• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CSei2011
    Disney Obsessed
    • May 2011

Re: Tom Staggs on bringing Marvel to the parks

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    1940's Captain America ride in the new HollywoodLand at DCA would be very cool actually
    Reading this thread made me think this too!! Wouldn't captain America fit so well in new DCA's time period? Even if it's the wrong coast? I'm a princess girl myself and only know marvel from the movies... But I want to say to you pro marvel Mice Chatters that over the time and different threads I have become excited for marvel instead of anti

Comment

• imaginashton
      MiceChatter
      • Jun 2011

-
      Last edited by imaginashton; 06-17-2012, 04:38 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

• Burgower1994
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2008

here is a article from blue sky disney about marvel comming to disneyland it sounds like there will be some sort of marvel in tomorrowland in the near future!

Blue Sky Disney: Comic Appeal...
        Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
        GO TEXANS, ROCKETS, ASTROS AND COOGS!!!

Comment

• calsig31
          -
          • Aug 2009

It would be really cool if they did a Star Wars Weekend kind of thing here, but with Marvel. Marvel would also make a great replacement for the Alice street party.
          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• Helios77
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
            Indiana Jones AND Star Wars were both adaptable into the preexisting lands of Disneyland, that's why it worked out so well for them. I can't see Marvel getting the same results unless you really mess the theme of certain lands entirely or shoehorn them in without a care. With the rethemes in DCA, it's going to be a lot harder for Marvel to fit into those set-in-stone themed lands.

which is why changing Innoventions into a Stark Expo attraction would be the best way to introduce "some" Marvel characters into the park as the whole idea of the Expo is to show off new technology...which fits into the theme of Tomorrowland. I do believe that if they really want to go all out with Marvel attractions, they will have to build another park, but for now getting rid of Innoventions (which is a waste of space anyway) and either making it Stark Expo or some kind of S.H.I.E.L.D attraction would be best in the meantime.
            sigpic"Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

Comment

• Sheriff Lightyear
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2011

Stark Expo = Innoventions renamed. Don't want that.

Comment

• calsig31
                -
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
                Stark Expo = Innoventions renamed. Don't want that.
                It depends how they do it. If they make proper use of the carousel theater again then you could rotate through six different pavilions with animatronics doing tech demonstrations. When you exit onto the second floor, there could be a giant scale model of the entire expo.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• imaginashton
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                  Indiana Jones AND Star Wars were both adaptable into the preexisting lands of Disneyland, that's why it worked out so well for them. I can't see Marvel getting the same results unless you really mess the theme of certain lands entirely or shoehorn them in without a care. With the rethemes in DCA, it's going to be a lot harder for Marvel to fit into those set-in-stone themed lands.
                  Have you taken the time to look at all the characters marvel has to offer? The Marvel universe is literally filled with thousands of interesting characters that come from all parts of the world that can be featured in a disney park. Trust me, with the right amount of time,work, and creativity, a marvel attraction can be a great addition to disneyland.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

• Broadway Guru
                    Embrace the kitsch!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by imaginashton View Post
                    Have you taken the time to look at all the characters marvel has to offer? The Marvel universe is literally filled with thousands of interesting characters that come from all parts of the world that can be featured in a Disney park. Trust me, with the right amount of time,work, and creativity, a marvel attraction can be a great addition to Disneyland.
                    Except that's not the way Disney works anymore. Remember, the studios are the ones calling the shots. DL is an advertising vehicle for the studios' product. The only characters you'll see in DL will be ones that have already had or will have a movie made about them.
                    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                    Charter Member

Comment

• Stitch626626
                      MiceChatter
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                      Except that's not the way Disney works anymore. Remember, the studios are the ones calling the shots. DL is an advertising vehicle for the studios' product. The only characters you'll see in DL will be ones that have already had or will have a movie made about them.
                      You do realize that the majority of the A-list Marvel heroes are the ones that have been made into films?

