This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Grizzly River Run

Not sure if any of you have read Brady MacDonald's piece in Dateline today, but he was giving opinions on what DCA still needs done to it and he said that Grizzly River Run represents the "old" California Adventure and lacks "Disney DNA" and takes up 5 precious acres of the park so it needs to be refined if not REMOVED!!! I don't know about any of you, but that would really piss me off if they got rid of that ride completely... IMO grizzly, soarin, and screamin have been my favorite and the most successful rides DCA had to offer since 2001. Same with the rumors about changing soarin to an "international" movie scene... i don't see how that relates to CALIFORNIA adventure, and/or California history... I'm not sure if these are just rumors or opinions of the guy writing the article, or if disney is really talking about these issues... Has anyone heard anything else or have opinion's about this?

Re: Grizzly River Run

Calm down. It was just his opinion. Just as the above is your opinion. All good.

Comment

ORDDU: So glad to hear this. I knew there was a reason to love popcornballs...

Comment

That guy was a total jerk. First, he's a nobody in the world of creative design, so his opinions are uneducated at best. Second, he doesn't understand the difference between creative input and bashing and complaining. His views, while some I agree with, were terribly expressed.

Comment

Grizzly was the best themed area's of the Park when it first opened. And continues to be a well themed ride. But it could really do with some enhancements. Take a leap out of Hong Kong Disneyland's book and add AA Bears. And make them a part of the storyline which its lacking right now. Rumours did suggest at one point that we'd get a train going around the site. I like the attraction a lot. It offers some great theming and a great ride to cool off on during a hot Summers day. But Disney could and should make it better. But absolutely should not replace the attraction. I'd be incredibly annoyed if Disney were to replace Grizzly and keep areas like Bugs Land opened.
          Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Listen its a good ride and I do like it....heck I think it will be there for a while but I would not have minded it to have more to it...

I mean its not perfect and I wish that Disney would made it with a Mine Cart ride to make the mountain space used more "efficiently" and added some animal animatronics to just make it feel more like a Disney ride but besides that I think the ride is fun and while not on my Top ten rides....I don't think they should change the look of the mountain...maybe repaint it like they did with the Matterhorn but thats it
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

as much as I enjoy GRR, it's one of those rides that I must admit needs to be removed because it isn't Disney enough. There's no story, it's just like any other amusement park ride. That's not what DL is about, and it shouldn't be what DCA is about. It's about creating magic, not a thrill rafting ride with no plot and which is easily recreateable.

Comment

I think Grizzly is gorgeous, but should be enhanced to tell the story that's on the plaque outside. I don't think Soarin's film should be replaced. It was awesome in 2001, but is showing age quickly. I'd be a fine of it being torn down with Condor Flats eventually and incorporated into The Grizzly Peak area with a new attraction. I know a lot of people love the High Desert aviation theme, but there's not a lot of land to execute it well. Maybe the theme moves behind Cars Land as a bridge to Hollywood with a Rocketeer ride.

Comment

... just remember, EVERYONE has an opinion of what should and shouldn't be at DLR, but we, us, here, are the only ones who really know . right?!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

First off, it's an opinion. He is a writer for the LA times.

It's funny that most people here disagree with him. I can't say I didn't see this coming though.

Personally I agree with most everything he said. DCA pretty much bombed right out of the gate. Westcot had been cancelled and they had to throw something together - and quick. Whether you enjoyed the park in it's previous state or not, you can't deny that it felt rushed, and lacked that certain "Disney" touch that it's neighbor has. Until just recently, all Disney has been doing is putting (and I quote from the article) "lipstick on a pig."

Of course now we have BVS and CL (plus AUA and WoC) which both look incredible and show signs of progress for California Adventure but there is still a lot that needs to be done in that park. GRR is one of those things. And I'm sure in due time these changes will come.

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                      First off, it's an opinion. He is a writer for the LA times.

It's funny that most people here disagree with him. I can't say I didn't see this coming though.

Personally I agree with most everything he said. DCA pretty much bombed right out of the gate. Westcot had been cancelled and they had to throw something together - and quick. Whether you enjoyed the park in it's previous state or not, you can't deny that it felt rushed, and lacked that certain "Disney" touch that it's neighbor has. Until just recently, all Disney has been doing is putting (and I quote from the article) "lipstick on a pig."

Of course now we have BVS and CL (plus AUA and WoC) which both look incredible and show signs of progress for California Adventure but there is still a lot that needs to be done in that park. GRR is one of those things. And I'm sure in due time these changes will come.
                      I do agree with a lot of those specific things you just mentioned, I just don't feel like removing grizzly is necessary... maybe change it up a bit or add some animatronics but unless it's gunna be replaced with a more "disney" feeling water ride I think it'd be stupid.. That's all i'm sayin. just my opinion anyway..

Comment

Idk why people say more themed areas then they want to rip out one of the most themed areas in DCA i just don't get it? saying rip out Grizzely is like rip out the DL castle its like the park icon or used to be lol when i went to the new DCA a week ago i thought it was fantastic and I felt as I was really in a highly themed Disney theme park I wouldn't change one thing about the new DCA. just some thoughts and needed to vent, articles like that get me going, and i know its his opinion and this is mine. (P.s. sorry about spelling/grammar mistakes typed quickly on the ipad)

Comment

Originally posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
                          ...it's one of those rides that I must admit needs to be removed because it isn't Disney enough. There's no story, it's just like any other amusement park ride. That's not what DL is about, and it shouldn't be what DCA is about. It's about creating magic, not a thrill rafting ride with no plot and which is easily recreateable.

