• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrsMonroe
    replied
    Re: stop calling DCA Pixar land

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    maybe it would help people keep the line more distinct if disney stuck to hand-drawn and left the cg to pixar... Just my 2 cents
    thank you!!!

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Princess and the Frog as well as the wonderful Winnie the Pooh were hand drawn. But it is unfortunate that there's fewer hand drawn films in the pipe line. But so far, the two hand drawn films didn't make much money compared to one Tangled. So there's that.
    Tangled made money because it was well made, not because it was CG... plus it is one of the most expensive animated movies ever made, originally it was going to be hand-drawn then like halfway through they changed their mind and made it CG, hence the huge budget... I'm wondering if Nintendo is getting royalties for Wreck-It-Ralph

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 06:59 PM ----------

Originally posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    Some people think that every good CGI film is Pixar. I know, it is sad. How many times will I have to tell people that shrek isn't Pixar.
    same with how everyone thinks Anastasia is Disney... I just tell people that Pixar only has 13 films, and WDAS only has 51 (52 with Wreck-it-Ralph)

Leave a comment:

• YoungImagineer
    replied

Some people think that every good CGI film is Pixar. I know, it is sad. How many times will I have to tell people that shrek isn't Pixar.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

How old is old? I'm 20 and when I was growing up the new Disney movie meant a new hand-drawn animated musical with Alan Menken's music. Pixar meant a CG buddy movie with Randy Newman's music. But when Disney made Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, and a few others I lost hope for WDAS. Then when John was brought in as the head of both I remember seeing that he asked the animators if they would prefer to do hand-drawn or cg to which they voted for hand-drawn. Of the last 3 WDAS movies, only 1 wasn't hand-drawn and all 3 were Excellent movies. And it looks like they are using a handful of different animation styles in Wreck-it-Ralph. So the question becomes, will the WDAS movies after Wreck-it-Ralph be hand-drawn (like Frozen). Also, does anyone know why Alan Menken isn't doing the music in Frozen?

Princess and the Frog as well as the wonderful Winnie the Pooh were hand drawn. But it is unfortunate that there's fewer hand drawn films in the pipe line. But so far, the two hand drawn films didn't make much money compared to one Tangled. So there's that.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied

That's definitely what many older fans would prefer. Again, Eisner's doing because of how good Pixar was but he didn't want to buy them. He wanted Disney to become the next Pixar.
    How old is old? I'm 20 and when I was growing up the new Disney movie meant a new hand-drawn animated musical with Alan Menken's music. Pixar meant a CG buddy movie with Randy Newman's music. But when Disney made Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, and a few others I lost hope for WDAS. Then when John was brought in as the head of both I remember seeing that he asked the animators if they would prefer to do hand-drawn or cg to which they voted for hand-drawn. Of the last 3 WDAS movies, only 1 wasn't hand-drawn and all 3 were Excellent movies. And it looks like they are using a handful of different animation styles in Wreck-it-Ralph. So the question becomes, will the WDAS movies after Wreck-it-Ralph be hand-drawn (like Frozen). Also, does anyone know why Alan Menken isn't doing the music in Frozen?

Leave a comment:

• brenden
    replied

Maybe it would help people keep the line more distinct if Disney stuck to hand-drawn and left the CG to Pixar... just my 2 cents
    That's what I thought they were going to do.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Maybe it would help people keep the line more distinct if Disney stuck to hand-drawn and left the CG to Pixar... just my 2 cents

That's definitely what many older fans would prefer. Again, Eisner's doing because of how good Pixar was but he didn't want to buy them. He wanted Disney to become the next Pixar.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied

Your post supports that people think of Pixar brand before they think of Disney when it comes to CG animation.

Disney is finally taking a step towards quality again and that's a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• ashmonster
    replied

Originally posted by Eonevoli1017 View Post
    It's not the same creators. Disney was merely the distributor for Pixar dating back to the original Toy Story. Disney didn't just purchase Pixar because it sounded like a good idea. It is an amazing brand because of their successful movies over the last 15+ years and will continue to do so until they throw out a huge bomb.

As bad as Cars 2 might have been last year, it was still a decent movie. I just felt it didn't live up to the Pixar standard, albeit a high one. DCA isn't exclusively Pixar, after all, Nemo is in Tomorrow Land in the other park, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not see the influence Pixar has had over the development and re-development of DCA, Cars Land is a testament to that.
    I haven't gone through every post yet, but I agree with this! Studio Ghibli is also distributed in the states by Disney, but I would never say that Miyazaki films are Disney. Let's not forget that Pixar was created after Disney fired Lasseter. If anything Pixar holds a style more similar to Apple thanks to the support of Steve Jobs.

The only thing I will agree with the original poster of this thread on is when people refer to DCA as Pixar Land in a negative way. Pixar has provided the best story lines in Animation since it started. Up until Princess and the Frog and Tanged Disney was really lacking in that department.

Disney and Pixar may go hand in hand but the two are very different companies. Even if John Lasseter is starting to really bridge that gap by having a large presence within Disney now.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Do they go Disney vs. Dreamworks? In my experience, yes. Someone recently asked me if Wreck it Ralph was Pixar, which tells me that the line is perpetually being blurred. Pixar is not Disney in that the two are separate entities that do their own thing (for the most part). However, Pixar is as much a legitimate part of Disney as anything else.

Your post supports that people think of Pixar brand before they think of Disney when it comes to CG animation.

