This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] 10 Reasons why DL>WDW

A lot of you may have already read this, so sorry if it's redundant. I was happy to read it though because I have a bit of a "Disneyland is better than Walt Disney World" complex. Anything talking about how DL is superior to WDW gives me sick, twisted pleasure. (I'm not proud of this.) :-P
    10 Reasons Disneyland is More Exciting to Tour Than Walt Disney World | TouringPlans.com Blog
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Re: 10 Reasons why DL>WDW

All good points, but they left out the single biggest reason, in my opinion:

Disneyland is the original Disney park, designed in part by Walt Disney himself, and the only one he saw through to opening day. All the other "Magic Kingdom" or "Disneyland" parks in the world are essentially clones of it, with different variations, but at heart they are copies of Disneyland in Anaheim. Knowing the long history and rich folklore associated with Disneyland enhances the experience. It's the original one and it's Walt's park in a personal way. That's the one thing that no other Disney park can claim.

I'm confused by what they mean by "commando style touring" and "commando mode." Do they not wear underwear?

Comment

Oh trust me. I have the exact same sick twisted pleasure.
      It's easy enough to be pleasant
      when life hums along like a song.
      But the man worth while
      is the man who can smile
      when everything goes dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
        All good points, but they left out the single biggest reason, in my opinion:

Disneyland is the original Disney park, designed in part by Walt Disney himself, and the only one he saw through to opening day. All the other "Magic Kingdom" or "Disneyland" parks in the world are essentially clones of it, with different variations, but at heart they are copies of Disneyland in Anaheim. Knowing the long history and rich folklore associated with Disneyland enhances the experience. It's the original one and it's Walt's park in a personal way. That's the one thing that no other Disney park can claim.

I'm confused by what they mean by "commando style touring" and "commando mode." Do they not wear underwear?
        Yes! I absolutely agree. Disneyland has the "spirit" of Walt that enhances the experience.

And I agree about the commando thing as well lol! Puts a pretty hilarious image in my mind.

Comment

Thanks for posting this!
          I found it great and interesting, although my mind will never change, for me the Disneyland Resort will always be better (in my preferences) no matter what way you slice it though, they are all opinions, and there is no way we could scientifically prove that one is better... (I don't care though, Disneyland is still better )
          All right, listen! I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. Here comes the smolder.

DLR Annual Passholder, Disney nerd
          Trip Reports:
          From California to Walt Disney World: The Road to Orlando (Coming soon)

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
            Oh trust me. I have the exact same sick twisted pleasure.
            That's what I like to hear!

Comment

I will first say that I absolutely love, adore, cherish both resorts. There are no words strong enough to describe how wonderful they are. I'll go out on a limb here and speak on behalf of Walt Disney World and say that with the larger, more spread out resort, the real world doesn't encroach on the escapism, fantasy of Disney. I find that I can spend more time there and escape from Realityland. I don't see the cities, etc. of the surrounding areas which generally creep into Disneyland.
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I think one of the main reasons why DLR has continued to receive so much attention over the last 10 years while WDW has kind of stagnated and maintain the profitable status quo is the fact that DL is essentially, "the home office". Iger is here. Staggs is here. Lasseter is here (well, close). Baxter and Nicolai are here. The WDW Company is about 40 miles up the road. Is there a reason why the D23 Expo is in Anaheim and not Orlando? You bet. Easy access to everything the Walt Disney Company has to offer.
                Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

On many levels one can easily say Disneyland is better than WDW but there is one thing I would like to say the Magic Kingdom has over Disneyland and that is the joyous anticipation of those waiting in the lines at WDW compared to the thinly vailed boredom one feels at Disneyland.

Seriously, at the MK just about everyone there can barely contain themselves....it's like Christmas morning everyday.