Comment

• LOST
                        New MiceChatter

• Jun 2012

It certainly seems like both Disney and Marvel are taking their time with their intent of using the comic book properties at a theme park setting. Other than movie merchandise and promotional campaigns for "The Avengers", Marvel has yet to invade Disney Parks. I do believe that they have waited to see how "The Avengers would do, so the news that the film will be the catalyst for a theme park attraction is not that surprising. If Anaheim will be the initial location for the Marvel universe, I would assume that Disney will use existing locations/regions that pertain to Marvel properties that people are most acquainted to. If Disney is thinking short term, this will probably be the most practical way. If the plan will take place in Disneyland, certainly the Innoventions and Captain E.O. buildings should be considered as prime real estate for such attraction(s). If it's at DCA, I could totally see it in Hollywoodland, providing that the ideology that the Marvel Cinematic Universe would capture the film theming that the region is (or could be) known for... the Muppets and Millionaire properties could be merged in order to take benefit of the available space.

As of now, I am part of the group who believes deeply that a Marvel theme park could have the potential to be a promising third gate. I would love Disney to challenge itself and create a whole new park based on the comic book world that they paid two billion dollars for. The Marvel universe is infinite, and there are numerous of possibilities to create a unique atmosphere with top-notch Disney Imagineering. How bout going into Professor Xavier's Institute and engulfing yourself into Cerebro? Or how about transporting yourself into the world of Asgard and the Mighty Thor? There are various time periods and worlds that a Marvel theme park could be divided into, I'm pretty sure that Disneyland resort's prime clientale, TOURISTS, will be willing to stay an extra day if a diverse setting filled with Marvel properties would be built. If Disney wants to compete with Universal, I could totally see this idea of a third gate as something revolutionary, being that Disney would deliever on quality and fun for the whole family.

The success of "The Avengers" film shows that comic book characters have broad appeal, there will be an audience for such a theme park. If my adventures at Comic-Con has taught me anything, there is certainly a population of people that are willing to engulf themselves into a universes that Marvel has created. There is so much justification that would enhance Marvel into the Disney company if something like this existed. I'm also pretty sure that strict Disney-purists would breathe a sign of relief if Marvel properties would be segregated from being infused at DL or DCA.

Comment

• Broadway Guru
                          Embrace the kitsch!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
                          You do realize that the majority of the A-list Marvel heroes are the ones that have been made into films?
                          Yes, that was my point. The previous poster alluded to Marvel's extensive character library, implying that among those characters were some that would fit well into DL. I countered by saying that while that may be true, Disney will give preference to a character that has already been the subject of a movie, regardless of how well (or even whether) that character fits. In other words, we'll be more likely to see Captain America on Main Street than a lesser known Marvel character whose story actually takes place in a "Main Street" type of setting.
                          Last edited by Broadway Guru; 06-17-2012, 11:07 PM.
                          Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                          Charter Member

Comment

• Baloo
                            • Jun 2005

If that was the case then the Disney store would not be carrying sets of Marvel play toys of characters that have not been seen in movies.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                              враг народа
                              • Mar 2005

Except that's not the way Disney works anymore. Remember, the studios are the ones calling the shots. DL is an advertising vehicle for the studios' product. The only characters you'll see in DL will be ones that have already had or will have a Disney owned, Marvel Studios movie made about them.
                              Fixed that for you. Fox basically told Disney to take a hike when Disney sought to discuss reacquisition of the Marvel film rights they hold, so I would count out any X-Men or Fantastic Four attractions. Spider-Man is a possibility since Sony and Disney are playing nice, Sony let Disney have the merchandise rights in exchange for keeping the film rights (I think this says a lot about Disney's interests). Spider-Man though has the challenge of then inducing a direct comparison to the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

I do not know why people keep thinking Stark Expo was something grand. Everything I have seen suggests it was Innoventions with a new name, some characters and a few movie props added in. It was not a complete reworking of the attraction.

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
                              If that was the case then the Disney store would not be carrying sets of Marvel play toys of characters that have not been seen in movies.
                              Investment and risk regarding merchandise is much less than a theme park attraction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X