X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squinky
    Wild Wild West
    You know... l ke me sound like an even bigger nerd than I already am, but maybe instead of Wild Wild West, they make it Golden West. After all, there's an opera whose title is translated Girl of the Golden West, and the name of the Girl in question is none other than... Minnie!

That said, TDA still has a couple months to draw up plans and make an announcement on 5/5 that, in honor of Disney's Golden Anniversary, DCA will be rethemed as the Golden State. You'd have Golden West, HPB becomes Hollywood's Golden Age, Bountiful Valley Farm becomes Golden Valley... okay, it's a stretch, but for half a minute's effort, it's a start. Still, I guess this COULD have been more timely.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by emz84
      Okay potentially tenuous idea here but how about a development involving Yosemite.
      YES! That is exactly what I was thinking. The beauty of it all...and then half dome...oh man, and once again, berming possibilies.

Originally posted by dshimel
      How about you just get in your car and drive 5 hours and see the REAL THING!!!!

And, sadly, Grizzly Peak is already a weak imitation of the real thing.
      Go see the REAL sequoias.
      I think it was Kevin that wrote something a little while back about the hyper-reality of Disneyland. Disneyland has always been the place that puts ideas of what places are like into peoples heads. Disney takes from what is and makes it their own by adding to it. Now i do agree that some of the things in DCA are lacking because of merely copying with a cheap budget but what lies at the bottom of it all is that what needs to happen is the use of an actual place as merely a rough outline of what should be. That's why going to CA in CA OUGHT to be interesting.

Originally posted by dshimel
      Just make sure you do the education thing right. If you're going to tell the story of the hard working white man that came to strike it rich, you better tell of the Mexican-American war were we stole California from Mexico, and of the Chineese workers that really did most of the work for very little pay, and you better show the clear cutting of forrests and stirp mining of the land and the pollution of the land.
      And while you're doing such things at the resort, while you're on Jungle Cruise, why not tell the story of Britain's Emperical hand crushing India or the native guides who are being paid nearly nothing to give carry the white man's stuff. And in frontierland, we can have a Trail of Tears ride "Experience Their Agony with Stunning AA."
      The point of the whole thing is that is ROMANTICIZED. Of course you're not going to talk about that kid you beat up in high school just so you could get the answers to homework, you're going to talk about you and your friends and the sports you played. So I ask you to lighten up. Please.
      You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Comment

California theme needs to be scratched. Expansion on this poor platform will not fix anything.

If not, then I have suggested elsewhere that a more irreverent view of California is needed. The funny names for shops and food are already a good start. (They make me chuckle on the inside, "COTI.")
        I think more irreverence is needed. Let's start with the way that the rest of the U.S. and the world views California. "Land of Fruits and Nuts" kind of stuff. Out with ultra-serious "Golden Dreams." I actually know people in the midwest who cannot for the life of them believe people would actually live here. DCA could be everything they already see, and Californians are usually good for a laugh at themselves.

Some ideas off the top of my head:
        1. Earthquake-themed dark-and-fast ride (might need some permission from Universal).
        2. Jungle Cruise-style tour of California. Freeways, Lake Tahoe, Summer in San Francisco, river-rafting -- basically everything you SEE in Soarin' would actually be DONE on the ride.
        3. "NoCal vs SoCal Deathmatch" stage show, where LoCal (San Diego) steals the show.

I'm empty now.

Comment

Poor platform? Turns out, everything that the designers brought into Disneyland from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Heartland and South of the US... is all right here in one state! In the contiguous United States, California is the ultimate expression of the Frontier. Hollywood's dream factories are only one of many ways in which California makes Fantasy a reality. The tech sector alone proves that California is on the cutting edge of bringing Tomorrow closer to today. And of course, I don't see anyone making a solid argument that California lacks in Adventure.

'This thread has proven time and again that the California theme provides a host of exciting possibilities. Yeah, when you deliberately turn your back on anything Disney, you're not going to have a very good Disney park. But that's no failure of the theme.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

you didnt hear this from me but... the desert area in condor flats is leaving... atm the whole idea for the Timon Lot is desert themed... thats just what they have in burbank don't know if anything that I saw was finalized.

Comment

Originally posted by innonut99
              you didnt hear this from me but... the desert area in condor flats is leaving... atm the whole idea for the Timon Lot is desert themed... thats just what they have in burbank don't know if anything that I saw was finalized.
              Joshua trees and everything? Or is it more the butte like chapparelles of the sierra nevada?
              Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
                Poor platform?...
                I mentioned other things in my post.

