This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tram loading dilema!

I have a tram loading dilemma! Maybe someone here knows the answer (I hope so). Sorry this is so long but I feel I need to explain my dilema without just sounding like a rant (it's not, I just have a problem I need to solve).

Yesterday when it was time for me to leave I went to the accessible loading area to load my scooter and go (really love those loading ramps, really makes it so easy to load and unload my scooter).

I got there, and went up the ramp to load as I there was a tram stopped there and no chairs or scooters unloading… But, but the tram was too far from the ramp for me to load on the tram, so I could not load (oh, well).

So, in order to make sure that if there were any folks were coming on the next tram that needed to unload, and while there was time I backed down the ramp to allow for others to have space to get off. Just then, someone pushing as manual chair (without even asking if I was waiting) just pushed up the ramp (oh well, they must need to get home quickly). The tram came, there was a scooter on the tram, but since it was a manual chair they could just pick it up and move it out of the way, with my scooter, no such luck, it is too big for that. The chair loaded and another family came up and asked if I was waiting (they were prepared to wait their turn). I said, yes, but there’s not room for my scooter as there is a chair loading, but there may be room for another chair. Well, they went up the ramp and there was room and they loaded and left (nice folks, even waved thanks as they left).

Well, anyway, I waited at the bottom of the ramp, and soon a tram was approaching, when in a flash, a guy on a power chair came zooming up the ramp (he looked like he might not be well, all together) but then his family cam up behind and didn’t even say squat to me. (Oh, well, que sara, sara).

I waited and two more trams came, stopped and left, I thought that they might have been too far from the loading ramp. By this time 5 trams had come and gone and I was still there. So I decided, maybe I should pull up the ramp part way. I did and the next tram to stop asked if I was ready. Finally I loaded and left. It seems that the tram drivers may be looking for folks ON THE RAMP, not at the bottom.

Here’s the catch-22! If I am on the ramp and the tram is full of chairs, scooters or what-not, I will need to back all the way down to let allow them room to maneuver, and I believe that my being in the way doesn’t seem too polite to those getting off, but IF I am not at the top of the ramp, the tram drivers don’t park close enough to let me on, and so I wait.

Question: How do I let the drivers I am waiting, and be polite and not in the way of others.

I’m finally getting used to the idea of using a scooter to get around Disneyland, as it allows me to go to Disneyland again and enjoy a Sunday in-the-park(s) and visit with other MiceChatters... but the tram loading to go home is a bit of a confusion to me.

Should I ??? (Does anybody know a Tram Driver??

Wait at the bottom and be polite to others who may be on the tram, or wait at the top and if I have to move, well, someone has to wait?

Or is there another way I can let tram drivers know I’m ready to go and still be polite to others?

I would really appreciate any help here. TIA

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 12-12-2005, 09:27 AM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Re: Tram loading dilema!

Just have to wait at the top and move if someone comes. That's the best way to do it and IMO it's *not* rude of the others who "cut" in front of you, you wern't on the ramp so they had every-right to go straight on up and on since you wern't.
    -Wes

Comment

I think the tram drivers should pull close enough irregardless of whether or not they see somebody waiting. I see it like not waiting directly in front of the doors for an elevator.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
        I think the tram drivers should pull close enough irregardless of whether or not they see somebody waiting. I see it like not waiting directly in front of the doors for an elevator.
        You know, that's a very good analogy, tram boarding is kind of like an elevator, everybody should be just be considerate of others.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, maybe I need to just find a supervisor at the tram area and find out what all the drivers are told so I can do what is proper.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

CU@DL

Andy
        -

Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley815
          Just have to wait at the top and move if someone comes. That's the best way to do it and IMO it's *not* rude of the others who "cut" in front of you, you wern't on the ramp so they had every-right to go straight on up and on since you wern't.

I don't think that this is the way it is always done. I have several times observed folks waiting in line for a tram, with no one on the ramp. So maybe others have every-right to just barrel up the ramp, but not everyone feels that way, as is proved by the family that took a couple of seocnds to ask if I was in line.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
          -

Boom!

Comment

they should also align witht he lines better. The last time we were there they didn't pull up to the lines correctly and people made a run for whatever they could get. Some people cut between me and the kids levaing one child standing on the tram. thsi guy was sitting with his legs spread wide open. I asked "excuse..could you scoot down a bit my child needs to sit down." he did not move, but he did start cursing. I ignored him and looked behind us to see if there was room...it appeared to be a full tram. At this point my friend and this lovely person is arguing and I'm ready to egt off the tram, because I can't leave one child behinf....thats when someone offered him their seat. It was sooo nice of them and I thanked them profusely. All the way to the parking garage this guy was mumbling under his breath. I'm not sure, but I thik he may have been the one who cut the kids off. They were right behind us and when I turned around this guy and his girlfriend was there???...the trams are bad. I walk most of the time...it's more relaxing...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe
              ...the trams are bad. I walk most of the time...it's more relaxing...LOL
              I agree! Way to many rude idiot families pushing their wait to be first or throwing their kids on then acting helpless. I hate it and also will walk 99.9% of the time unless I'm with lazy friends who walk slow, lol
              -Wes

Comment

Please find some way of getting this info to city hall. You have made an excellent point, and I'm thinking it wouldn't take people long to install some kind of light or other signal to let the tram drivers know someone is waiting at the bottom of the ramp. The congestion at the top of the ramp will only slow everyone down, and I know you don't want to be rude. There should be an area at the bottom where the line would form, and they should obviously unload first. Good luck with this!

