• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ModHatter
    Minion
    • Jan 2005

Possible DCA Expansion Themes

This is intended as the most non-confrontational thread in the world. Please, no "parking lot" comments or other remarks amounting to "DCA sucks, bulldoze it."

For people who wish to participate in the thread according to its intent, all I am setting out to do is create a list of all the different lands that can be created using the California Adventure theme. These can even be overlays to existing lands, just to demonstrate the possibilites.

So, to start out with, here are some things I have come up with, or ideas from other posts that sounded good to me.

Eureka Bay: The Gold Rush, and the rise of the Bay Area
    CalTECH: California's role in the cutting edge of innovation, from Silicon Valley to JPL
    Zorro's Monterey
    Mission period
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney
  • Orcatime
    DL Fanatic
    • Jan 2005

Extreme theme - from Death Valley to the Sierra Nevada
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

• Tigertail777
      Magical Memories fanzine
      • Jan 2005

They need to do something more with the redwoods besides just a walking/play area. All of the kitschy cool old roadstops in the redwoods would be pretty nifty to incorporate somehow.

The Winchester mystery house... I know its not a "land" but there has to be something they can do with it.

Comment

• Orcatime
        DL Fanatic
        • Jan 2005

They already have a haunted house ride next door. They COULD put in a volcano ride since we do have some in Nor Cal.
        Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

• cellarhound
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ModHatter
          CalTECH: California's role in the cutting edge of innovation, from Silicon Valley to JPL
          This is the one that is desperately needed, but the attraction should be a bit surprising... The question is can you get a sponcer ship when you have a CEO on the record of saying that the PC industry is contributing to piracy and must be regulatated...

I would like also to see an aquarium like coastal themed attraction but that is not in So Cal area... Maybe Monterey Bay?

It would also be great to see an attraction that is based on the Literary/Art history of California not assoicated with film... Mark Twain, Brett Hart, Jack London, John Steinbeck, Robert Luise Stevenson... Among others all lived in California for a time...
          Check out my other blog:

Comment

• dshimel
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

I think the biggest mistake would be to continue to show people things they can easily see in locations very near-by.

One poster I know very well from here and other boards has this pet idea of an L.A. expansion... Frankly, I can't think of a single worse idea, expect perhaps, "landfilll-land".

Why on earth would someone want to go to a theme park to see something they could easily see in real life? Why on earth would you design a theme park with things people could easily see in real life, other than, "it was the only think that fit the tiny budget"?

Any theme that was here and now, reality, California would be a major mistake, in my opinion, and that includes the silicon valley.

In fact, I think it would be a major mistake to leave the reality that is already there. DCA is themed about as well as a McDonalds, and that ain't very good. They need to redo the mundane reality themes that are already there(PEB filled "backlot", run down ugly airport, run down ugly industrial area food court, generic amusement park land, vinyard), and FOR SURE, not add any more.

Comment

• dshimel
              Banned User
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cellarhound
              It would also be great to see an attraction that is based on the Literary/Art history of California not assoicated with film...
              Now you're just joking... right!?! You have to be!!!

You're just trying to find an idea that is worse than "city-dump-land", right?

Who's going to pay $53 to go to a library/museum? NO ONE!!!!!

It has to be fun!!!! Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun................... and mix in some FUN!

People do NOT go to theme parks to be bored to sleep. If they did, Golden Dreams would be much more popular.

Comment

• Orcatime
                DL Fanatic
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by cellarhound
                This is the one that is desperately needed, but the attraction should be a bit surprising... The question is can you get a sponcer ship when you have a CEO on the record of saying that the PC industry is contributing to piracy and must be regulatated...
                How about computer stations where you can make your own DCA theme park ride?

I would like also to see an aquarium like coastal themed attraction but that is not in So Cal area... Maybe Monterey Bay?
                Haven't they stolen enough of the other state's attraction?

It would also be great to see an attraction that is based on the Literary/Art history of California not assoicated with film... Mark Twain, Brett Hart, Jack London, John Steinbeck, Robert Luise Stevenson... Among others all lived in California for a time...
                Mark Twain is best known for life along the Mississippi, even though he did briefly write a paper and published the Calaberas Frog Jumping Contest.

