Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

    Sometimes these things happen, its not the end of the world and it happens all the time in retail.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

      What you are referring to is not the concept of supply and demand.

      If you want Disney to "comply" with supply and demand, then you essentially want Disney to raise the price of souvenirs.

      Disney simply underestimated the demand for $12 cone cups. Can you blame them? I wouldn't have thought people would go crazy for them either.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

        Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
        I don't think HMF meant to blame Meg specifically, more the fact that these decisions are made 3,300 miles away by people who think of DL as WDW's "little brother."
        What I mean is that if all merchandise decisions are made in Orlando then Meg and co. are to blame. You would be amazed how out of touch WDW Management is.

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

          You think they would have learned their lesson after Toy Story:

          Barbie
          "And this is the Buzz Lightyear aisle. Back in 1995, short-sighted retailers did not order enough dolls to meet demand."

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

            Tour guide Barbie comes to mind - "Back in 1995, short-sighted retailers did not order enough dolls to meet demand."


            "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

            -Walt Disney

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

              To me, this should be a wake up call to Orlando that unique/land-specific items are a better investment as opposed to the generic merchandising that guests will eventually get bored of buying. Even if prices go up as a result at least people will consider the price growth worth it. We already think the majority of merchandise at Disney parks is expensive enough. The only true dealbreaker is if the item is special enough to be worth buying.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                They are inanimate objects. Five hundred years from now they won't even exist any more. They are meaningless in the big picture. There should not be any emotional attachment to an inanimate object. People should be concerned with the people and other living beings in their lives that they love and cherish. For people to be upset that not enough of this or that were manufactured is a symptom of a society that has completely lost its way. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on this discussion, but who really cares whether a particular object is there or not there for you to exchange power-on-paper (money) for...
                Five hundred years from now they won't exist, 5 billion years from now the earth won't exist so its meaningless in the big picture of the universe. Look the hat won't be here in 500 years but neither will the person who bought it. Just because someone is upset that the hat they really want is not available does not mean society lost it's way. If it increases the happiness of the person who purchased it, then it is not meaningless.
                Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                  Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                  They are inanimate objects. Five hundred years from now they won't even exist any more. They are meaningless in the big picture. There should not be any emotional attachment to an inanimate object. People should be concerned with the people and other living beings in their lives that they love and cherish. For people to be upset that not enough of this or that were manufactured is a symptom of a society that has completely lost its way. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on this discussion, but who really cares whether a particular object is there or not there for you to exchange power-on-paper (money) for...
                  I don't know if you do! but if you have kids then you'd understand more!

                  ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

                  Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                  To me, this should be a wake up call to Orlando that unique/land-specific items are a better investment as opposed to the generic merchandising that guests will eventually get bored of buying. Even if prices go up as a result at least people will consider the price growth worth it. We already think the majority of merchandise at Disney parks is expensive enough. The only true dealbreaker is if the item is special enough to be worth buying.
                  Exactly!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                    Originally posted by choco choco View Post
                    No. Come on guys, don't just lash out at the easiest figurehead you can target. This is like blaming the President as the cause for all your troubles.
                    you mean people dont do that already? o.0 lol

                    ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

                    Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                    I don't think HMF meant to blame Meg specifically, more the fact that these decisions are made 3,300 miles away by people who think of DL as WDW's "little brother."
                    DL is NOT WDW's little brother!! God i wish i was in charge, i'd show them how to run a freaking media conglomerate!!!
                    sigpic

                    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

                    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                      Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                      To me, this should be a wake up call to Orlando that unique/land-specific items are a better investment as opposed to the generic merchandising that guests will eventually get bored of buying. Even if prices go up as a result at least people will consider the price growth worth it. We already think the majority of merchandise at Disney parks is expensive enough. The only true dealbreaker is if the item is special enough to be worth buying.
                      Agree. Let's hope they get the message.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                        if Disney really does have a TON of Tron merch laying around, I need to find it! Some of that stuff goes for crazy money on Ebay to people who bought Tron pinballs.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                          Originally posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
                          This situation is still less of a travesty than say having warehouses of unsold John Carter merchandise or bins of untouched Tron toys.
                          While there is a monetary loss to these items not selling, the lack of the Cars Land merchandise is a potentially bigger problem. People seeing the generic merchandise will not only presumably not spend as much, they will also remember that experience. Those returning may not come back right away, assuming that it is still just the same stuff sold everywhere. This impression would only be strengthened if it really is going to take some time to restock the merchandise. The potential dollars lost is also probably greater than the non-selling merchandise, as there is plenty of mark up.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: Why is the DLR not complying with supply and demand?

                            I agree and hear ya lazyboy97O. Not being able to restock until this Fall is a MAJOR blow. Just when things were going so well, another shoe drops. One has to wonder, if Disney can't restock until Christmas how much merch did they end up ordering/selling?!

                            I wonder if they had an enough to last until the end of summer but it sold out abnormally fast.

                            Either way, the DLR is mostly a locals thing, and the locals are pretty well informed; fancrazy or not. So word could spread that things were hot sellers and Disney may walk away with some good publicity. Also, DLR hasn't had a ton of unique land/theme park specific items in a while and that hasn't stopped the crowds from coming.

                            What drives me crazy is that people really want those tire hats! Really? And those cone cups too! The world of creating and selling merchandise is very strange to me. You're simultaneously responsible for creating the demand, and yet it's virtually impossible to know what's going to be popular, crazy.
                            Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 06-27-2012, 05:41 AM.

                            Comment

                            Get Away Today Footer

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X