• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cruise
    Certified in everything
    • Jul 2005

Re: Dancin' with Disney - Rare Disney Characters - Stage 17 DCA

First: Seeing these unused characters is neat, and a welcome addition.

BUT: This is bush league. Aside from the Disney characters, this looks like Six Flags, or even a Chuck-E-Cheese. This space could not be less themed. The idea of a dance party is a good one, and kids seem to enjoy it, so the concept could stay (its akin to a younger Mad T Party). But if anything this video shows that the concept works... now they need to elevate it to meet the Disney standard.

The potential here was endless. Its in Hollywood Land... it could be themed to a backstage lounge for characters or a big Hollywood wrap party. But no attempt at theming is made here. Mad T works because the theme is intricate, but it should not be treated as an okay to downgrade and compromise theme for another dance attraction.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

• Maximus
      New MiceChatter
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by cruise View Post
      First: Seeing these unused characters is neat, and a welcome addition.

BUT: This is bush league. Aside from the Disney characters, this looks like Six Flags, or even a Chuck-E-Cheese. This space could not be less themed. The idea of a dance party is a good one, and kids seem to enjoy it, so the concept could stay (its akin to a younger Mad T Party). But if anything this video shows that the concept works... now they need to elevate it to meet the Disney standard.

The potential here was endless. Its in Hollywood Land... it could be themed to a backstage lounge for characters or a big Hollywood wrap party. But no attempt at theming is made here. Mad T works because the theme is intricate, but it should not be treated as an okay to downgrade and compromise theme for another dance attraction.
      This is a totally temporary entertainment offering. It was literally thrown together in a few weeks time and will probably be thrown away in a few weeks time (about 12 weeks, to be exact). It was created to help absorb some of the crowds this summer. After the summer it will probably go away forever... or until the holiday season. It's tucked away in what was an unused, empty soundstage. This is better than nothing, in my opinion. And for those of you who disagree, it can very easily be ignored.

Comment

• clippers6
        MiceChatter
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
        Bring back Darkwing Duck and the 90s Disney Afternoon characters
        Yes!!!

Comment

• cruise
          Certified in everything
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
          This is a totally temporary entertainment offering. It was literally thrown together in a few weeks time and will probably be thrown away in a few weeks time (about 12 weeks, to be exact). It was created to help absorb some of the crowds this summer. After the summer it will probably go away forever... or until the holiday season. It's tucked away in what was an unused, empty soundstage. This is better than nothing, in my opinion. And for those of you who disagree, it can very easily be ignored.
          I don't doubt that it was thrown together last minute and that it was clearly put in place just to help absorb the crowds, but that shouldn't be an excuse for a low-grade amusement park style presentation. Contrasted with the other new summer offerings, this just doesn't meet the standard. There could have been more done, and this is a missed opportunity in my opinion.
          Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

• TCadillac
            MiceChatter
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
            Bring back Darkwing Duck and the 90s Disney Afternoon characters
            Yes, and Yes! Ducktales, Talespin, and DWD and call it a day.

Comment

• sinatra12
              Semi Back
              • Dec 2010

the sign for that remids me of the Tron legacy 3D sneak peek sign from Electronica

sigpic

Comment

• imagineerthat
                A World of Laughter
                • Aug 2006

I went in the other day and it was cool to see some of the old characters the concept seems need a little work. I think it would be better if they had it set up similar to princess fantasy faire where there was a meet and greet area and a dance/performance area. Yeah it's fun to dance with the characters but Disney knows most people want pictures with them.

Comment

• bigcatrik
                  MiceChatter
                  • May 2012

I wish I'd gone. Aristocats and Robin Hood are the two animated features released during my childhood so they're *my* Disney nostalgia, for what it's worth.

Comment

• Benvolio7
                    Ben
                    • Sep 2006

Jafar should not be dancing.

Comment

• DisneyMan
                      At Work
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by cruise View Post
                      This space could not be less themed.
                      Yeah the place looks like something from Disney World

-mark

Comment

• Benvolio7
                        Ben
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DisneyMan View Post
                        Yeah the place looks like something from Disney World

-mark
                        +1 :-)

Comment

• Moving Sidewalk
                          Lost in Wonderland
                          • Feb 2005

I see they reused the backdrop from "Disney Channel Rocks". It works though; it's not a bad thing.

