This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

First Marvel isn't "just the movies". Second there is a difference between a movie doing mildly well after good reviews and being a top grossing film of all time. Second He's not just basing popularity on one film, but rather several films in the last 10-20 years which have been blockbusters based on comics. He's also saying that the theme isn't limiting because Marvel is HUGE and there's nothing that says they can't create new and original characters and stories. If marvel's not your thing i get it, but to say that it won't do well because you don't like/know marvel is misguided. As long as it's done well it will be a hit, no matter what the branding is.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungImagineer View Post
      *themes. Adventure, fantasy, frontier, tomorrow.

Not Spiderman's City.
      There is much more to the Marvel Universe than just a city (which has been explained many times in this thread alone, let alone all the other threads on this topic). While undoubtedly, there would need to be some type of cityscape (maybe for the main entrance like Main Street), there could be other lands as well, themed to space, the old west, and fantastic realms.

Why does it HAVE to be all Marvel? No one has answered this.
      No one has given an answer as to why it shouldn't be all Marvel either. The few that I have seen were based on misconception about what the brand encompasses.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

@Wren I knew you would say that, but things have changed. When Disneyland opened Disney was more of his last name then a brand. It was Disney's creations. Now Disney translates to anything kiddy, but Disneyland still holds up. Marvelland sounds dumb to begin with. It is uncreative and brand oriented. AND it would most likely be Disney's Marvelland, due to the fact that Disney is a label now.

I am fine with having marvel in the parks, but having a rides and lands based off of a franchises and movies is not where I want this to go. For Marvel fans, your opinion is biased. Outside of the fandom, at least in my friends, no one I know is a Marvel fan. And it would take a lot of convincing to bring my mom in.

Comment

*themes. Adventure, fantasy, frontier, tomorrow.

Not Spiderman's City.

Why does it HAVE to be all Marvel? No one has answered this.
          No one's ever said Spiderman city and several people have answered your question. Marvel is a huge (is size and popularity) property and a park designed behind this brand would be a nice park to round out the DLR. The demographic that it could draw would be one that disney's had trouble with in the past, while adding much needed diversity to an already awesome resort. You're limiting it because you can't fathom how it would work, but i trust in the company that they've learned from DCA that quality trumps content, and that the initial pull from content will help propel disney as the only choice when going to a theme park in socal, or even the western us.

Comment

It shouldn't be all Marvel because it limits to what you couldn't put in the park, as well as the audience. I would like to see a Discovery Bay, Pandora would be awesome, the grid would work here. Oh wait! MARVEL park? Oh nevermind.

Marvel park is like building Pixar park. Forget about how much is in the marvel universe for a second. Would you like to see a Pixar park? No. But I am sure that die hard Pixar fans would. But it limits.

With marvel, the general theme is a brand name, and that is weak.

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 11:05 AM ----------

@dirton you could still have marvel in the 3rd park, it doesn't have to be ALL marvel. You would still pull a different demographic in, and you would still round out the resort. You would also still have acess to the whole marvel universe, except this time, you have acess to other properties with fans and other original ideas. I'm not saying NO marvel, but ALL marvel would be limiting it. I'm sure this park would be great, but why? Why does it HAVE to be ALL about marvel, all about it's characters. Either way would work, but in the long run, a park centered around marvel would work better.

Comment

I would love for the third gate to be a Marvel park, it can still appeal to all ages, but at the same time it is a great fit for rides along the lines of Indy, ToT, Space Mountain etc. The kind of rides that Disney needs more of in my opinion. The only high quality thrill ride at DCA is ToT since California Screamin' is kind of lame and generic so the problem wasn't focusing on thrill rides at DCA initially, it was the lack of quality

Comment

No i think you mean to say that you think it's weak.

I don't think it's as close ended as you're trying to make it out to be. The possiblities are endless and it's a huge idea for a park. With your reasoning DCA, DAK, Disney's Hollywood Studios, DisneySeas are all bad, limiting ideas.

