Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

What happened to the early 2000s Disneyland Resort logo?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What happened to the early 2000s Disneyland Resort logo?

After the expansion in 2001, Disney wanted to distinguish Disneyland Park from Disneyland Resort. So this logo is for Resort:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	disneyland_resort_0_78393.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	7367443
    and this for the Park:

Name:	Disneyland_Park_Logo_Color.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	7367444

Nowadays, Disney just uses this for the Resort:

Name:	Disney_Logo.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7367445

Why did they abandon the logo with the "Walt" font (which is used in all the other Disney Parks) in favor for the "Park" font?
    (Note: I believe the Esplanade and DTD still uses the "Walt" font version... which just adds to the confusion. What is the Resort's actual logo?

Re: What happened to the early 2000s Disneyland Resort logo?

I've observed, vaguely, that nowadays Disney's marketing generally tends to gravitate back toward focusing on Disneyland (Park), probably because it is still by far the most marketable aspect of the entire resort, and the logo is one part of that. Even new attractions in DCA have been advertised for years as being at the Disneyland Resort using the park's traditional font, with no mention of DCA and barely any indication of the existence of the resort.

They had tried at first to emphasize that DLR is more than just Disneyland, but...that quickly ran into a few snags with regard to public perception. That's my guess, anyway, and I'm pretty sure that the park's font is being used for its recognizability, in addition to its connection with Disneyland. Basically, if the resort, outside of Disneyland, had enough to offer in terms of marketing, then it would be advantageous for Disney to differentiate it from Disneyland Park (different font, more emphasis on "Resort"). And if not, then they'd want to have less differentiation, as in "Look, there is more great stuff at the [place] you already know and love!"
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Because it was a bland piece of corporate design that totally ignored the history of the place for the sake of conformity.

Comment

Because the Walt writing with the sans serif LAND is hideous. The original (and current) was the original design of the park. I miss the sign on Harbor *sniff*. WDW uses the Walt hand writing with World in a different font. I think it's ugly.

Comment

They probably wanted to return to a classic/traditional feel to the logo. It seems to me like Disney was trying to be hip and modern when they opened DCA; the abandoned logo definitely has that feel. Personally I prefer the modern logo with the "Walt" font, it looks better from a graphic design viewpoint.

Comment

I am so happy they still use the old park font. That's something nostalgic and sacred to the start of the park.

Facebook me!
            Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Working...
            X