an existing video game, Buzz is essentially designed as a ride-through shooting gallery, which is all many video games are. And really, isn't Star Tours an awful lot like the now-ancient SW arcade game. Even Indy in many ways resembles oen of the Jurassic Park ride-on arcade games

I think the key is to find a property that is very environmental. and/or make sure that the ride vehicle is unique and thrilling in and of itself. Indy is a blend of both, and while that vehicle shouldn't be the basis of every new ride, the kind of imagineering that went on for that ride is a role model to be remembered.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
      Well, in a sense, while it isn't literally based on an existing video game, Buzz is essentially designed as a ride-through shooting gallery, which is all many video games are. And really, isn't Star Tours an awful lot like the now-ancient SW arcade game. Even Indy in many ways resembles oen of the Jurassic Park ride-on arcade games

I think the key is to find a property that is very environmental. and/or make sure that the ride vehicle is unique and thrilling in and of itself. Indy is a blend of both, and while that vehicle shouldn't be the basis of every new ride, the kind of imagineering that went on for that ride is a role model to be remembered.
      I beg to differ. Many videogames are NOT ride through shott-em ups. That represents one part of the Videogame industry, the First Person Shooter Genre. As for arcade style games... Arcades are dead. Any gamer knows that the arcade sen has been dying an agonizing death for nearly a decade, and most videogame companies don't even make cabinets and titles for the arcade! The most popular arcade games nowadays are music games and fighting games... These wouldn't translate well into a racing game at all. Videogames are a home market, not an arcade market.

Comment

I wouldn't mind the Autopia getting a Mario Kart overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by squinky
          I wouldn't mind the Autopia getting a Mario Kart overlay.
          Go-Karts with weapons! That's a good idea... :bow: As long as they go 40 mph on a slick trick, I'm there!

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
            I think a video game based attraction would be absolutely awful. Video Games are interactive, and that's the main reason why people play them. I linear "ride" wouldn't really cut it. Look at how unsuccesful videogame movies are!

Buzz Lightyear is nothing more than a first person shooter!!!
            "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

But it's not based on a game though, and a Buzz Lightyear game would suck! And since there is already an attraction like that, why do we need a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
                Hey, how about Deaf/Mute Days at Disneyland? We'd finally be able to enjoy the rides without the simpering little noisemakers! :devil:

Love it! :bow:

As much as I love all things Nintendo (I really do!) I don't really think Nintendo has any place in DL. However, I guess the same could be said for Pixar

Comment

I agree with those who said Kingdom Hearts would be great

allowing that I do agree that Nintendo's characters would actualy be very well suited for a Disney park actualy, they are very family friendly franchises and Nintendo and Disney have a bit in common (though unlike Disney Nintendo is cautions about expanding because they don't want to lose focas on what they do best, while Disney has expanded and arguably lost focas on everything they do best)

that said, I think Nintendo would not fit at all in Universal Studio's

if Nintendo didn't work with Disney I would want them to look at opening a Disney esque park in the California area to give Disney some REAL competition, Six Flags and Universal seem to let Disney get away with tons of film based attractions ontop of lots of generic rides. If Nintendo were to open their own park I could see them doing teh same level of immersion if not greater then that of Disney's and I actualy think the competition would be great for all of us as consumers (and I would gladly imagineer for such a park if Nintendo would create it and hire me )

I think alot of people are greatly underestimating the impact that video game characters have as well as how they're stories and envionrments could be convied quite nicly (as far as video game movies fail I suggest you take a GOOD look at what they do when they translate it from video game to film. Imagine them taking a book and when they turn it into film they rewrite almost EVERY single fact about the character and they do it horridly wrong and it is basicaly an entirely different and very generic movie plot with the characters names tacked on. What sucks about video game movies is that companies insist that they MUST give us rehashes of old plots and NOT base the movie on the game dispite the fact that I haven't heard of ONE film company that has actualy seriously attempted to stay even somewhat true to the game, this means that even the FANS of the franchise hate it)
                  "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
                    I agree with those who said Kingdom Hearts would be great

allowing that I do agree that Nintendo's characters would actualy be very well suited for a Disney park actualy, they are very family friendly franchises and Nintendo and Disney have a bit in common (though unlike Disney Nintendo is cautions about expanding because they don't want to lose focas on what they do best, while Disney has expanded and arguably lost focas on everything they do best)

that said, I think Nintendo would not fit at all in Universal Studio's

if Nintendo didn't work with Disney I would want them to look at opening a Disney esque park in the California area to give Disney some REAL competition, Six Flags and Universal seem to let Disney get away with tons of film based attractions ontop of lots of generic rides. If Nintendo were to open their own park I could see them doing teh same level of immersion if not greater then that of Disney's and I actualy think the competition would be great for all of us as consumers (and I would gladly imagineer for such a park if Nintendo would create it and hire me )

I think alot of people are greatly underestimating the impact that video game characters have as well as how they're stories and envionrments could be convied quite nicly (as far as video game movies fail I suggest you take a GOOD look at what they do when they translate it from video game to film. Imagine them taking a book and when they turn it into film they rewrite almost EVERY single fact about the character and they do it horridly wrong and it is basicaly an entirely different and very generic movie plot with the characters names tacked on. What sucks about video game movies is that companies insist that they MUST give us rehashes of old plots and NOT base the movie on the game dispite the fact that I haven't heard of ONE film company that has actualy seriously attempted to stay even somewhat true to the game, this means that even the FANS of the franchise hate it)
                    Videogames aren't none for their overly "deep" plots. They're none for gameplay. The story is told over 15 or so hours of gameplay, so to transfer all of that detail and character growth into an hour and a half movie is almost impossible.