Disney is finally taking a step towards quality again and that's a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• WatchYourHeadNStep
    replied

I've been calling it Disney's Pixar's Calfornia Adventure because that IS what it IS.....85% of the park is related to a Pixar Animation Studios feature film.

Although Disney-Pixar-Marvel are all under one corporate banner they are still their own companies.

Leave a comment:

• ohmyjustin
    replied

When people compare computer animated films, do they go Disney vs Dreamworks? No. They go Pixar vs Dreamworks. Pixar is a very powerful brand that means quality, just as the name Disney did.
    Do they go Disney vs. Dreamworks? In my experience, yes. Someone recently asked me if Wreck it Ralph was Pixar, which tells me that the line is perpetually being blurred. Pixar is not Disney in that the two are separate entities that do their own thing (for the most part). However, Pixar is as much a legitimate part of Disney as anything else.

If someone wants to make the argument that Grey's Anatomy is Disney, then I'd agree with that because Disney is still the umbrella that covers it. No one can say that Disney is Grey's Anatomy. A square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle needn't always be a square.

Leave a comment:

• clockworkmonkey
    replied

I think the point people are making when they call DCA Pixarland isn't about judging whether Pixar is "real Disney" or real quality or anything along those lines. I think what they're pointing out (sometimes snidely, sometimes with gentle ribbing) is that for a park that is supposed to be themed to California, there are an awful lot of Pixar attractions that don't have anything to do with the state or require an awful lot of special explanation to create a link to the state.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Everything is under the massive corporate WALT DISNEY COMPANY umbrella. But each has its own identity.

Now, the Studios has made the bone headed move to open each of their releases with the boring DISNEY banner. The intended purpose, to make everyone think that everything is DISNEY. And while they're right, all it does is create confusion.

Following the familiar DISNEY castle though, is the identifying studio, be it Pixar, Walt Disney Animation, or Marvel. I think Muppet Studios has its own banner but I can't remember off the top of my head.

What's my point... point is, Pixar is its very own distinct brand that is SEPARATE from Disney. Even Disney as a corporation acknowledges this.

When people compare computer animated films, do they go Disney vs Dreamworks? No. They go Pixar vs Dreamworks. Pixar is a very powerful brand that means quality, just as the name Disney did.

I actually think it's smart to do it this way. You might have Pixar fans who don't like Disney or vice versa. Keeping things identifiable can mean certain fans can easily pick and choose what they want to participate in.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied

I haven't heard this term for a long time in the parks or on here. I never considered it Pixarland. It's DCA to me. I would love a Pixarland though but that's a different thread I pretty much don't mind DIsney using their own proprties in the parks as long as they deliver it with great quality. The recent additions to DCA show that they are moving towards that direction in quality.

Leave a comment:

• cruise
    replied

Is ESPN Disney? Is Marvel Disney? Is ABC Disney? Yes and No. Regardless of your answer to those, if you're going to call Pixar films, "Disney films", then you should also call Grey's Anatomy and The Avengers Disney films.

Geez... even the discussed Marvel third gate should really just be called a Disney third gate......

Originally posted by Joshnyah View Post
    People can be so silly, If you cant fix it, dont try and break it :P Im sure in 1954 people were saying to Walt, "Walt I am telling you, nobody is going to like the tiki room, Who wants to see a bunch of fake birds"
    I doubt anyone was saying this in 1954...

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Pixar land, Pixar Park, Pixar's California Adventure, Disney's Pixar Adventure...
    all ive heard from people at the park and here
    First you said that people think of Pixar as just Disney. Now you're saying you regularly hear people make a comment that only makes sense if they know of Pixar as something distinct and unique to itself. Which is it?

Leave a comment:

• Joshnyah
    replied

I dunno, I dont think they should start tearing into bugsland anytime soon. I think they just did a great job revamping the park, and it is great, you cannot take away the kiddie areas of the parks, Disneyland has it, DCA needs it. I will be happy if its tough to be a bug never departs us.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Imagineers are definitely missing out on some big opportunities in DCA when it comes to future expansion and Pixar. The Pixar Play Parade, Monsters, and Bug's Land are all three properties that can easily get the boot and be replaced by something. I'd really like to see a much more elaborate dark ride in place of Monsters and the surrounding buildings (excluding Muppet*Vision) even if it's the Great Movie Ride or something (although I can guarantee Pixar would be a part of the new Great Movie Ride here). The Pixar Play Parade could be replaced by something as a simple as a parade dedicated to California that ISN'T that horrifying California-themed parade I still remember from 2001. That parade scared the crap out of me haha.

Bug's Land is perhaps one of the biggest and only remaining pieces of major real estate in the park and quite frankly the size of it is perfect for the updated California Gold Rush rendition of Western River Expedition. I've been interested in posting my full idea for that in the future but basically it'd be Western River moved to Northern California with gold miners in place of the cowboys and Indians and many other vast differences. Nearly all of the western references would be removed and relocated to something new for Frontierland. Or Western River is just built in Frontierland and DCA gets something different like...Discovery Bay perhaps? Discovery Bay is set in Gold Rush-era San Francisco you know.

Leave a comment:

• Joshnyah
    replied

Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Pixar land, Pixar Park, Pixar's California Adventure, Disney's Pixar Adventure...
    all ive heard from people at the park and here

People can be so silly, If you cant fix it, dont try and break it :P Im sure in 1954 people were saying to Walt, "Walt I am telling you, nobody is going to like the tiki room, Who wants to see a bunch of fake birds"

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X