• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Bones
    replied
    Re: The Future of Tower of Terror?

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    They changed the design. Some will tell you due to the footprint, some will say it was just cheap, some will say its was to be more efficient. What you do know is they never built another like WDW - and the others are all like DCA.

The WDW one has two different shafts the cars go into. So there is a scene called 'The Fifth Dimension' where the elevator literally drives out of the one shaft, across a room, and into the second shaft where the actual drops happen. WDW has a different effect than the Mirror scene in DCA. WDW also has a random drop patterns, where DCA has a set of fixed patterns. WDW also has much more extensive gardens and exterior before you enter the building as the building is set back away from the street.
    Aahh okay.

I think that (the part in bold) is what hear a lot of people saying that is one of the major things they like in WDW's ToT than DCA's.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by socalkdg View Post
    The Fifth Dimension scene is the weakest part of WDW's ride. It actually takes you out of the story as you can see the tracks that you move on.
    You don't move on tracks. What you may have noticed was the wear in the floor from the wheels. The fact you don't move on tracks at all (it's a guided self-propelled system) is one of the major technologies introduced in the ride.

Some like it - some don't. I think it's awesome because you got in an elevator.. and all of a sudden this elevator is going sideways - something you entirely don't expect. So it puts people off guard.. so when the real drop sequence starts.. they are even more unprepared.

Leave a comment:

• socalkdg
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    They changed the design. Some will tell you due to the footprint, some will say it was just cheap, some will say its was to be more efficient. What you do know is they never built another like WDW - and the others are all like DCA.

The WDW one has two different shafts the cars go into. So there is a scene called 'The Fifth Dimension' where the elevator literally drives out of the one shaft, across a room, and into the second shaft where the actual drops happen. WDW has a different effect than the Mirror scene in DCA. WDW also has a random drop patterns, where DCA has a set of fixed patterns. WDW also has much more extensive gardens and exterior before you enter the building as the building is set back away from the street.
    The Fifth Dimension scene is the weakest part of WDW's ride. It actually takes you out of the story as you can see the tracks that you move on. I liked it the first time to check out some of the Twilight Zone items, but beyond that I'm not a fan. Much prefer the mirror effect.

From reading the responses here, it looks like most people disagree with the premise of this thread and like TOT just the way it is. I think making the theater nicer would do more for this ride and area then anything else.

I wouldn't mind a talking Tina doll blinking its eyes once in a while. Just enough to make the hairs stand up on your neck.

Leave a comment:

• ghosty4
    replied

Originally posted by Wren View Post
    To be honest, I think its pretty clever how they fit the existing ToT with the remake of Hollywood Land and BVS with the references to the hotel, being a stop on the trolley line and the in cabbin adds. It actually fits in more than ever now.
    THIS! Although, I'm curious about the timeline, because the residents on Buena Vista Street don't seem to know that the tower was struck by lightning.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by White Bones View Post
    My question is why is it that (supposedly) WDW's version is better than DLR's version when DLR's version was built after WDW's?

I hear that ours doesn't have some of the cool things that WDW's has in its ride.

What happened?

Leave a comment:

• BrodyDanger
    replied

Originally posted by White Bones View Post
    My question is why is it that (supposedly) WDW's version is better than DLR's version when DLR's version was built after WDW's?

I hear that ours doesn't have some of the cool things that WDW's has in its ride.

What happened?
    DLR had a much smaller budget to work with. Not sure why though.

Leave a comment:

• White Bones
    replied

What happened?

Leave a comment:

• Rex Dopey24
    replied

Originally posted by starttodaybb View Post
    Not sure if anyone's said this yet, but I was at the parks from June 16th-21st and the far right elevator was down the entire trip. Anyone know any reason for this?

yeah the right side of the shaft has been closed for a while now when i went there a couple of weeks back

Leave a comment:

• stevek
    replied

No issues with it...sure the WDW version is better, but we enjoy every ride. While I'd love random drop sequences, I haven't bothered to try and memorize the current one so it really doesn't feel repetitive. I'm usually having too much fun to even think about it.

It's still massively popular and as others have said, there are far more pressing things for Disney to work on before this. How about phase 2 of the DCA makeover for a start. If you build it (great), they will come...as Disney has seen over the past 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• BrodyDanger
    replied

Originally posted by JayD View Post
    I grew up watching Twilight Zone and loved the show (though it scared the heck out of me), but I don't understand how this intellectual property is relevant to today's audiences. I love "dated" things when they achieve broad status as a classic in our culture (Wizard of Oz, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, James Bond, Mark Twain) and appeal to a multi-generational audience, but does Twilight Zone really qualify? Do people hunger for "more" Twilight Zone in their lives? I have two sons and I don't think they'll ever know or appreciate what TZ is.