Comment

• fishgal
                            backwards driver
                            • Apr 2012

I saw the Villains dance that they did. Cruella, Prince John, Sheriff of Rottingham, Queen of Hearts, Smee, Captain Hook, Big Bad Wolf, and Jafar, i thought it was pretty cool.

Each of the villains had there own dance. For prince John they did a limbo that was done under gigantic dollar bill rolls. For the big bad wolf he did a special dance where he BLEW wind all around and then these leaves would fall and blow around the room. I forget the other dances but they did do the vogue strike a pose song, and each villain would strike a different pose each time, great for photos! Oh and they did a conga line, it was crazy watching Captain hook playing and dancing happily with little kids. Jafar was off stage for alot of it.

Anyways it was really quite fun and they provided nice chairs for the parents to sit in and rest while the kids played. At the end each villain took a bow and left. I didn't stay for the next group, apparently each group is kind of themed and there is a short break between each one. The music though keeps playing and the Dance Themed CM's stay out the whole time. I think it was the first show they had done for the public so I don't know if they have changed it since then or not.

Comment

• victoriaskitten
                              New ********ter
                              • Feb 2011

What a great idea for the kids. Looking forward to this in September.

Comment

• mondo
                                MiceChatter
                                • Oct 2008

what was Stage 17?

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jul 2010

I heard a horrible rumor that the characters refuse to sign autographs. Is this true? What a waste of such rare characters being around.

Comment

• Capt Hook
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                                    I heard a horrible rumor that the characters refuse to sign autographs. Is this true? What a waste of such rare characters being around.
                                    Yes they don't do autographs and if you want a picture with them you have to dance with them and have someone in your group to take the picture or the characters will not take a picture with you. Like I said I don't know how to dance but for me to get pics with Big Bad Wolf,Prince John,Sheriff,Drizella and Marie I had to dance with them or in Drizella's case ask her to marry me to get the pics.

---------- Post added 06-21-2012 at 11:30 PM ----------

Also I did get some pics of the characters by themselfs but it wasn't that easy to do it when 1. people keep getting in the way. 2. The characters themself keep moving in different places. One more thing when Jafar's music is finish he goes back to the back until the villians are done with there stuff and them he will come back out and go on stage to say goodbye. I saw him do it twice when I was there.
                                    Last edited by Capt Hook; 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Juni
                                      Still Dizzy
                                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                                      If they had it as a chance for autographs, then that is ALL that it would end up being is a meet and greet.

I took my 10 year olds there yesterday and it was really fun and my boys had a blast. The stupidly named "parents chill zone", is a welcome welcome welcome spot to be on a hot crowded day. The bf and I grabbed a couple adult beverages and sat, relaxed and cooled down in the lovely air conditioning.

The songs were a great variation from classic songs, kid songs, and current top 40's. Every kid there was having a blast and even the adults jumped in on some songs. BF and I got up for the cha cha slide and the chicken dance. The character interaction is really good. We stayed through two character sets. One of the mischevious characters (capt hook, big bad, jafar, genie, baloo) and one of the "girls of disney" (the ugly stepsisters, marie the cat, daisy, clarabelle, lilo). Each group had their own themed songs. The best was the stepsisters, they were really fun and stayed true to character. One of them even did a lovely waltz with a teenage boy. After the dance she went over to the guys female friends and had a little interaction with them being upset that the boy was with them.

It definitely feels thrown together, but it's a great addition to this busy summer and a really great time for all ages.

Comment

• CupcakeTerror
                                        Sugar & Spice
                                        • Apr 2007

Awwww so cute!

This could be a really great place to bust out some old school characters! It's fabulous, to me at least, that Disney has made this cute dance party for the younger set. The kiddies can't always stay up for the MadTParty so having this fun bit just for them is perfect!

And a special Bravo to Disney for bringing out some of the not-so-well loved Villans. The Evil Step Sisters? Too perfect!
                                        <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Comment

• Juni
                                          Still Dizzy
                                          • Jan 2009

They did Beyonce's Single Ladies as one of the songs for the stepsisters which was just perfect! They also did one right before that for them that was a song themed to finding a guy or something and they had the girls looking for the perfect guy to propose to them. LOL

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X