This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] The Disney Renaissance and it's impact on park attendance

A few minutes ago, I was reading Al Lutz's article (found here) to my girlfriend. In reading, this line stuck out to me:

Although the demographic turned noticeably younger after Midnight...
    Now, generally speaking, younger people are going to be more keen to staying up late for an event like this, which will skew the demographics somewhat. But granted that, it got me thinking about the enthusiasm for the Disney brand that a lot of people in my generation (I'm 23) are displaying these days.

Many of my friends are Annual Passholders or plan to become one. On Twitter and Facebook, 20-somethings and late teens are posting about their love of the movies, parks, characters, etc. frequently.

I believe the Disney Renaissance starting with The Little Mermaid and continuing with the other Disney hits of the 90's, paired with my generation's strong desire for nostalgia (see: Nickelodeon starting a block of old shows, classic video game rereleases), has helped push attendance levels at the park to new heights.

In Lutz's articles over the past few months, he's mentioned new attendance highs frequently being set. And though a second gate and expansions around the park are likely the primary factor for these increases, I'd argue that the impact of the long line of Disney film hits while my generation was growing up has influenced us to spend the money we've begun making as we enter the workforce to recapture and relive some of our childhood memories at the DLR.

In short, I think Disney's major film successes throughout the 90's have contributed to a similar Renaissance in resort attendance and enthusiasm, because today's younger generation now has the disposable income to spend on recapturing some of the Disney magic from their youth.

Curious to see what you all think.
    Disneyland Resort Photography by Quiksotik
    Disneyland parking attendant: "Have a magical day, yo!"

Re: The Disney Renaissance and it's impact on park attendance

As on older AP (52), I agree, but from the opposite end. It was because my daughter was young when it was the prime time of the Disney movies -Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty, Pocahontas, etc. that my wife and I love the parks so much. Our daughter, now 19 and in college just up the 5 freeway from Disneyland, went to the park from the time she was able to be put in a stroller. And she still loves to go to this day. She and her college friends were there at 10 PM Wednesday night, and had to wait an hour or more to get in, and still had a blast. And they stayed until the park closed, went back to school for some sleep, and off to class like usual. Now my wife and I were going to go, but she has been having some foot problems, which were the only things that kept us from going. But we are going tonight as usual for a Friday night, and we enjoy the park just as much as we always have. Yes, it would be even more fun if our daughter would always meet up with us, but hey, she is a typical college student with better things to do than run into her parents at Disneyland!

Comment

You make some good points there Quick, but I think the AP program and the move towards quantity over quality has more to do with the high attendance numbers than any other factors.
      Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
        You make some good points there Quick, but I think the AP program and the move towards quantity over quality has more to do with the high attendance numbers than any other factors.
        Exactly right. To me, the question is if Disney will be able to pull itself out of its two-decade Dark Age of declining innovation and creativity while gorging on a Renaissance of gate attendance -- a financial feast driven primarily by its aggressive marketing of deeply discounted admissions and other front gate come-ons. When nearly a million people are within driving distance of a Disneyland that can be visited for a per-day cost of less than a movie ticket, one can expect hundreds of thousands of customers who've habituated to using the DLR like going to the local beach or city park.
        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

sleepyjeff: I wasn't trying to claim that my reason was the *primary* factor for an increase in attendance. Just one of the many but one that I don't think gets considered often. Thanks for your thoughts all the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            When nearly a million people are within driving distance of a Disneyland that can be visited for a per-day cost of less than a movie ticket, one can expect hundreds of thousands of customers who've habituated to using the DLR like going to the local beach or city park.
            One million? The population of Orange County alone is over three million. If you include the rest of LA, northern San Diego and everything else within an hour of Disneyland, you're talking ten million.

Comment

Originally posted by h2opolodad View Post
              As on older AP (52), I agree, but from the opposite end. It was because my daughter was young when it was the prime time of the Disney movies -Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty, Pocahontas, etc. that my wife and I love the parks so much. Our daughter, now 19 and in college just up the 5 freeway from Disneyland, went to the park from the time she was able to be put in a stroller. And she still loves to go to this day. She and her college friends were there at 10 PM Wednesday night, and had to wait an hour or more to get in, and still had a blast. And they stayed until the park closed, went back to school for some sleep, and off to class like usual. Now my wife and I were going to go, but she has been having some foot problems, which were the only things that kept us from going. But we are going tonight as usual for a Friday night, and we enjoy the park just as much as we always have. Yes, it would be even more fun if our daughter would always meet up with us, but hey, she is a typical college student with better things to do than run into her parents at Disneyland!
              Parents bring their children, then the children have children of their own and they bring their children, then...
              I feel this is also a major reason for the continued success of Disneyland: the loyality of so many families who want to experience Disneyland with one another. The movies did influence the renaissance, but without a solid foundation of a family centered reason for visiting Disneyland together, the renaissance would have fizzled. The day we brought our 4 month old daughter to Disneyland for the first time was a life experience. And she loves our visits to Disneyland to this day. I would expect she will have children of her own and take her children to Disneyland. There will be more movies made by Disney in which she could show her children.
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I go to college in Indiana, where frequent trips to Disney theme parks aren't usually very common - and year after year I'm surprised at the amount of students (usually female) who organize trips down to WDW with friends over spring break, or who have Disney movie nights (usually from the early 90s) with friends over the weekends. It's surprisingly common. So yeah, I think the OP might be onto something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                  When nearly a million people are within driving distance of a Disneyland that can be visited for a per-day cost of less than a movie ticket, one can expect hundreds of thousands of customers who've habituated to using the DLR like going to the local beach or city park.
                  One million? The population of Orange County alone is over three million. If you include the rest of LA, northern San Diego and everything else within an hour of Disneyland, you're talking ten million.
                  My bad for the unclear wording; the nearly million people I was referring to are AP holders -- whose numbers will certainly swell as Disney continues aggressively marketing APs to those other nine million you mentioned!
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

My bad for the unclear wording; the nearly million people I was referring to are AP holders -- whose numbers will certainly swell as Disney continues aggressively marketing APs to those other nine million you mentioned!
                    I wouldn't say their marketing is all that aggressive as far as APs go.. They market the park itself aggressively but the only place they really push APs (in particular the monthly payments) is on the side of the ticket booths. If anything, they advertise the 2fer tickets the most.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X