Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Anyone Notice The Innoventions Changes?

Eventually I want to write a longer post about the House of the Future to Innoventions as a whole, but has anyone noticed the changes that have been made inside, or things that have broken that just haven't been fixed?

I know Innoventions is stale, but I still end up going every time I am in Disneyland and take pictures of both floors, but mostly the Dream Home on the lower level. Here are some things I noticed since my last trip just a couple months ago:

On The Pavilion Level (Second Floor)

1. The Healthy U Office Of Admission was not working at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1286.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	7368996

2. Where there were once a variety of Arcade cabinets showcasing Disney's online games like PoTC online and Cars online, as well as some health exhibits with motorized bikes you can ride is all gone and been replaced by a giant Microsoft Xbox Zone.

Name:	DSCF1282.jpg
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	7368997Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1285.jpg
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	7368998

In The Dream Home:

1. The first noticeable change is when you walk down the stairs there is a new little foyer with a CM ushering you to move to the left into the house vs. the right where the Rockband stage once was. This foyer is new and was not there a few months ago.

Name:	DSCF1315.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	7369000Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1316.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	7369001

2. In the living room and bedroom's all of the Microsoft Zune's have been replaced by Microsoft Metro (Windows 8) Phones which were not working at the time I did my walk through.

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	7368999

3. In the Kitchen that home helper "Lilian" sadly was not working. I say that because the CM tried using her and nearly all we got was "One Moment Please....", it started to get entertaining when Lilian turned the water on and would not turn it off. Since there is no handle for a CM to get to she had to have a stern repeated conversation with Lilian before it would shut off.

4. In the entertainment room (formerly where VMK was was, and the Rockband stage in the Dream Home) is nearly empty. The Rockband stage has been replaced by a Michael Jackson Kinect system, the Microsoft Surface 1.0 tables you could be checkers and games on are gone. (However this could be because Microsoft is rebranding surface from the $10,000+ to the new tables we saw announced a few days ago)

Name:	DSCF1317.jpg
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	7369002Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1318.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	7369003

In the Lower Rotating Ring Portion

1. When you use to enter through the lower floor and talk to Tom-Morrow, you would enter one of a few different Family Zones where they would talk to you about renewable energy solutions, new technology (many of these things can be seen in the newer walkthrough at Epcot). Anyway a few of the stations are completely empty now, and when I asked a CM he said that currently there are no plans to continue using these areas for demonstrations. So another part of Innoventions bites the dust at least for now.

Anyway I know these changes are minor, I think the most interesting thing for me was the construction of the Foyer in the dream home and how it is clear that Microsoft is still an active sponsor replacing their tech in the house.

Other then that I thought I was just share a quick tidbit of things I noticed I hadn't before (there are not new, just things I had not noticed) like the tributes to older Tommorowland attractions when you look at the outside of the Dream Home from the rotating ring:

America Sings

Name:	DSCF1334.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7369004

and the original Tommorowland World Clock

Name:	DSCF1335.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	7369005

And I had seen a post awhile back that had to do with the books found in Mr. Toad's Wild-ride. I thought it would be interesting to post the books they have in the Dream House that the Elias Family once Occupied.

Starting in the main family room / living room with the office:

(The Main Bookcase)

European Carpets
    The Architecture Of The Italian Renaissance
    Early American Architecture
    Elizabeth Hilliard
    Representation and Architecture
    Fabrics for Historic Buildings
    Victorian Architecture
    The Complete Guide to Furniture Styles
    Royal Pavilion: An Episode in the Romantic
    Design for Outdoor Living
    New Directions in Italian Architecture
    Victorian and Edwardian Windmills and Waterfalls
    Handcrafted Doors & Windows
    The Backyard Book
    Ski Style
    Interior Pedestrian Places
    Arts And Crafts Movement
    Buildings and Projects
    Interior Architecture
    Thonet Bentwood & Other Furniture
    Victorian and Edwardian Architecture
    American Rococo, 1750-1775
    The Poetry of Architecture
    New Directions In British Architecture
    Early Decorative Textiles
    The Age Of Rococo
    The Age of Louis XVI
    The Gold of Troy
    Icons of Renaissance
    Gifts Of The Nile
    The Unicorn Tapestries
    Egypt Stones Of Light
    Nok terracottas
    Castles
    Flowers of Silk and Gold
    Painting, Drawing, and Sculpture
    World Architecture
    Antiques In Interior Design
    Romanesque
    Early Illustrations and Views Of American Architecture
    Architecture From Present to Post-Modern
    American Victorian
    Then & Now
    Your Naturally Healthy Home
    American Art of the 20th Century
    The Northwest
    Fishbourne