At Disneyland, well, sure everyone is happy, I guess, but it is more like the happiness of seeing a really good movie or a new store at the mall opening up.......not the Christmas morning level of jubilation that one will see at WDW.
                  Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                    On many levels one can easily say Disneyland is better than WDW but there is one thing I would like to say the Magic Kingdom has over Disneyland and that is the joyous anticipation of those waiting in the lines at WDW compared to the thinly vailed boredom one feels at Disneyland.

Seriously, at the MK just about everyone there can barely contain themselves....it's like Christmas morning everyday.

At Disneyland, well, sure everyone is happy, I guess, but it is more like the happiness of seeing a really good movie or a new store at the mall opening up.......not the Christmas morning level of jubilation that one will see at WDW.
                    Umm, I don't feel that way when I go to Disneyland. I feel what you feel about WDW when we finally get to go to Disneyland in the summer. So I'm not in the group of people you're describing.

Comment

as a resort wdw wins hands down.. but disneyland itself cant be beat the charm the beauty, it has walts special touch that no other disney park has. that is what makes it timeless.. wdw feels like something you should do at least ones a year or ones a lifetime. but disneyland never gets old.

Comment

Beautiful post. :-)
                        Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                        -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
                        -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
                        -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
                        -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
                        -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
                        -Walt Disney

Comment

1st thing that came to my mind was also how DL is Walt's Park, and everything associated with Walt, his apartment, and that it was the only Disney Park he got to enjoy. It's the park that he had a chance to grow and develop.

Matterhorn - world's 1st steel tubular coaster.

Walt's large fleet of submarines.

His Haunted Mansion

His Pirates attraction

His Jungle Cruise

His Peter Pan attraction

His Tiki Room

His apartment over the firehouse

It's the birthplace of the Mickey Mouse Club
                          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Interesting blog but doesn't it all just boil down to "DL is smaller than WDW"?

And the FP point - WOC doesn't interfere with other FPs anyway does it? However, is this point valid for the other DCA attractions?
                            WDW - 1987 & 1991
                            DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                            DLR - October 2011

Comment

I'm not saying this is the case with all/any of you, but about 90% of the people I've encountered that say DL is better than WDW fit into one of these two categories:

1) They've never been to WDW.

2) They "grew up" on DL, and therefore have a tied-in nostalgia with it from their childhood. It's ingrained in them as the best. It wouldn't matter what WDW is like, because DL belongs to them... something you grow up loving from a young age will never be replaced and will always feel better than everything.

My point being is that rarely can you find a person who can provide an unbiased, fact-based comparison to legitimately compare the resorts. This is evidenced by the reasons people always give as to why DL is better. It's generally lots of emotional reasons with regard to the nostalgia/historic factor. Which is fine - it can be a reason why someone likes DL, but I don't think it's a legitimate reason to knock WDW just because Walt never stepped foot in it. There are plenty of attractions at DLR that Walt didn't design or ride, but somehow are still enjoyable.

I love DL. But WDW does not suffer from half of the "invented" trash it gets thrown at it.

Just for fun, I'm going to pick apart a few of the 10 reasons from that link:

1. Being at a smaller resort is more relaxing. It just is.
                              It's all about how you choose to use your experience. WDW can absolutely be relaxing, and in my experience, it's more relaxing than the always shoulder-to-shoulder experience at DL. WDW gives you a myriad of other options for your resort experience, and there are TONS of things you can do that are relaxing. Suggesting that a resort is more relaxing because it's smaller is like saying that walking to your neighbor's house is more relaxing that a long stroll through a beautiful state park. Sure - it's a shorter walk, but it's what you make of it. That longer stroll can be just as "relaxing." It may be more physically taxing, but that's a different point. (To clarify, I'm not equating DL to your neighbor's house or WDW to a beautiful state park, just illustrating how "smaller = more relaxing" is kind of a strange "benefit.")

2. There are no transportation issues.
                              Well.. if you stay on property at DLR, then I guess that's true. But for the price of staying on-property at DLR, you could stay at a monorail hotel at WDW and get fast monorail access to two of the 4 parks.