This statement is hilarious to me. Many people have major qualms with the fact newer attractions are being tied to franchises. GRR is an original attraction, without a tie-in, but it's not Disney enough and warrants removal?

(Although, I totally agree with you in the sense that they need to define the ride's 'story' a bit more. Which is also weird because people also herald certain attractions for not having a defined story line. But, in any case, I agree ... GRR needs to get the guests involved in something ... like the Jungle Cruise or Kilimanjaro Safari, you're going on an expedition to find the last of the Grizzly Bears.)

Comment

I have been thinking about this ride a lot lately... and how to solve the problems it has... (space and placement and theme).

It can't be torn down. You would have to close half the park for a couple years to do it. So make the best of the area.

First of all, work on the bear head at the peak and make it look more natural but sorta resembles a bear. (as if it was created by god and not WDI)

Secondly, as everyone says, add some characters ot the ride. One of the first concepts I heard, and one my my perosnal favorite Disney cartoons, is adding Humphrey the bear and the park ranger. Humphrey the Bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third... there is a long stretch of land that circles the ride where there is nothing but trees. If they could utilize these areas to put in some themeing... a meet and greet, a shop, a wood carvers stand, heck even a small dark ride of sorts... maybe replace food carts with a more permananet themem structure like the one next ot the matterhorn. Just so there is stuff to do, and it's not just a long walk to the ride, or worse to mermaid from soarin.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7343454

I think it would also be great to extend the Grizzly Pass Trail, to tunnel under the mountain from the current trial all they way through to the area next ot fly n' buy where the Cars meet and greet was. They could also take advantage of this to do some themeing tie in to the ride.

And finally... Red Wood Trail has to go. Come on. People complain about Bugs Land being just a waste of space for little ones... red wood is the worse case of this ever.. It's a large playground. You could put two small dark rides, in that area or even a theatre... Grizzly Bear Jamboree.

@FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

Comment

Grizzly does not need to go away, but there are a multitude of things that can be done to enhance it. Firstly, they have made small thematic tweaks here and there, but many of them remain. The giant bear at the entrance of the attraction, as well as the ride marquee and exit signs throughout the queue should be redone to match the new era the ride is supposed to take place in. Also, some new ride animatronics as have been rumored would really help. I would also include some new cavern elements to ride through with Native American drawing and neat visual effects. Improve the queue so that it isn't so boring. That queue is one of the slowest-moving of them all, and it gets really hot. Some fans being installed would be nice, just like with what they've done in Cars Land. Finally, there are long trails around Grizzly Peak. Theme them up a bit more and add unique characters and merchandise that will add to the experience.

I like the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. It's the Tom Sawyer Island of DCA. However, I can see how that space can be utilized better with a new attraction.

Comment

Get rid of the kayaking bear statue. Then retheme the queue, the rafts, and the general areas of the ride to fit the new theme accordingly. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael808702 View Post
                                  Idk why people say more themed areas then they want to rip out one of the most themed areas in DCA i just don't get it? saying rip out Grizzely is like rip out the DL castle its like the park icon or used to be lol
                                  I would hardly compare SBC to GRR, but I sort of get what you are saying.

Originally posted by Princess Victoria
                                  Grizzly does not need to go away, but there are a multitude of things that can be done to enhance it. Firstly, they have made small thematic tweaks here and there, but many of them remain. The giant bear at the entrance of the attraction, as well as the ride marquee and exit signs throughout the queue should be redone to match the new era the ride is supposed to take place in. Also, some new ride animatronics as have been rumored would really help. I would also include some new cavern elements to ride through with Native American drawing and neat visual effects. Improve the queue so that it isn't so boring. That queue is one of the slowest-moving of them all, and it gets really hot. Some fans being installed would be nice, just like with what they've done in Cars Land. Finally, there are long trails around Grizzly Peak. Theme them up a bit more and add unique characters and merchandise that will add to the experience.

I like the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. It's the Tom Sawyer Island of DCA. However, I can see how that space can be utilized better with a new attraction.
                                  This!

Comment

The idea of GRR being removed is frankly ridiculous and shouldn't be taken seriously. That area of the park is gorgeous and the ride feels rather unique among DLR attractions. It doesn't need a story, it doesn't need to be more "Disney" whatever that means. Forcing narrative is far worse than no narrative.

It could use some plussing - some AA animals would be lovely and add a greater sense of "life" to the attraction which is all that is missing right now, not "Oh you're on an expedition to find the worlds largest bear!"

Comment

The Grizzly Peak area of Golden State was the most themed area of DCA 1.0.! GRR is a fun ride. They shouldn't remove it, they should improve it though. Just add some AAs, a non-overbearing soundtrack, and some dark ride scenes. It will be a "disney" quality attraction.

I might be in the minority when it comes to Condor Flats. I personally do not want it to be removed. They should just put more emphasis on the 1940's airfield theme (which they're slowly doing). Maybe make Soarin' more retro, add a ww2 fighter jet spinner ride, and an area where people can play with old school remote control planes.

Comment

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, what GRR REALLY NEEDS...

A LOOP. Of course!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X