Comment

I'd like to see:
                  Silicon Valley, with high tech rides that they have at Disney Quest. Those 3-D rides were an awful lot of fun - and the design/ride your own coaster was a big hit with the geek-teens in my bunch (with me too!).
                  A dark, slow/fast Dinosaur ride with lots of animatronics, somewhat of a cross between PoC, Indy and Splash Mountain.
                  An old fashioned dark slow ride with the San Fransisco area as it's major attraction - from the founding through the earthquake to modern times.
                  Maybe something of the Surf Culture maybe
                  ~can you never hear surf music again?~
                  and yes
                  Another mountain/rollercoaster. The volcano theme would be a VERY good one - you could incorporate both rollercoaster and water ride elements in it, ala Atlantis in Sea World Orlando.
                  DCA strikes me as a park that just got lost somewhere along the line. There may have been a very good plan for it in the beginning but with all the leadership changes...well...it seems unfinished and raw - at least from the postings I've read on the boards.
                  I'm reserving judgement till our first time to DCA this October!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

Just curious... are you meaning like an Extreme Sports kind of extreme? DCA already had an X Games event, so if Disney didn't burn any bridges, there could be a sponsorship/partnership?

Of course, if you were being literal about the two extremes, I think that's something Condor Flats could communicate better than it does.
                    I mean literal since CA has the highest and lowest points in the continental US. (or so I was told)
                    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

California Adventure is a great theme...

I agree with the majority of the pro- California posts. Lets be honest, translating MGM Studios and Epcot was not an option. MGM Studios would have looked like a rank ameuter against the more well known and less exspensive Universal Studios in Burbank. And Epcot has been a dazzling disappointment for years and until the 90's with introduction of Test Track, Innoventions, and Mission: Space, it was not as profitable as it's brothers WDW and MGMS.

So what other options: Disney Sea or the Animal Kingdom- Disney wouldn't be making very many allies or making tourists happy trying to compete with the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Sea World.

So what are you left with? What park could have been put there? The parking lot was a 1/3 smaller than the exsisting park so somebody give me an option, a way to create a better park, with more appeal than California Adventure? DCA allowed them to intergrate and take the best of MGM and overcome the shortcomings of the Epcot world pavillions, provide more mature content, new hotels, more shopping and pay omage to the state which gave birth to film, cartoons and the theme park industry. Further more the state of Ca, contains more natural parks, bustling cities, and coastline than any other state- 5th or 6th largest economy in the world, seperate from the United States. So somebody please tell me a superior idea for a park or move on. Otherwise I would love to entertain more ideas that could improve California Adventure without abandoning the theme- cause trust me folks, it ain't happenin!
                      Last edited by ah schucks; 03-10-2005, 08:31 AM. Reason: Missed a word darnit

Comment

Part of the problem may have been to DECIDE that an additional park was needed, without having enough space for a real-sized park. That's Eisner, written all over it.
                        Is that in that new book anywhere?

Comment

No, I don't think it is, it mostly focuses on Eisner and the Media (Film and TV) industry... It doesn't really touch on the parks much...
                          Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by sediment
                            Part of the problem may have been to DECIDE that an additional park was needed, without having enough space for a real-sized park. That's Eisner, written all over it.
                            Is that in that new book anywhere?

It wasn't a space problem.

The problem with DCA was that MBA's were in charge of the design, instead of an artist.

When Walt designed Disneyland, he started with the question, "How do we make this the greatest park to visit?" After laying out the design of the greatest place to visit, then he dealt with the real word economics of it all. Things got cut, put off, compromises were made, but the basic foundation was "the greatest place imaginable for guests to visit".

When Esiner and Pressler decided to push forward with a second gate for Anahiem, they started with the question, "How do we make a park that will maximize return on investment?"

Well, we don't want to just steal people from Disneyland, so it should be nothing like Disneyland. What we really want to do is steal guests from Knotts, Six Flags, Universal, and other so-cal attractions.... So, they designed the Universal Mountain Farm... Oh, and it needed to be cheap to build, operate and maintain.

DCA is the park DisCo wanted to own, not the park guests wanted to visit.

So, before we look are expanding the park into new lands, we first need to look at making the existing lands into places people really, really, really want to go.

Comment

How about a cross between UH, Indy, and PotC.
                              The Great Earthquake... AND Fire.

