X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] WDI to possibly get rid of the Subs

Per Al's update:

Don't like that the Subs are getting targeted, just wish WDI would just come up with a better idea for the Subs.

What do you all think?

Re: WDI to possibly get rid of the Subs

Here's the link, since it's not posted on MiceAge yet:

Bon Voyage? - MiceAge.com

Comment

They probably need the space of subs in order to get rid of the 2 attractions so that kinda makes sense and I believe it will be cost effective for them in the long run and environmentally friendly too
      Last edited by DCAfanatic; 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

the only reason i like the subs is because it set us apart from the rest of the disneylands. And i like large clear bodies of water. It was pretty but i never felt like actually going on the ride.

If they're gonna change things i hope they make tomorrowland feel more retrofuturistic Like a mix between jetsons and star wars or something.

Comment

I was sad when they first closed the original subs. It was the first thing I would go on as a kid. The new Nemo version is OK, but now I think it's time for them to go. I will miss the sparkling lagoon though. Such a great spot for photos.
          But when you look at the map of how much space it takes up, you can see why things need to change. They can make better use of the land, add more rides, and relieve crowding.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	submap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7343459

Comment

Brings tears to my eyes because I remember when I really wanted them back, but I guess they need to do what they need to do.
            DisneyTwins
            Since May 2003

Comment

I think I'd be okay with this if they replace some of it with a large body of water.
              www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Comment

Originally posted by DCAfanatic View Post
                They probably need the space of subs in order to get rid of the 2 attractions so that kinda makes sense and I believe it will be cost effective for them in the long and environmentally friendly too
                Exactly. Ideally, they'd probably only like to get rid Autopia (since it takes up the space of no fewer then 6 MATTERHORN-SIZED ATTRACTIONS!!), but there's no way to accomplish that without completely demolishing the Subs since they're directly below Autopia's foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Director_Guy View Post
                  I think I'd be okay with this if they replace some of it with a large body of water.
                  I don't know if I like that they are going to replace the Subs but if they do I too would like some sort of body of water. It gives the area a sort of refreshing feel to it instead of just concrete and buildings.

Comment

A marvel theme park? is there a thread on this

Comment

It's going to be tough to say good bye to two attractions that Walt loved so much
                      But, if they can add a whole new immersive land or add on to tomorrow land with two E ticket attractions, IT MUST BE DONE! And one other thing......what's going to happen to the monorail??? If they want to use the the whole area for a new ride,i'm assuming the monorail must lose some of its track that winds around autopia.

Comment

When I stop to think about it it probably means the possible demise of the Peoplemover track as well.

Comment

Look how much land there is! This can only mean positive things.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                          ~

Comment

Sad thing is when the original subs went down, I was heart broken. I kinda like the Nemo subs, but my reaction is just "eh". I guess it's time, if it can be replaced with something better. They have proven with Cars Land that they can bring in the classic Disney quality, if given a chance. Since the majority of the Subs area is under ground, they could still keep a large lagoon area, and it could be just as picturesque as it is now, and still give them all that land to expand. I hope they go this route.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

If they were to remove Autopia, they would almost have to remove FNSV as well because of how intertwined those two attractions are. So, that makes sense.

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
                              When I stop to think about it it probably means the possible demise of the Peoplemover track as well.
                              We can only hope..

Comment

I've been waiting for this news since '98 and the "new" Tomorrowland was unveiled. Hallelujah!

Comment

Its definitely bitter-sweet seeing 2 rides go...but...I guess everything has a timeline and it looks as though Autopia and FNSV have finally begun to see the end of theirs.

If there is a "Land" that is in desperate need of change its Tomorrowland (especially after the horrid remodel in the late 90's) there is tons of untapped potential for massive change with those 3 attractions being remodeled or completely destroyed. If Cars Land and Buena Vista St are any kind of insight to the amount of attention to detail and quality then I welcome whatever they bring to the table.
                                  "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

sigpic

Comment

This is pretty unprecedented, considering Disney spent $150 million just five years ago to bring them back. Personally, I could make a list - 30 items strong - of things I'd remove before the subs. But I'm sure WDI knows all about the history and uniqueness of the ride (the ONLY one of its kind in the world), and is confident they have a concept really, really ******* good to even consider this, and are absolutely certain they are guaranteed the money to pull it off.

One thing, does Tony Baxter's title of Creative Director at Disneyland still hold any meaning? Because it is hard to believe he would be behind this. And why does Lutz talk as if Lasseter has all the power. They need his approval to do things at Disneyland now? He's just a consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateLover View Post
                                      I was sad when they first closed the original subs. It was the first thing I would go on as a kid. The new Nemo version is OK, but now I think it's time for them to go. I will miss the sparkling lagoon though. Such a great spot for photos.
                                      But when you look at the map of how much space it takes up, you can see why things need to change. They can make better use of the land, add more rides, and relieve crowding.
                                      Seeing the overhead illustration, there is room they could significantly enlarge and improve both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland with new attractions if that space was freed up. It makes sense. I'm all for it if we get good quality additions.

Comment

I don't really like the Nemo subs...BUT I'd be sad to see the Subs gone FOREVER.....they just represent to me Disneyland just as much as the Matterhorn or Pirates

I guess...if they replace it with a NEW water ride, that would be ok...but it get rid of ALL water from Tomorrowland would be very sad....as for Autopia If it either is made into a new smaller version OR put into Carsland then I'm VERY ok with the land being used for new rides

Also glad to hear Disney is not going to just throw an Avengers ride in Tomorrowland they have REALY plans not just a quick fix
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X