Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSR Go any faster?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] RSR Go any faster?

    Now I understand that this is a "family" ride, and they wanna keep it fun for everyone,
    but does anyone thing that RSR will get a speed upgrade in the future?
    What are your thoughts?

  • #2
    Re: RSR Go any faster?

    Thank you. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I waited 8 hours for a high speed race where the wind blasts at your face and you feel the speed of the cars moving forward. The sound of the fast moving passing cars o the outside track also hyped it up. So when I finally got to ride, sure the animatronics were amazing and it was great to see a ride in such a new and crisp state, but the race felt a bit lacking.

    Even after a few ride thought with the hype done with, it didn't feel as fast as they put it out to be. Sorry RSR, you're a great ride, just not something I'd wait another 8 hours for.

    Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: RSR Go any faster?

      So it is not the same speed as Test Track at Epcot?
      L + L = R

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: RSR Go any faster?

        Originally posted by Magicguy View Post
        Now I understand that this is a "family" ride, and they wanna keep it fun for everyone,
        but does anyone thing that RSR will get a speed upgrade in the future?
        What are your thoughts?
        No - because increasing the speed would require reducing the attraction's capacity. Faster cars = less time on the track = less cars can be out there at once since the size of the track is fixed. The attraction is already on a very short dispatch cycle (12 seconds) and is why the indoor sequences already feel rushed. The ride designer said they had to design for basically 7-8 seconds per scene.

        Additionally, making them go faster, may put extra wear on the system because it's unlikely that they could maintain that speed through the more complex bunny hills/dips. So to speed up more in some areas would mean more braking in others.

        Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post
        So it is not the same speed as Test Track at Epcot?
        No.. RSR tops out at approx 40mph where test track tops out at about 65mph.
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


        Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

        Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: RSR Go any faster?

          While it is not as fast as Test Track, I find it to still be the superior ride. Test Track does not match the the fun of the interior portion of the ride, nor does it match the theming on the outside.

          Yes, Test Track is faster, but that is due to the acceleration areas being straightaways. You are basically on an open track with nothing spectacular to look at anywhere. The racers, on the otherhand, take you into the immersive environment of the Cadillac Range. It feels like you are really racing through the desert mountains. I would gladly sacrifice a few mph for the twists and turns and hills that this ride presents.
          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: RSR Go any faster?

            Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
            No - because increasing the speed would require reducing the attraction's capacity. Faster cars = less time on the track = less cars can be out there at once since the size of the track is fixed.
            While I don't believe the speed will change, it wouldn't change capacity to speed it up. You would simply wait longer in the taillight caverns as the cars would get to the cavern a few seconds quicker than they used to. Just look at it as the timing of everything else is the same, but the cars reach the finish line just a bit sooner.

            It would simply be a matter of programming, but it wouldn't in any way affect the dispatch interval. There's enough of a holding area before the unload section that it could handle an extra car or two in holding.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: RSR Go any faster?

              Was I the one who was impressed by the speed of the ride?

              When we took off and it makes that screeching noise and vrooming sounds, I was laughing and smiling because I thought it was so cool. My boyfriend did as well, and he's usually less impressed by Disney rides than I.

              No matter how fast it actually was, it feels like a race to me

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: RSR Go any faster?

                Originally posted by simba View Post
                It would simply be a matter of programming, but it wouldn't in any way affect the dispatch interval. There's enough of a holding area before the unload section that it could handle an extra car or two in holding.
                Your logic assumes 'you take away the buffer you built in now'. Changing the ride speed doesn't decrease that need for the buffer.. so you are robbing Peter, hoping that Paul never shows up to collect

                If you decrease the race time's portion and don't adjust the rest of the attraction.. you'll create a cascade at the caverns. You can't increase the time in the indoor section before someone gets to the race section (to offset the shorter race time) without impacting the input rate into the indoor section.. the first outdoor section or dispatch.

                The race start point acting as a buffer already seems to have some negative impacts on the show in how people queue up for the race.

                The timing in general on this ride seems very strict. And given that you have self-powered vehicles - I imagine the safety systems are even that much more paranoid.
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: RSR Go any faster?

                  Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  Your logic assumes 'you take away the buffer you built in now'. Changing the ride speed doesn't decrease that need for the buffer.. so you are robbing Peter, hoping that Paul never shows up to collect

                  If you decrease the race time's portion and don't adjust the rest of the attraction.. you'll create a cascade at the caverns. You can't increase the time in the indoor section before someone gets to the race section (to offset the shorter race time) without impacting the input rate into the indoor section.. the first outdoor section or dispatch.

