- Easy arrival via bus. At least arriving by 4:30pm, put our group into the park quickly and with ease.
- Walk-on rides! It was less crowded than I have seen it in the off-season.
- CMs seemed less harried. Everyone seemed really friendly and happy to be working that night. Some years it seems like the CMs would rather be anywhere but DL, and that no amount of hazard pay would suffice.
- Shops, like the bazaar in Adventureland, were strategically blocked to prohibit hooliganism. It was probably a stop loss measure, but I noticed it and it made a difference.
- Free popcorn! Used my voucher the next weekend when I went back with the husband.
- No security check points. Kids could get away with carrying contraband as a result. I didn’t allow any bottles in, which meant no alcohol from my kids, but I saw other kids with drink bottles not sold in the park. Did they contain alcohol? Maybe not, but Disney didn’t control it this year. Who knows what was brought in.
- The mixing of the kids with the regular population. Too hard to control. As another chaperone from a different school noted, they caught some of their banned kids there because they were able to come in during regular hours. There was no fool-proof way of keeping them out this year. In fact, if someone was sneaky enough, they could be there for the Grad Nite portion.
- Kids were disappointed that they weren’t there until sunrise (a sight I missed too). They felt it was too short, although, we probably got just about the same amount of time as we would have if we had arrived at 11pm.
- Some said it wasn’t as special because it wasn’t just for them.
- Not everything was opened, or attractions closed too early to be enjoyed.
- There were only two dance areas and they both played the same kind of music, and according to the kids, they played some of the same songs more than twice. The kids said they would have liked to have the different dance areas which were less crowded in previous years (last year’s junior rep was adamant about this point in our debrief), and more variety in music styles.
- Tram ride at the close. There were too few tram CMs to deal with the crush. Make ‘em walk, I say!
THE I’M STILL NOT SURE ABOUT:
- For practical reasons, I still think there needs to be a check-in. How do you know that the chaperones are really there Disney? We never checked in, you have no idea if we were even there. This bothers me from a supervision standpoint.
Alright. That’s it for now! I gotta get back to work here! Will we go next year? We’ll have to think about it some more before we put in our request for next year’s date.