Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

    so Disneyland officially changed forever on January 21, 1998 when the original parking lot closed and construction of Disney's California Adventure began. I remember thinking it was a water park for some stupid reason and was EXCITED!!! but i was 7 at the time. was there hype surrounding the new park? was anyone excited or did people dread the new park and resort?

    thoughts?

    also this 1996 map is awesome )

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_QoPo7jekb.../s1600/map.jpg
    sigpic

    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  • #2
    Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

    I got to go before it was officially opened during the AP party. So got a "sneak peek" of it. Was very excited and had an absolute blast with my friends. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. Went back the next week when it officially opened and had just as much fun.
    Originally posted by migo
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!


    Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

      when i heard bad reviews i didnt go until 2010 lol
      sigpic

      This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

      "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

        Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
        so Disneyland officially changed forever on January 21, 1998 when the original parking lot closed and construction of Disney's California Adventure began. I remember thinking it was a water park for some stupid reason and was EXCITED!!! but i was 7 at the time. was there hype surrounding the new park? was anyone excited or did people dread the new park and resort?

        thoughts?

        also this 1996 map is awesome )

        http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_QoPo7jekb.../s1600/map.jpg
        I remember visiting the parks towards the end of the construction (when I was around 5 or 6), and I was with my grandma and my mom and we didn't know what it was (or maybe my mom did but my grandma and I didn't :lol, and my grandma guessed that they were making a giant version of Autopia because there was the mini golden gate bridge.

        I also remember visiting the parks the year it opened. One of the complaints that we see a lot on these boards was that when it opened there weren't a lot of kiddy rides. Being 7 when it opened, I found the park fun, and really wasn't able to see how bad it was at the time, as there was never a crowd, and had some fun rides for me (like superstar limo, my mom and I found it funny and rode it a fair amount.) I also wish they could remove the NPH launch countdown on Screamin, I want to go back to being the only ones to know when it was going to launch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

          I mean DCA as its own park....was not good but I always just thought of it...as more rides so I would go over there for Soarin..Screamin...ToT..Grizzly and Aladdin...and go back to Disneyland
          Happy Halloween!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

            I didn't even know of the park's existence until like 2009! lolol Then again, I never had been to Disneyland before or was remotely informed of the place besides the mere name.
            :meet: Because Bert Said So! :meet:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

              Originally posted by planetsix View Post
              I didn't even know of the park's existence until like 2009! lolol Then again, I never had been to Disneyland before or was remotely informed of the place besides the mere name.
              hahahahaha
              sigpic

              This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

              "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                I mean DCA as its own park....was not good but I always just thought of it...as more rides so I would go over there for Soarin..Screamin...ToT..Grizzly and Aladdin...and go back to Disneyland
                That's what we thought about DCA, just an extension of Disneyland. Superstar Limo was pretty terrible though and probably the worst Disney attraction I ever experienced.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                  Originally posted by Soarin' View Post
                  That's what we thought about DCA, just an extension of Disneyland. Superstar Limo was pretty terrible though and probably the worst Disney attraction I ever experienced.
                  Like many of the early DCA attractions, Superstar Limo was a dis-traction not an attraction... Lol
                  Check out my Disney inspired creations.

                  https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                    It felt like a private get-away park. My wife said that DCA was a great place to beat the crowds at Disneyland. And our daughter loved riding Monsters Inc over and over, so DCA was a good place.
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                      I went to DL in 1999 and that map looks JUST like the one we got! Ahhh memories! I remember DCA was being constructed while we were there... we could see the ferris wheel from our hotel.
                      ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                        Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                        It felt like a private get-away park. My wife said that DCA was a great place to beat the crowds at Disneyland. And our daughter loved riding Monsters Inc over and over, so DCA was a good place.
                        Yes...it was nice to be able to go to DCA in the afternoon and walk on rides.....that's gone...

                        But to be honest Carsland has been taking people from Disneyland so the lines there until noon are GREAT
                        Happy Halloween!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                          to me disneyland was more magical when DCA was under construction... idk why
                          sigpic

                          This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

                          "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                            I was excited while it was being constructed. the anticipation of it every time we went to Disneyland was just building and building. Then I went in June of 2001 boy was I disappointed. I honestly thought we were going to get a second gate like EPCOT calibur and instead we got EPCOT's turd.
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                            DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                              I had my mind on more imporant things at that time. My ex was pregnant with our son when they broke ground on DCA. The birth of my child was more important to me than the birth of DCA! I was oblivious to all things Disney at this time even though we lived less than 20 minutes away!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                                Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                I had my mind on more imporant things at that time. My ex was pregnant with our son when they broke ground on DCA. The birth of my child was more important to me than the birth of DCA! I was oblivious to all things Disney at this time even though we lived less than 20 minutes away!
                                i would say congrats but you said ex which is latin for RUNNNNN!!!!!!!!! haha hopefully everything worked out
                                sigpic

                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

                                "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                                  Excited and then let down.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                                    entering the park: OH BOY HERE WE GO

                                    see's the park: AWWWWWWW :crybye:
                                    sigpic

                                    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

                                    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                                      I went to the park in April of 01, I remember my parents saying this park doesn't have a lot to do, it's not very good. I said I think it's ok but I think I was lying to myself because I lived Disney and I was younger so I guess I thought Disney could do no wrong
                                      "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE
                                      __________________________________________________________

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: DCA opening in 2001, was anyone excited?

                                        I was excited, and even enjoyed my first visit (except for Superstar Limo, hehe). At the time I had never been to any other Disney park besides DL (didn't go to WDW until 2003), so it was a completely new kind of Disney experience for me and I was down with that. But as time went on, I started to notice that every time I came back to DL after being over at DCA, I would involuntarily breathe this contented sigh of relief once I passed under the entrance tunnel and had Main Street in front of me. That's when I realized that DCA actually kind of sucked.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X