Comment

I beg to differ. Many videogames are NOT ride through shott-em ups. That represents one part of the Videogame industry, the First Person Shooter Genre. As for arcade style games... Arcades are dead. Any gamer knows that the arcade sen has been dying an agonizing death for nearly a decade, and most videogame companies don't even make cabinets and titles for the arcade! The most popular arcade games nowadays are music games and fighting games... These wouldn't translate well into a racing game at all. Videogames are a home market, not an arcade market.
                      Right... Many are not. But many are.

As a proud non-gamer, I have to give examples based on what I know, which in this case is the fact that Disneyland already has (at least) three attractions demonstrate means by which a video game could be translated effectively into an attraction.

But to re-rail... I think interactivity is a major goal for Tomorrowland. If a video game attraction leant itself to such a thing, I think it would be a good fit. The "three" chambers in Indy show how the old Horizons notion of choosing your means of travel can evolve into creating 3-D environments than can change dramatically at the touch of a button.

Does this require a video game tie-in? No. But if someone comes up with a great idea and it happens to be a tie-in, that shouldn't stand in the way of it coming to Disneyland. Or, better yet, DCA, where more and better rides are desperately needed, and an entire land could be devoted to Silicon Valley.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
                        If they could trap all the annoying teens in there, I'd vote for them.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL
                        :crazylegs

Comment

nah

Comment

Videogames aren't none for their overly "deep" plots. They're none for gameplay. The story is told over 15 or so hours of gameplay, so to transfer all of that detail and character growth into an hour and a half movie is almost impossible.
                            you mean known not none

anywho there are some games that I've found to have deeper plots then alot of movies I've seen, but then again MOST games have plots more comparible to a multipart episode on a saturday morning cartoon

that said, you could still take the characters settings and basic concepts and make a movie out of them

what I'm referencing in the failure of video game movies is that 90% of them just get everything wrong and they KNOW they're doing it too

Mario Brothers- they're evolved dinosoars and there's two different demensions, basicaly everything has a mario brother NAME to it but it doesn't fit or make since at all it was horrid, insead of jumping on goombas they danced with them? o_O (not to mention goombas were dinosoar headed people not ANYTHING like what they are in the game) the only thing they got semi right was the costuming on Mario and Luigi (interesting interpitiation at least) and the fact that Mario and Luigi are plumbers :P

and there's plenty being said about the next Doom movie which will NOT take place in hell or whatever which is a major plot point in the game (not a doom player but I know people that are and I've been reading up on the movie) and they've basicaly changed everything from evil demons and space creatures to a virus and they're ripping off of a Zombie plot (Doom DOESN'T have Zombies I KNOW that)

and there are PLENTY of OTHER examples (I won't go into the Resident evil movies, they're close but then again from my understanding Capcom made it so that the movie makers COULDN'T directly follow game plots and reallly my understanding is that it isn't that distorted)
                            "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDap
                              Okay my first thread didn't go so well, so here's a second try at it.

Now I'm nowhere to being in the know on theme parks (compared to most people here), so I decided to talk about something I really know alot about...video games.

Here's the question/questions I have to ask for this thread.

1. Would attractions based on video games work in a Disney Park?

2. What video game franchises would disney use to build attractions around?

Like to hear what ideas people can come up with.
                              I know a lot of games that used DL as part of their comic story line, but not untill recently... My favorite is the John Muir segment in Sam and Max Hit the Road... Cracked me up... But it is an old 2D Dos game no body cares about anymore... Which is too bad too, some of them where quite clever, and I liked them a little bit too much, but none of them work on my Windows XP system...

Uhh... I guess your answer would be how the game is designed and how the attraction is framed... I think it would be possable... The answer is yes... But since CGA is the wave of the future, I don't see why not the technology can be employed...

The question is how can an immersive experiance be employed through CGA? Buzz Lightyear is an attempt, but I don't think it is what you have in mind...
                              Check out my other blog:

Comment

Well I wish they would add this video game. Toontown online! I love that game. Has goofy, donald, mickey, pluto and minnie in it. And it is made by disney. Everytime I go to disneyland to see if they have added it there or in toontown it isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound
                                  I know a lot of games that used DL as part of their comic story line, but not untill recently... My favorite is the John Muir segment in Sam and Max Hit the Road... Cracked me up... But it is an old 2D Dos game no body cares about anymore... Which is too bad too, some of them where quite clever, and I liked them a little bit too much, but none of them work on my Windows XP system...

Uhh... I guess your answer would be how the game is designed and how the attraction is framed... I think it would be possable... The answer is yes... But since CGA is the wave of the future, I don't see why not the technology can be employed...

The question is how can an immersive experiance be employed through CGA? Buzz Lightyear is an attempt, but I don't think it is what you have in mind...
                                  Hey, the 80s are back, and so are simple 2-D games. Seen all the Plug and Play sets that have been churned out? There is even a Classic Atari one designed to look like the original console...

Again though, the trick is to design a ride where, if you took the characters out, it would still be interesting. Forbidden Eye without Indy still would pack a whallop. Just adding Pooh, or a video game character, to a Fantasyland-style dark ride isn't enough.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Q. Should video game rides be in disneyland
                                    A. Definately not
                                    Cosmo Kramer: Well I can't go back to the public courses now! I can't! I WON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by SurfedUpDane
                                      Q. Should video game rides be in disneyland
                                      A. Definately not
                                      Hey... TRON and the speed tunnel... You could say it's already been done...
                                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound
                                        Hey... TRON and the speed tunnel... You could say it's already been done...
                                        Dang, the best example, and I missed it... Good point! And think of what else they could do with the concept, especially if they incorporate Tron 2.0.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

in the 80's the penny arcade was always fun with all of their old 1920s style nickel games. i think alot of those od nistalgic games have been taken out. i personally do not care for the star trader even though it is probably a cash cow.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X