3. Commando style touring is not nearly as tempting.
                              This may be a true statement, but I'm not even remotely understanding how this should be a "pro" in DLR's column.

5. It is much easier to take breaks.
                              Again, this is true if you're on DLR property. But I will point out that EVERY day I'm at WDW, I take a midday break from the parks by taking a bus back to our hotel room. Yes, it takes 1/2 hour per trip (1 hour per round trip) but the bus rides themselves are relaxing! It's an air-conditioned ride, and it's relaxing and you can talk to your family about what you want to do later, look at maps, etc. It's not like you're walking. If you're at the park early in the morning, you can leave around 1 pm, back in your room, take a nap, eat lunch, etc and then you'll be back at the park easily by 4 pm. I've never had trouble with this. The bus stops at both the park and your resort are EMPTY between those hours, and the buses are usually half filled. It's a stress-free pleasure taking a midday break at WDW.

6. You can hold a FASTPASS in two parks.
                              You can do this at WDW as well. But even if you couldn't, it's not really a huge benefit at DLR. Walking back and forth between DCA and DL can get a bit tiring, and the whole "commando" thing was what this article complained about just a few reasons ago. Bouncing back and forth between DL and DCA is the definition of that sort of "attack the parks to get the most out of them" mentality that this person seems to despise to begin with.

Three-day trips really work. It really is possible to see everything in three days. Well not everything, but enough to make you feel like you covered it.
                              That's a matter of personal preference. Three day trips work because DLR is smaller and has 1/2 the number of theme parks. You could very, very easily take a 3 day trip to WDW and get just as much out of it as you get out of a DLR 3 day trip. You can tackle the highlights of both MK and Epcot in one day, DHS and AK on day 2, and take your pick on day 3. It's extremely possible. It's insane all the stuff you'll miss, but that doesn't mean it doesn't "work" or that you'll get more entertainment value out of 3 days at DLR. My point is that WDW having "more" to do shouldn't count against it. That just reeks of trying to find a reason why DLR is better when there's no more reasons you can think of. It's like saying a movie theater with only one theater is better than a multiplex because you won't have to make a decision about what to see, or that a restaurant with only a few menu items is better than one with many, because then you won't be tempted to come back tomorrow and try some other options. I just don't understand how you can say that a place with less options is better because of the sole fact it has less options.

8. Less time means less money.
                              Once again, that's a choice... it's not a "reason" why DLR is better. All else being equal, a 4 day trip to DL is not less expensive than a 4 day trip to WDW, assuming your transportation costs to the resort is the same. And like I said, you can get as much out of a 3 day trip to WDW as you get out of a trip to DLR, if not MORE because you have more options to choose from in terms of parks and attractions.

9. You can enjoy your hotel.At Disneyland, however, it’s so easy to go back to your hotel and enjoy it.
                              Again, for the price of a DLR hotel, you can stay at one of the monorail hotels at WDW, making it a super fast and relaxing trip to go back to your room from either MK or Epcot. If, however, you choose a budget hotel, you can pay about 1/3rd the price of a DLR hotel. With that kind of savings, you can spend 1 or 2 days JUST at your hotel to enjoy the pool, hang out, etc, and then spend an evening at Downtown Disney, for example.

All of these reasons revolve around DLR being smaller. Yes, I will grant that any resort that is smaller will provide you with less options, therefore making you less likely to "need" more time, and therefore make your vacation less hectic. But the title of the 10 reason article was "10 Reasons Disneyland is More Exciting than Walt Disney World" and to be honest with you, not 1 of those 10 is a reason that sounds more exciting. They all sound like reasons why DLR is better having less to offer. Nothing about how it's more exiting. I probably wouldn't have minded so much if the article had simply been titled "10 reasons why DLR is easier to experience than WDW."
                              Last edited by simba; 09-07-2011, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X