Stevenson was originally from the East Coast and only came to CA for about 6 months because of a woman he had an affair with, came to CA to look for her husband who had been killed, and then left with her and her kids to live in American Samoa.

London would be good, although he is mostly known for his Yukon stories.

That leaves Steinbeck. Can't go wrong with him.

Comment

• ah schucks
                  �o� Tom �o�
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dshimel
                  I think the biggest mistake would be to continue to show people things they can easily see in locations very near-by.

One poster I know very well from here and other boards has this pet idea of an L.A. expansion... Frankly, I can't think of a single worse idea, expect perhaps, "landfilll-land".

Why on earth would someone want to go to a theme park to see something they could easily see in real life? Why on earth would you design a theme park with things people could easily see in real life, other than, "it was the only think that fit the tiny budget"?

Any theme that was here and now, reality, California would be a major mistake, in my opinion, and that includes the silicon valley.

In fact, I think it would be a major mistake to leave the reality that is already there. DCA is themed about as well as a McDonalds, and that ain't very good. They need to redo the mundane reality themes that are already there(PEB filled "backlot", run down ugly airport, run down ugly industrial area food court, generic amusement park land, vinyard), and FOR SURE, not add any more.
                  Frankly though- California is a large state and whilst you may be up to the task of driving to every single location described by DCA- most visitors are not. Disney has done something remarkable but not well executed. Disney has given familys the opportunity for a low 50 dollar fee, a chance to explore the state of California on a budget.

Expansion of areas like the Paradise Pier, the whorf, the Redwood area, the Backlot are essential and a new land or two would be nice. In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing the area surrounding Mullholland Madness ripped out and rethought and used as expansion space for the Redwood area- possible a great overflow area to incorperate Gold Rush themed area.

Lastly to your argument Mr. Dshimel about the lack of connection between education and theme parks I say open your mind. The joy of imagination need not be limited to moving attractions and animatronic shows with 3d movies to delight children. Disney has an opportunity to briefly touch and enlighten children and adults and the responsibility of such is something Walt was very proud of. Disney is a call to authority and can easily educate the thousands of masses who pass through the those hallowed parks each day and year.

So while the idea of a literary attration does not spark your interest, do not fail to recognize the power of influence that Disney park control and should continue to control responsibly.

Comment

• Cousin Orville
                    Boss Angeles, CA
                    • Jan 2005

Calistoga Falls with geyser country and a real spa.
                    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

• Importance
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Orcatime
                      That leaves Steinbeck. Can't go wrong with him.
                      Pacific Wharf seems ripe for Steinbeck. In fact, when I first saw it, it was "Cannery Row" that came immediately to mind.

I do think a Mission area is desparately needed. And, btw, isn't Disney trying to attract more Hispanics? Might be nice to recognize the important contributions Mexican and Spanish culture have made to California, don't you think?

CalTech would be great but I agree with the commentator above that Disney doesn't have the best relationship with Silicon Valley right now.

Eureka Bay is an excellent idea. Gold Rush/San Francisco/Chinatown really would be a wonderful place to explore.

Comment

• desertdweller
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Orcatime
                        Extreme theme - from Death Valley to the Sierra Nevada
                        Definitely! Considering the square miles of this state that is arid it seems a big mistake not to include a desert. Dust off the old Mine Train and bring back the mules! I suppose GM counts as a nod to the Sierras.

The mission theme would fit in nicely with the farm area and Chinatown would be great next to San Francisco. Wouldn't a replica of that magnificent gateway on Grant Avenue be a wonderful addition?
                        "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

• circleVision
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

Irwindale and it's breathtaking quarry pits.

Comment

• dshimel
                            Banned User
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ah schucks
                            Disney has done something remarkable but not well executed.
                            I 100% disagree. I don't know how they could have done "ugly-run-down airport" any better. Cementdor flats is as good as "ugly-run-down-airport" gets, and that just isn't very good.

Showing people things they can easily see.... STUPID!!!

Lastly to your argument Mr. Dshimel about the lack of connection between education and theme parks I say open your mind.
                            And I respond... look at the evidence. These types of attractions receive luke-warm response at introduction, and within 5-10 years are simply empty.