(Side Table On The Left Of the Couch)

A World History Of Art
    The National Gallery Of Art
    Italian Renaissance Art
    Impossible Worlds
    Art Through The Ages

(Under the Moonliner)

America A Celebration!
    Xbox

(In the hallway cabinet)

Icons of Architecture : The 20th Century
    Cities of Vision
    American Houses
    Jules Verne
    The Art and Architecture of Japan
    Luxury Living
    Castles (same book as in the main living room bookcase)
    Outdoor Railroader (mag)
    Islands (mag)
    Paris for Visitors 2008/2009 (mag)
    Hawaii 2008
    DK Florida
    Westward By Rail
    Making Tracks : An American Rail
    Pirates
    The Bed and Bath Book
    How To Decorate
    Feng Shui
    The Arts Of Japan
    The Fifties
    Design Source Book
    Pure Style
    Home Small Home
    The Western Guide to Feng Shui
    Explore America
    America From The Road
    The Plains Indians
    Over America
    Over Europe
    London
    O'ahu
    Road Trip USA
    San Francisco
    California's National Parks
    Touring the Sierra NEvada
    Tahoe
    Napa and Sonoma day to day
    Paris

(In The Kitchen)

Chicken on the Grill
    Vegetables on the Grill
    The Grill Book
    From Julia Child's Kitchen
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
    Vegetarian
    Hersey's Classic Recipes
    Campbell's Incredibly Easy Recipes
    Best Ever Indian Cookbook
    The Comfort Table
    One-pot Cooking
    The Italian Mama's Kitchen
    Nourish
    The Art Of Simple Food
    American Marsala
    The New York Times Cook Book
    Fiesta Latina
    Bake me Im yours....chocolate

(In The Boys Room)

G-Force The Movie Storybook
    World Soccer Records 2010
    Soccer: Encyclopedia
    Soccer : The Ultimate Guide
    The Great People Of The 20th Century
    More Than Just A Game
    Football Nation

(In the Garden Patio)

The Ward Lock Encyclopedia of Gardening

Anyway just thought i would post some changes I notices and some side note information. Thanks.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

Re: Anyone Notice The Innoventions Changes?

I haven't been in Innoventions, but I think the only reason I would go in there would be if it were after hours, and with a friend or two to search for the ghost of Debbi Stone.
    sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

So in other words it still sucks. ;-)

Thanks for the update!
      This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Comment

That only thing I care about Innoventions is: When do all the sponsorships end? So it can close.

Comment

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
          I haven't been in Innoventions, but I think the only reason I would go in there would be if it were after hours, and with a friend or two to search for the ghost of Debbi Stone.
          Something tells me your search may not exactly yield results..

Originally posted by mondo View Post
          That only thing I care about Innoventions is: When do all the sponsorships end? So it can close.
          +1!

/thread

Comment

The only thing I want to notice about Innoventions is it being removed to make way for something much, much better!

Comment

If this attraction could actually become the science museum type place they originally described, it could be great. But this cheap arcade is just not working. I'd rather they fix then remove it, because in theory it's one of the few things in the land that holds to its original theme.

Comment

its sad to hear that the place has so many things not working, i wish they would just remove that awefull exhibit.

I WANT TO SEE THE WRECKING CREW DEMOLISH THE BUILDING ALREADY. clear the and and build something new

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to see it gone completely. I'm still a firm believer in "edutainment" and think the idea of a science and technology center is a solid concept that evokes the ideals of the original Tomorrowland. But this "Best Buy on display" thing that they've got going on now is just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
                    Yeah, I'm not sure I want to see it gone completely. I'm still a firm believer in "edutainment" and think the idea of a science and technology center is a solid concept that evokes the ideals of the original Tomorrowland. But this "Best Buy on display" thing that they've got going on now is just sad.
                    EXACTLY. It's a great concept, but awful execution.

Comment

I haven't gone in there send they took out VMK. Like others have said it's time to say goodbye to this place and put something new there.

But there is one good thing I saw with the pics and that was singing a remembers to American Sing in there I do miss seeing that show.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                        So in other words it still sucks. ;-)

Thanks for the update!
                        Lol! So true.

Innoventions has a ton of potential, but it falls flat.

The House of the Future really annoys. They need to go super Jetsons-like futuristic, instead of "House of the Future, That You Can Really Have Today If You Have The Money."