So...to refresh ToT I suggest Disney refresh the overall storyline/theme.
    I don't know... The Twilight Zone has been a part of American pop culture for over 50 years and presented in almost every media format imaginable. It may not be at the height of its popularity anymore, but it is still an extremely recognizable brand. The classic episodes are still in syndication and new Twilight Zone related media is still being produced. I would personally hate to see them remove the current theme. The eeriness of stepping into The Twilight Zone is what makes the ride so immersive for me.

Leave a comment:

• madgei
    replied

I think the ride is excellent the way it is. I don't think any part of it is boring, and I've ridden it so much that I have lost count. I love the theme, and the scary music. It is one of my top 5 favorite rides in all of DLR and DCA. This is just my opinion and you have yours, so no big deal.

Leave a comment:

• starttodaybb
    replied

Not sure if anyone's said this yet, but I was at the parks from June 16th-21st and the far right elevator was down the entire trip. Anyone know any reason for this?

Leave a comment:

• StarSpeeder
    replied

I heard that the Tower of Terror in Walt Disney World goes side-to-side. That might be coolio to add. Also, they could make it a tad bit longer or maybe you could actually fall into the basement and see stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JayD
    replied

Originally posted by clippers6 View Post
    ...Beyond that, I would like to see a couple for effects and more references to classic Twilight Zone episodes...
    I grew up watching Twilight Zone and loved the show (though it scared the heck out of me), but I don't understand how this intellectual property is relevant to today's audiences. I love "dated" things when they achieve broad status as a classic in our culture (Wizard of Oz, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, James Bond, Mark Twain) and appeal to a multi-generational audience, but does Twilight Zone really qualify? Do people hunger for "more" Twilight Zone in their lives? I have two sons and I don't think they'll ever know or appreciate what TZ is.

So...to refresh ToT I suggest Disney refresh the overall storyline/theme.

Leave a comment:

• Baloo
    replied

The only thing that tower needs fixing is the boarding/exit area.

I really hate that you are in a highly themed boiler room and enter into a highly themed elevator but have to cross thru a bland office like hallway.

Leave a comment:

• NettyVal09
    replied

Nope keep the ride but change the interior. Everything else looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Disneymike
    replied

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Tower of Terror suffers from being one of the shortest E-Ticket-billed attractions in Disney theme park history. At a disappointing 2 minutes and 20 seconds, grand total time. With the first special effect (mirror trick) running no more than 12 seconds. Followed by the hallway scene, which runs 32 seconds, exactly. (Your total amount of “Disney showroom magic” at no more than 44 seconds.) With the remainder of the ride – random set of “climbs and drops”– just under a minute.

Meanwhile, the original in WDW, runs about a minute more. That minute more, being the 5thSHOWmanship.
    I think Disney could do more in the lobby area such as have the checker pieces move or the teddy bear do something or even better every few minutes have the lights go out in the lobby with a flash of lightning and add some subwoofers for the thunder and some spooky voices such as the missing elevator guests.

Leave a comment:

• rytheguy
    replied

What's wrong with the mirror effect? It always has worked for me. One of my favorite FX in the resort!

Leave a comment:

• clippers6
    replied

When they get around to building a proper waiting area/facade for the Hyperion they can make this corner of the park pretty nice since you'd expect a theater and luxury hotel to be located in a nicer part of the city. I'd like them to make the exterior a little nicer looking. With the new theme of Hollywoodland, the "accident" would have happened recently, so the exterior of the hotel should look like something that recently closed down, not a hotel that have been out of business for decades.

Beyond that, I would like to see a couple for effects and more references to classic Twilight Zone episodes. Maybe even an attached casual table service restaurant (something more in the Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans price range). One very simple thing they could do to improve the ride is to update the opening video with better special effects.

Leave a comment:

• Coolwowzer
    replied

I love Tower of Terror and i feel the building is the best themed attraction pre-DCA expansion. The cheapness has no visible affect on the theme to make it look cheep. True some of the effects that exist in the Hollywood Studios TOT in Florida couldn't fit into the dimensions of the building, like the tunnel and exit effects, and true the Tokyo theme of their TOT is extraordinary, with the position of TOT in DCA and the height requirements of Anaheim, the way the DCA Tower has been the most effective for the park and the view of TOT from cars land makes scene with the dessert, it may not make scene for the movie theme but the backdrop is acceptable for a Disney Park, like Cinderella Castle in distance behind Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. The only things that i would like to see change would be the transition into Bugs Land, I love Bugs Land, I find the area is a great way to connect to the original Pixar movies. But i feel that the best way to connect TOT area with the rest of the park would be through Cars Land if feel like the area could be better connected and the parade route could be extended to connect to where the future Radiator Springs Drive Inn Theatre. Which is another thing I don't like about the area is the Parade route through the area, The area is very bland between the Hyperton and the Parade Entrance, the Parade is LOUD and ruins the outdoor queue and if the parade route is going through Hollywood Land the queue needs to distract the guests away from the parade going through. Im really glad that phase two of DCA expansion is Hollywood Land and I'm confident that TOT will not be left out and will be given a good touch up.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X