                  The race start point acting as a buffer already seems to have some negative impacts on the show in how people queue up for the race.

                  The timing in general on this ride seems very strict. And given that you have self-powered vehicles - I imagine the safety systems are even that much more paranoid.
                  All you have to do is compensate in a way that makes the race last the same amount of time - in other words, keep the average speed the same. One way to do that would be to slow the vehicles down during the final turn into taillight caverns. That's not affecting the buffer between vehicles. It's still going to take the same amount of time for the vehicles to go from the "green flag" of the race portion until they're sitting in front of Mater and McQueen. There's no cascade. You just have to compensate with a slowdown at the end that makes up for the time you gained during the race.

                  I'm assuming a reasonable change in the speed here - from a top speed of 45 to a top speed of 55, for example (not from 45 to 90 or something that would completely demolish the race time). The vehicles would only maintain that increased velocity for a brief period, then would decelerate quicker at the end. The net change in the total time of the high speed portion of the race would be so negligible that it would be child's play to compensate for it during that final little turn (the slowing down portion) as you enter the caverns.

                  Twenty four seconds between vehicles shouldn't be an issue for the racing portion in terms of vehicles being too close together and maintaining safe stopping distance in the event of an emergency shut down. Test track is faster and has less of a time buffer between vehicles than 24 seconds, so it's not a question of safety protocols.

                  Ultimately the reason the speed isn't faster on the outdoor portion is that there's just not enough length of track to get up to the kinds of speeds that test track does, and as you pointed out, the track is built for banks and hops, unlike the long straightaways and wider turns of Test Track.

                  Anyway, my point is that changing the speed of the vehicles for the racing portion would be logistically possible, and it would have zero impact on the dispatch time, vehicle intervals, and ride capacity. From a purely mathematical standpoint, it doesn't change anything in those regards, so long as you make sure that the time (average speed) from point A (leaving the show building) to point B (stopping in front of Lightning and Mater) is the same amount of time before and after the modifications. But whether or not its feasible, the answer is maybe not - the hardware of the track and vehicle design might not be able to cope with the higher velocity without creating maintenance issues.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: RSR Go any faster?

                    I really could not complain about the speed of the race. I am suprised that someone would really say it's too slow. You know you're at a theme park right? You are not on a Nascar track.

                    I think arguing here is pointless, but have you been on a faster ride before? And that is why yout think it should be faster? Or is just simply that its a "racing" ride so it should be faster?

                    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: RSR Go any faster?

                      I see what you say about compensating with slower speed somewhere on the existing race portion - but there really isn't much to play with.

                      You need the time to speed up.. as well as the time at the new speed. To average out you need just as much time slowing down as you did speeding up... and compensating for the time at the top speed as well. (you wouldn't want to decelerate so much harder than you accelerated)

                      The whole outside portion is only ~40 seconds long to start with. 11 seconds of that is in the bunny hills/dips.

                      And you can't just stuff all the 'slow time' at the end if the cars can't go over the hills and dips at the higher speed.. they would have to slow down and accelerate multiple times during the run. So every second given to accelerating or running faster.. means another second running slower.

                      The opening segment is the longest.. at about 20 seconds. Half of that is the acceleration up to the turn.. then its about 10 seconds in the turn.

                      Would you really benefit from 2-3 seconds of 'faster' time?

                      Even if you didn't have to slow down for the hills/dip.. Let's assume you get up to speed in 10 seconds today.. so 30 sec left.. now you want 33% more speed.. be simple and say you get there immediately.. the longest you could run faster is 15 seconds. And we know from Test Track that high speed is only feasible with a long run up to it.. so if you assume the cars need a decent amount of time to accelerate.. you'd end up with far less time.

                      I think it's safe to assume to speed of the attraction was done within the constraints of the overall space, track features, and length, and not just because they felt the need to slow it down to make it tamer. Making it so any desire to go faster being a significant impact in change.
                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                      Am I evil? yes, I am
                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                      Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: RSR Go any faster?

                        Originally posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
                        I think arguing here is pointless
                        First off, I don't think people expressing their opinions is pointless. That is what this forum is for.