Just because it's a Marvel park (and no name has been given yet) doesn't mean other properties can't be added. DISNEYland has had Pixar, Lucasfilm and non branded attractions, so why couldn't a Marvel park have other properties. Come on man, think like an imagineer.

Comment

@Wren I knew you would say that, but things have changed. When Disneyland opened Disney was more of his last name then a brand. It was Disney's creations. Now Disney translates to anything kiddy, but Disneyland still holds up. Marvelland sounds dumb to begin with. It is uncreative and brand oriented. AND it would most likely be Disney's Marvelland, due to the fact that Disney is a label now.

I am fine with having marvel in the parks, but having a rides and lands based off of a franchises and movies is not where I want this to go. For Marvel fans, your opinion is biased. Outside of the fandom, at least in my friends, no one I know is a Marvel fan. And it would take a lot of convincing to bring my mom in.

You're making an aweful lot of assumptions still

And regards to appeal for your mother, let her know there will be a Thor face character? Did your friends and your mother see Avengers? If yes, then why did they see it? And did they enjoy it?

Again, Marvel doesnt have to rely on other properties to make its stories. Avatar, John Carter? Marvel has similar properties.

You're assuming too much, you're assuming it will fail automaticaly being 'only Marvel"

Build it only Marvel, see if it stands on that (which I think it will) and then add other properties

As others have said, I dont see Disneyland being a limiter, seeing as properties from George Lucas were added with no detriment to the Disneyland name

(Also, I find it uncomfortable having a discussion/argument where people use their mothers as personal anecdotes =/)
                  There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                  -Dr. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Dirton View Post
                    Just because it's a Marvel park (and no name has been given yet) doesn't mean other properties can't be added. DISNEYland has had Pixar, Lucasfilm and non branded attractions, so why couldn't a Marvel park have other properties. Come on man, think like an imagineer.
                    Really all Marvel and/or Disney would have to do is acquire a property and put it under the Marvel banner anyways and there ya have it. Don't think Marvel doesn't have kiddie based comics under it's name either. Add in all the Disney Character based comics I used to pick up and read in-store when I was a kid. Uncle Scrooge Comics and others from Gemstone Publishing.

Comment

And i think a Marvel only park would be awesome because it'd be a dedicated experiance, one unlike anything disney's done before. There are so many stories and characters in the Marvel universe and if they limited Marvel to say one land only the big hitters would make an appearance. Personally i want to see a whole world, not just a snapshot. Sorry but i hope it gets made.

Comment

I'm open to a Marvel park. If it's to be mainly "aimed at teens and adults", fine, but with all the recent Marvel movies & cartoons, I would definitely make sure to have a good amount of rides & attractions for younger fans/guests, too.

Comment

Originally posted by doppio View Post

I would just love to see that model.
                          Man. I still would like to see what Imagineering has come up with.

Comment

I really want to know how mock up exactly because i model usually denotes that a lot of work has already gone into the ideas and design of the park, but who knows.

Comment

An all Marvel park would be really awesome, and yes it does have so much potential because the Marvel universe is so big. An all Star Wars park would also be cool, and an all Avatar Park (though limited) What I am saying is rather to exclude Marvel by having one name park, I would like to see it incorporated, like Indiana Jones incorporated into Disneyland. As well as Pixar, and Lucasfilm, I would like to include and blend Marvel with Disney, instead of making an all Marvel Universe. I am aware how big Marvel is haha that isn't my argument. It is that making an all Marvel park would seclude it to itself. In a possible third park, I would love to see Marvel, but there are many other things I would like to see as well.

Comment

I've already address that just because its a Marvel park (which we haven't even confirmed what the name/content or theme or if there's even going to be a park yet) doesn't mean that other ideas and properties cannot be included. If they want to add brands or original ideas there's no reason why they wouldn't. Like i've said Disneyland (which is DISNEY in name) has actions from properties it doesn't even own. Your assuming that it's going to be limited because you can't imagine how they could incorporate them but it's just not the case.