Comment

Love that idea, "Jetsons-like futuristic" Where's the personal elevators and cars that turn into briefcases. And the robot housekeeper, sigh too bad the Jetsons weren't a Disney property. Hmm maybe they could turn it into a "Meet the Robinsons" future type home. That's Disney property that could still be fun. Well fun for some anyways

Comment

cant wait for innoventions to be closed and make way for a up to date attraction

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                              If this attraction could actually become the science museum type place they originally described, it could be great. But this cheap arcade is just not working. I'd rather they fix then remove it, because in theory it's one of the few things in the land that holds to its original theme.
                              You read my mind! I'd like the place if it was more of a science center and not a sales floor for MS.

Comment

Does anyone have info on the sponsorship contracts?

Comment

Innoventions just doesnt work in the smartphone era. You could look at the whole building and say: theres an app for that.

I like the idea of a mesuem somewhere else in Tomorrowland, but how about a comical walk-though about the technological advancements of "the past" (aka the present and near future)? This would even work as a queue for an attraction and give the land a sense of existing in "Tomorrow". Right now theres nothing except for entering the Space Mountain Building.

Comment

@LordVader Assuming thats the story of the CM who got stuck between the rotating and non-rotating portions?

@DJM Sadly yes still very disappointing.

@monda I was hoping a similar thing, if the sponsorship ends then it can be closed and hopefully refurbished into a much better attraction whether like Carousel of Progress or an actual "House Of The Future". I don't think there is anything wrong with sponsors, but they need to be companies who will demonstrate future visions and products, not a current product showcase.

@DLFreak15 I do not think the carousel building needs to be removed for a better attraction. I just think a better attraction could use the space. I know there was some talk of once it closes being revamped as Stark Expo (the first Marvel attraction in Disney), with tributes to Iron Man, but actual companies showing off future technology closer to a more tactile Progress City.

@Darth Maul Again I agree with you, it needs to really be a place that showcases future science and tech. When done right it could be a great attraction, especially if those sponsors and Disney update it every couple years to keep it fresh.

@Baloo I agree that it is sad that so many things don't work. I don't want to see the building demolished but I do want to see if used for a better purpose.

@Diznygrl I also think "edutainment" can work, its just a very sad version of a once interesting concept. Even the 1960's Progress City would be a better second floor exhibit then what we have now.

@Capt Hook VMK was a cool game and the stations there were neat. Got to go on a special tour for getting all the trivia questions right. It is time to say goodbye to what is is now, but it definitely good be refreshed as something much better.

@my7dwarves Ditto. I think they need to go into a grounded but futuristic place with the science and tech. In the 60's the original concepts for Progress City really pushed the envelope. We need something like that again, also done to objects and tech we could see ourselves using. I do not want to see Disney just keep pushing their futuristic properties into Tommorowland. We have Toy Story, FInding Nemo, and Star Wars taking up three spots. Lets see something really futuristic and not just based off a property (although again if its the Stark Expo from Marvel that would at least make some thumbing sense)

@ChurroMan I think Innoventions could definitely work because having an "app" for that isn't the futuristic solution to everything, but I get what your point is. That being said for a side note, Bob Iger is on Apple's Board of Director's. Steve Jobs owned Pixar and had a large vested interest in Disney. I am still surprised Microsoft is a sponsor (probably contract obligations), and wouldn't be surprised if a new version of Innoventions came around that Apple would be one of the new sponsors. Especially with iPad's being used visually be their imagineers and the new FastPass queues, and the embedded iPad's as storytelling elements in some of the new Disney Stores.
                                    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

Comment

I don't go into Innoventions too often, but it is a nice place to get out of the heat and crowds sometimes.

I think it would have been received better if it was in a regular space instead of retrofitted into the Carousel of Progress bulding. having to wait to get in and the long walk to go in and out is a big drawback.

the other problem is the space is too big for the idea. because the building is so large, expectations are high and what is there is a let down. the whole experience could use some editing and updating and moved into a smaller space, maybe half the amount of space as it has now. the rotating ring part is really wasted space.

for the amount of real estate the building takes up there could be 3 or 4 attractions there if they tear it down, dig a big basement level and build two floors on top. alot of space for new things and back stage functions, and the building from the outside would be about the same scale it is now.

note to OswaldTheRabbit I was writing this post the same time you were. similar ideas on the innoventions part.
                                      Last edited by gary94080; 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

@gary94080 ya, I think you hit another nail on the head, people's expectations for theme park ride's are partially set by what they see on the outside. The Carousel is at the end of Tommorowland from it's entrance, and it takes up a large piece of real estate. Especially if you have no idea what Innoventions is, your expectations could be much higher then the let down you get once you walk in. I mean the only two things in Innoventions for a new person to see that are interesting are ASIMO and the Siemens Future Power Game (if you have never played it, it's actually pretty fun). I do wish ASIMO was updated though, from what I understand a newer version of him actually helped out at the Fukushima Plant after the Tsunami.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X