Create a ride car themed to a San Francisco streetcar, but designed more like the ToT elevators. Riders all face the same direction, and like DRR ride sideways, always facing the inside of the show building. The show buiding is, essentially, a square with three interior walls which form an H. Board on the right side of the H, and ride through the pleasant turn-of-the-century City on a Hill. Then, as you turn right, the car begins to rumble, and you see that you are at the top of a hill, just as the earthquake starts. Once you have seen the steep hill, you turn down it, out of control, weaving in and out of fallen debree and cracked pavement. Then, at the bottom of the hill, the rumblings stop.

As you make your next right, you see the flames. Like the burning city in PotC, some of the effects are lights and silk, but other effects are closer to the vehicle. Your final view along this section is a deep-perspective view of the smoldering city.

Finally, you round the corner, and climb back up the hill. And you watch the story of San Francisco rebuilding, to the sounds of Jeannette MacDonald singing her version of the city's song.
                              I would prefer the touring car concept that starts outside the city (View of the whole Bay with Bridge) and enters it as the earthquake starts. It would be more immersive when it comes to weaving in and out of falling debris ... since cable cars can't weave. You'd see cable cars, of course, but you wouldn't be in one.

If you did go the cable car route, why not have seating like Submarine Voyage? You'd have to ride the thing twice in order to really see everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Importance
                                If you did go the cable car route, why not have seating like Submarine Voyage? You'd have to ride the thing twice in order to really see everything.
                                Well, that's the main advantage of the sideways seating where all rows face inward. The depth of scene that you could get would just be amazing. That's one of my favorite parts of Indy, when you come into the main room and you see all the way to the back and it just feels HUGE.

But there are definitely some drawbacks.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I mentioned this as a new ride for the back half of TSI, but it could work in DCA as a gold rush type ride in mine cars. A cross between Rockin Roller Coaster and DLP's Indiana Jones Coaster.
                                  When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by XterraceEmp
                                    I mentioned this as a new ride for the back half of TSI, but it could work in DCA as a gold rush type ride in mine cars. A cross between Rockin Roller Coaster and DLP's Indiana Jones Coaster.
                                    Having seen the DLP ride, and knowing that the even reImagineered it to go backwards for an added thrill... I'd take that over RocknRollercoaster any day of the week.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

As I was at the park last night, I found two things that struck me as odd and well off subject slightly was hoping someone could answer them;
                                      1.) Behind Disney's Playhouse and just the left of the Sunshine Plaza is a large studio, doesn't house any rides or movies that I am aware, does anyone know what that space is?
                                      2.) Behind the whorf and just to left of the end of Paradis Pier is a large wall scalling maybe 30-45 feet high and closes off any view across to conviention center and it appears that there is a building there, anybody know what this one is?

The point of this is I was suprised at how little exspansion room they actually have, it was startling, to think about.

Also to all the comments about Condor Flats- being the son of a pilot you all can forget re-working that area. Its great! They used real towers, real runway lights and the themeing is actually really good. You wanna complain about the building Soarin is contained in? ITS A HANGER- THEY AIN'T PURDY FOLKS. Get over it...should they get rid of the desert theme? Maybe but the desert and our aviation industry here in Cali are very much tied together. Oh its dirty and grimy? Find me a clean airport and I will show you an exception. Airports are dirty and simple and metalic. So leave it alone party peeps.

Comment

My only complaint about Condor Flats is that it should be bigger. What were they thinking? The possibilities for an exciting flight-based/themed ride are tremendous. Soarin' is great, but it isn't the only flight-based/themed ride you could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Importance
                                          My only complaint about Condor Flats is that it should be bigger. What were they thinking? The possibilities for an exciting flight-based/themed ride are tremendous. Soarin' is great, but it isn't the only flight-based/themed ride you could do.
                                          What really gets me is the odd location/layout of DCA too... Condor is tucked away in a corner of the park with the Rapids ride just a little further, and the Hollywood back lot has this wierd loop to it, also tucked away...

Then however that long hall from Sunshine Plaza to Paradise Pier... you pass by Bug's Land (aka "babysittingland" - ToonTown sort of sends this message too when you think about it...)... You pass the Bountifull Farm where there is never any activity... Golden Vine for the most part empty except for restaruant.... Bay Area facades that are for the most part pritty to look at but not much going on... Pacific Wharf (aka Restaurantland)... to a Carnival Amusiment park...
                                          Check out my other blog:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X