Comment

^if that's the case then it isn't an all Marvel park.

Comment

You've been really the only one saying an all marvel park, we've just been saying that it could easily work, and it's actually what i think i prefer after giving it some thought. Disney's never done something like that and Marvel's one of the only brands that's big enough to pull the idea off.

Comment

An all Marvel park would be really awesome, and yes it does have so much potential because the Marvel universe is so big. An all Star Wars park would also be cool, and an all Avatar Park (though limited) What I am saying is rather to exclude Marvel by having one name park, I would like to see it incorporated, like Indiana Jones incorporated into Disneyland. As well as Pixar, and Lucasfilm, I would like to include and blend Marvel with Disney, instead of making an all Marvel Universe. I am aware how big Marvel is haha that isn't my argument. It is that making an all Marvel park would seclude it to itself. In a possible third park, I would love to see Marvel, but there are many other things I would like to see as well.
                                      That would be kind of the point of a Marvel Park.

an alternate setting for people to go where they could still have fun and not have Mickey, Minnie, Princess or fairy tales around every corner. It would be an adventure theme park that would go way beyond the Disney Universe, now I know that it would still have the necessary additions to appeal to every age group and every demographic but as has been stated before. Disney already has 2 parks that cater to the same type of crowd, why create a 3rd park that is more of the same and could potentially harm the integrity of the Marvel Universe.

I for one would think it would be great to have a fantasyland type area (like superhero city as someone already pointed out as well) where you could mix in some of the old Disney heroes like Darkwing Duck and you could definietely include the Incredible because one of the main influences for that movie was all the old-time comic book heroes. (there is even a "nod" to Brody from Mall Rats - played by Jason Lee who voices Syndrome - who was a HUGE comic book nerd in the movie)

I know its getting exhausting trying to get some to see that there is NO limit to what you can do with Marvel. You don't need dedicated "Hero Lands". Just like Disneyland in a sense you create different and immersive environments in which the Marvel Univese can grow and flourish within itself. You allow the lands to be the backdrops for whatever story or stories you want to tell, in that sense you are taking off the shackles, so to speak, and giving everyone an entire new scope of how they see the park.

It really isn't that hard to comprehend, its taking a page out of Walt's vision for Disneyland. He didn't just create a Disneyland as lands dedicated to certain movies or characters, except of course Fantasyland. Rather he built environments in which he can tell stories of whatever he wanted and he would allow the land to flourish and evolve into its own little world...one of the reasons why DLR will always be a cut above the rest.

Now what I have been trying to say for...I don't know...ever! why can't Imagineers work side by side next to some of the great Marvel Artists and Writers to create environments in which they can implement the Marvel Univers into. Where people can be immersed into a world that is beyond what they could even think Disney can do. Those lands (NOT dedicated to a Comic Book hero or villain) can now take on a life of its own and begin to tell whatever story they feel can do justice to whatever world they are in. Whether it be in the Galaxy, or the Oceans, or deserts, or the snow or the forests...it doesn't matter. Do you see what we are getting at now?

To take a wise quote from Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon"

"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory"
                                      "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christianAdam View Post
                                        Now what I have been trying to say for...I don't know...ever! why can't Imagineers work side by side next to some of the great Marvel Artists and Writers to create environments in which they can implement the Marvel Univers into. Where people can be immersed into a world that is beyond what they could even think Disney can do. Those lands (NOT dedicated to a Comic Book hero or villain) can now take on a life of its own and begin to tell whatever story they feel can do justice to whatever world they are in. Whether it be in the Galaxy, or the Oceans, or deserts, or the snow or the forests...it doesn't matter. Do you see what we are getting at now?

That would be awesome. It would just be like how Walt worked with his animators back in the day! :thumbup:

Comment

I have to say that's a wicked idea. I'm really hoping that we'll see a totally different kind of park this time around, really break the mold, but i doubt that will happen.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X