                        Originally posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
                        but have you been on a faster ride before? And that is why yout think it should be faster? Or is just simply that its a "racing" ride so it should be faster?
                        It is due to the ride system being the same as that utilized on Test Track that a direct comparison is being made and that some feel that the racers should be faster.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: RSR Go any faster?

                          I hope they don't increase it. It's fine the way it is. If you only want to experience speed, then take part in a street legal drag race.
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                          No matter where you go, there you are.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: RSR Go any faster?

                            Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                            First off, I don't think people expressing their opinions is pointless. That is what this forum is for.
                            Expressing your feelings is not pointless, I said arguing is. I have my opion and you have your opinion, so it'se useless trying to argue.

                            Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                            It is due to the ride system being the same as that utilized on Test Track that a direct comparison is being made and that some feel that the racers should be faster.
                            That's what I thought... I havent rid Test Track. SO are ththey two rides toaly comparable. Does test track have a dakr ride portion? Does it switch between driving, dark ride, racing? Does it do the buny hops and the 45 degree baned turns. Also it needs to sync up next to a fellow "racer". Does test track do that? I thought this was similar toest track tech but 2.0 version of the tech? It has to be right?

                            I am honestly asking because I don't know and I dont want to spend the time researching it right now and watching youtube. If they both do that same thing,. then arguing higher speed is valid. But if they are different then the argument should not be made. Radiator Springs Racers is as fast as Radiator Springs Racers can and should be. I don't see people arguing that Space Mountain should be fast to be more like Screamin. It's basically the same tech right?

                            @FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: RSR Go any faster?

                              Originally posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
                              I am honestly asking because I don't know and I dont want to spend the time researching it right now and watching youtube
                              You watching this for 5 minutes is less of an investment for you and others to type it out for you
                              Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                              Am I evil? yes, I am
                              Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                              Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                              Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: RSR Go any faster?

                                My bigger issue with the ride is that the race is too short. I expected the entire ride to be fast, and was more disappointed that it all led up to such a short race. I'd have swapped the indoor length for the outdoor one. I actually hope they don't speed it up, cause then it'll be even shorter.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: RSR Go any faster?

                                  I have not been on it yet. But while it was under construction, I thought that the whole ride was going to be the race.
                                  http://www.facebook.com/#!/michael.ebba

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: RSR Go any faster?

                                    Originally posted by White Bones View Post
                                    I have not been on it yet. But while it was under construction, I thought that the whole ride was going to be the race.
                                    that's what I thought to, but once I experienced the ride and the indoor portion, I changed my mind. I loved the indoor part of the ride, and to me it wouldn't be as "disney" without the indoor portion.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: RSR Go any faster?

                                      I think it's perfect. I enjoy the begining cruise, the dark ride portion and the race. Even if its capable of going faster... I don't really see any need for it. When I am racing I am not thinking, "I wish this was faster". And based on the hoots and yelling of the passengers, I don't think they are thinking this either.

                                      ---------- Post added 06-25-2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

                                      Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                      You watching this for 5 minutes is less of an investment for you and others to type it out for you
                                      Thanks for the video... But I didn't ask someone to explain the ride to me and type it out.. I just asked simple yes or no question. Are they similar or not? It looks like the answer I was looking for is yes.

                                      Based off this video my guess would be RSRs speed is based on the syncing of the two cars. If it was faster it would be more difficult to have the cars pass each other on and off given the limited amount of track length. And I think that is what makes the race fun exciting and ... "thrilling".
                                      Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM. Reason: Site rule violation

                                      @FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: RSR Go any faster?

                                        I'm sure they can increase the speed of the race without increasing the speed of what happens in the show building......

                                        ---------- Post added 06-25-2012 at 01:07 PM ----------

                                        Originally posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
                                        I think it's perfect. I enjoy the begining cruise, the dark ride portion and the race. Even if its capable of going faster... I don't really see any need for it. When I am racing I am not thinking, "I wish this was faster". And based on the hoots and yelling of the passengers, I don't think they are thinking this either.

                                        ---------- Post added 06-25-2012 at 12:34 PM ----------



                                        Thanks for the video... But I didn't ask someone to explain the ride to me and type it out.. I just asked simple yes or no question. Are they similar or not? It looks like the answer I was looking for is yes.

                                        Based off this video my guess would be RSRs speed is based on the syncing of the two cars. If it was faster it would be more difficult to have the cars pass each other on and off given the limited amount of track length. And I think that is what makes the race fun exciting and ... "thrilling".
                                        Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: Site rule violation

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X