Comment

thats why I like to ride the van when I have grandma. that way she isn't in the cold/windy ride also you don't have to smell the propane which bothers me.
                  aka Sara

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

One of my children
                  isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating :sleep:

Comment

Well, my first instinct would be to say that you should just wait ON the ramp, since there isn't a wheelchair on EVERY tram, so there's a good chance you won't have to back down.

But if that bothers you, then wait at the bottom of the ramp in a way that blocks entrance to it. That way, no one can barrel in front of you, but if you need to move out of someone's way, it's merely a matter of backing up a foot or two.

If I were you, I'd still wait at the top. CMs are probably looking for you there, as it's what MOST guests do. Courtesy and logic are NOT the norm for guests.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                      Please find some way of getting this info to city hall. You have made an excellent point, and I'm thinking it wouldn't take people long to install some kind of light or other signal to let the tram drivers know someone is waiting at the bottom of the ramp. The congestion at the top of the ramp will only slow everyone down, and I know you don't want to be rude. There should be an area at the bottom where the line would form, and they should obviously unload first. Good luck with this!
                      I like this idea a lot! It seems to me that this would be a wonderful service, and a few lights would be cheaper than more vans or a CM to manage the loading all the time.

I really like the tram, because it is open air, and I can see more and enjoy the ambience (yep, for me, even ambience on the tram route). Besides, with the tram there is no backing up.

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                      Well, my first instinct would be to say that you should just wait ON the ramp, since there isn't a wheelchair on EVERY tram, so there's a good chance you won't have to back down.

But if that bothers you, then wait at the bottom of the ramp in a way that blocks entrance to it. That way, no one can barrel in front of you, but if you need to move out of someone's way, it's merely a matter of backing up a foot or two.
                      It was more the trams that didn't park close enough to load that was more of a concern than the folks who didn't see me. I try to be observant, but sometimes we miss things, and I don't like that OF MYSELF when I do something I consider inappropriate. I try to practice what I preach so to speak. Others, well, that's up to them, but I do appreciate courtesy.

Originally posted by Morrigoon
                      If I were you, I'd still wait at the top. CMs are probably looking for you there, as it's what MOST guests do. Courtesy and logic are NOT the norm for guests.
                      Unfortunaltely, that seems to be the norm. Too bad courtsey is not as prevelant as it used to be. But, I am still going to try! (but I'm only human)

JUST MHO, YMMV

BTW: localdisnyfan and Morrigoon, thanks for your comments, Also I do appreciate all the other comments and help as well. MiceChat is such a valuable resource!

Thanks again,

CU@DL

Andy
                      -

Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                        I've been thinking about this off-and-on all day. I definately think I should get this info to someone, I really believe it could help me and many people in my situation.

How is the best way to get this info to someoone who can do somehting about it, not someonwe who will just give me a "thanks for your input," (now go away) "sorry you had a bad time," here's a free meal. I don't want a "sorry you had a bad time" I don't want a free meal (Disney's solution to guest problems). I just believe that this is important for lots of folks and I would like to do it right.

Any ideas on how to "Do this right?"

I really appreciate any input from anyone, particularly anyone who has actually tried to make a difference with something at Disneyland.

I hope this doesn't sound like rant, it is not a rant, but I believe it is important. I have just never done anything like this, and I want to do it right and with respect to those whom I think I should present this idea.

Thanks for your input,

CU@DL

Andy
                        -

Boom!

Comment

Dude, drive yourself to the parking lot!!!

More seriously though: I can't help you there.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment
                            Dude, drive yourself to the parking lot!!!

More seriously though: I can't help you there.
                            I did that a couple of times and it does take less time than the tram. But have you seen how those folks drive down Disneyland Drive? All I can say is WOW! They don't think right turn on red if clear, and no pedestrians, they think "Why stop on red? The pedstrians will see us!" and "speed limit, we don't need no speed limit!"

I almost got creamed once and I decided that the tram was much safer.

I know you meant well, but, well, it is just really not very safe crossing Disneyland Drive or any other street to get to the Parking lot.

I hope others using mobility devices will also see this and think twice before scooting or wheeling from Disneyland or DCA and the Mickey and Friends Parking lot. It is just not safe! Don't do it! I would rather wait, and wait and wait some more than try to cross that street again.

Really I'm glad you brought this up, maybe by posting this we can save a life!

CU@DL

Andy
                            -

Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by CUatDL
                              I've been thinking about this off-and-on all day. I definately think I should get this info to someone, I really believe it could help me and many people in my situation.

How is the best way to get this info to someoone who can do somehting about it, not someonwe who will just give me a "thanks for your input," (now go away) "sorry you had a bad time," here's a free meal. I don't want a "sorry you had a bad time" I don't want a free meal (Disney's solution to guest problems). I just believe that this is important for lots of folks and I would like to do it right.

Any ideas on how to "Do this right?"

I really appreciate any input from anyone, particularly anyone who has actually tried to make a difference with something at Disneyland.

I hope this doesn't sound like rant, it is not a rant, but I believe it is important. I have just never done anything like this, and I want to do it right and with respect to those whom I think I should present this idea.

Thanks for your input,

CU@DL
                              CU - Are you SURE you don't want a free meal? The only way that I'm familiar with is to mention it at City Hall, and I think they have a form that you fill out. I would really like to find out how to contact Disney Management OTHER than City Hall for myself as well. I've looked on the Disneyland website, and if it's there, it's really hard to find. That might be a good question for the Disneyland Forum...how do we make our comments and suggestions without making the trip to City Hall?

Do you want to do the honors?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X