I'm an atheist. I'd LOVE to see Disney do an attraction based on how silly religions are. HOWEVER, I can see that attraction just wouldn't be a hit, and I don't want Disney wasting very limited capital improvement dollars on something that isn't going to be a hit.

Basing a ride off Literaturs and Art, may be a hit with 2% of the guests... for the first few months or maybe even a year. Beyond that, even those "into" literature and art will have "been there, done that".

Edutainment is NOT repeatable. Fun, fantastic, imaginative, magical IS repeatable. All attractions should be repeatable... therefore, Attractions should not be edutainment-y.

Comment

• dshimel
                              Banned User
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by desertdweller
                              The mission theme would fit in nicely with the farm area and Chinatown would be great next to San Francisco. Wouldn't a replica of that magnificent gateway on Grant Avenue be a wonderful addition?
                              Those would be as awesome as Golden Dreams.. and we all know how long the line for Golden Dreams is. I'm surprised there aren't riots as people bust through the gates rushing to get in....

Comment

• circleVision
                                Banned User
                                • Jan 2005

Riots. There's another themeing concept.

Comment

• jmuboy
                                  JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!
                                  • Feb 2005

Since they haven't tried it yet, I suggest Disney try something with a CALIFORNIA theme. That would be unique and different. ;-)
                                  WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

• ah schucks
                                    �o� Tom �o�
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dshimel
                                    And I respond... look at the evidence. These types of attractions receive luke-warm response at introduction, and within 5-10 years are simply empty.

I'm an atheist. I'd LOVE to see Disney do an attraction based on how silly religions are. HOWEVER, I can see that attraction just wouldn't be a hit, and I don't want Disney wasting very limited capital improvement dollars on something that isn't going to be a hit.

Basing a ride off Literaturs and Art, may be a hit with 2% of the guests... for the first few months or maybe even a year. Beyond that, even those "into" literature and art will have "been there, done that".

Edutainment is NOT repeatable. Fun, fantastic, imaginative, magical IS repeatable. All attractions should be repeatable... therefore, Attractions should not be edutainment-y.
                                    I did not say this attractions would be crowd pleasers, you misinterpreted my response. Educational attractions don't have to be limited to the pavilion set up of Epcot, Florida. Expand your mind, to consider new and exciting possibilities for interactive environments that promote learning like Innoventions, the Animation workshop at DCA, the factory tours on the Whorf.

Just because you wouldn't go more than once you assume that Disney should cater to repeat business of locals and APs only? Some families can only come once every few years at best or at worst once. So spare me your repeatability factor. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not repeatable by your standard, nor is Tiki Room or Aladdin or the 3d Movies. Please.

Lastly, I think you should reserve your the application of your feelings for religion outside posts regarding Disneyland- a land designed to make all feel welcome. That sort of negativity on that level is not constructive to this thread or this site.

Comment

• emz84
                                      • Jan 2005

Okay potentially tenuous idea here but how about a development involving Yosemite. For us that is one of our highlights in our visits to the state so could they possibly create a ride or experience themed more overtly like this? Possible ideas right now involve the old fire show they used to have at Half Dome - maybe a re-creation of this at night. Was thinking something along the ideas of hangliding round the park but then this is covered in Soaring - doh!
                                      Ah well - shall give it some more thought in between uni essays!

Comment

• dshimel
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

I did not say this attractions would be crowd pleasers,
                                        More things that guests don't like...

Oh, okay. I get it... You've convinced me.

Yeah, Disney should spend their very limited capital improvement budget on attractions most guest won't like. Yes, they need more attractions like Innoventions, Golden Dreams, the factory tours, Sorcer's Workshop..... Makes perfect sense to me.

Lastly, I think you should reserve your the application of your feelings for religion outside posts regarding Disneyland- a land designed to make all feel welcome. That sort of negativity on that level is not constructive to this thread or this site.
                                        While I appreciate your opinion, I'm going to ignore it. I would not mind if someone mentioned they are Christian, so see no reason anyone should be offended by my mention of my atheism.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X