• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirton
    Banned User
    • Mar 2005

[Rumor] People Mover Removal

Someone just posted a rumor about word going around the resort that with the removal of some tomorrowland attractions the people mover track is set for removal too…

Any thoughts and ideas? I’m sad to see it go without being reimagined but at least we won’t hear about the empty track anymore.

EDIT: My bad i didn't see the other thread refering to this.
    Last edited by Dirton; 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM.
  • DL_CRAZE
    Waiting 4 DCA Demolition
    • Mar 2005

Re: People Mover Removal

This has been rumor for years, due to oscha (is that how it's spelled lol) restrictions. I would rather they do it now rather then leave it rotting there for another 12 years.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Comment

• ScottG
      Done with MC.
      • May 2007

Since Tony Baxter was quoted a while back as saying there are definite plans for the PM, I don't think its removal is likely.

Comment

• Dirton
        Banned User
        • Mar 2005

i missed what he said about it. What was the quote?

Comment

• Linus
          • Mar 2012

I think the track is going bye bye. But a similar structure will be put up for shade down the middle.
          Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Comment

• biggsworth
            MiceChatter
            • Apr 2009

the only things that was mentioned in Al's report was the removal of Autopia, the subs, and Innoventions. Even those three are all speculation at this point until it's officially announced. I do trust that Al's info is legit though. As far as any other rumor that is floating around I would treat it as that a rumor.

In the case of the PM it has been mentioned a lot that the tracks pretty much need to be rebuilt if they were ever to bring them back because of safety reasons. The current infrastructure is outdated and now has been untouched for 10 plus years. So maybe they will take out the old PM track and put something else up. I loved the PM but I would welcomed a updated version of it at this point as long as it;s not the rocket rods placed on the PM track
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

• LordVader
              Heavy Breather
              • Jun 2012

They've been sitting there for nearly 10 years unused. The time has come for the dismantlement of the track. With the supposed removal of the Subs, Autopia, and Innoventions, the removal of the People Mover track is not out of the question.

Vader Out.
              sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Brisal73
                • May 2005

I don't think the Peoplemover track will completely go away.
                From what I know the PM track in the Autopia, Sub, Motor Boat area will be gone and the new layout will go from Innoventions to the back of the Buzz building.

Comment

• daannzzz
                  • Feb 2005

"Ladies and Gentleman, as you board the Peoplemover please watch your step and keep hands and arms inside the car at all times. On your left you can see the Space mural which was Thank you for riding the Peoplemover. As you exit please take small children by the hand.
                  Last edited by daannzzz; 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• calsig31
                    -
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
                    Since Tony Baxter was quoted a while back as saying there are definite plans for the PM, I don't think its removal is likely.
                    Maybe the definite plans he spoke of were its removal.
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• s8ntmark
                      Ursus H. Bear, ESQ
                      • Mar 2005

I don't think they'll keep the track over where Autopia and Subs are. If they tear down the Carousel Theater the PM track will be removed there as well. Either way whatever they wind up keeping, the track will have to be rerouted.

And after 12 years of Non-use, I'm sure they would want to repair parts of it anyway.

Maybe they can use the track for the oft mentioned second level that was considered for Tomorrowland 2055.

---------- Post added 06-29-2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
                      Unless things have changed since he said that.
                      "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Comment

• Congo Chris
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2012

They need more room for strollers in front of Star Tours. Ugh!

Comment

• Dirton
                          Banned User
                          • Mar 2005

If you take into account that the center hub of Tomorrowland is the base of the PeopleMover, with it's removal plus all of the possible removals of Subs/Autopia/Innoventions that is a huge space to work with. Could you imagine how different Tommorrowland would look without the peoplemover tower?

Comment

• Roythe13th
                            MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2010

Even if PM doesn't come back, something should be used in it's place even if it means tearing it down and rebuilding. With the space issues at DL, it's too valuable real estate to go unused. Maybe they can tear it down and rebuild it and make it an all electric version of Autopia in the sky? You have sections outside up high then enter show buildings for a more themed area. Maybe it could use concepts of future cars and highways like you see in Minority Report and the new Total Recall? That would certainly be a concept for Tomorrowland! Just a thought.

Comment

• Druggas
                              Hooterville, USA
                              • Feb 2005

What's the hurry with removing it?

When I see the track, I remember fondly riding it, and now the track is a reminder to me that they will bring it back!
                              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• Dirton
                                Banned User
                                • Mar 2005

I'm sorry i'm just totally against blind nostalgia. To me it’s like a messy garage. You don’t want to throw anything out because of memories or the possible chance of it being used again. I’d rather move forward and get something new, even if thats just beautification. Disneyland should never become a museum and the PM has become an aged piece of history.

Comment

• Baloo
                                  • Jun 2005

I agree, tear it down already along with all of the eastern side of Tomorrowland

Comment

• WorldDisney
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dirton View Post
                                    I'm sorry i'm just totally against blind nostalgia. To me it’s like a messy garage. You don’t want to throw anything out because of memories or the possible chance of it being used again. I’d rather move forward and get something new, even if thats just beautification. Disneyland should never become a museum and the PM has become an aged piece of history.
                                    This!!! Sooo this!

I mean c'mon, the tracks should stay so we can remember what it was like to ride it 15 years ago? Thats what pictures and youtube is for!

I say if the rumor is true, about time! The tracks have become nothing but an eyesore to the area and doing nothing but rotting away. If they could do something with them and had plans to, great, but everyone has said it constantly they cant even use those tracks anymore. So even if they came up with a new concept they have to go regardless!

So tell them down already and if they come up with something later, fine, but if not then lets move forward and get rid of them.

Comment

• BlAcKoUt510
                                      Hello Dolly.
                                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Dirton View Post
                                      I agree.
                                      Keeping it there doesn't bring me any hope at all, just makes me think of how messy the land is right now.

Those tracks being there isn't going to bring anything back and make me hopeful, as we all know they have to tear them down anyways and can't be used.

Comment

• Disneytwins
                                        • Oct 2005

I have a strange feeling that something big is going to happen to Tomorrowland. Lots of rumors over the past month or so. Not sure if the completion of DCA has anything to do with the recent surge in rumors.
                                        DisneyTwins
                                        Since May 2003

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X