X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DARTH MAUL
    Banned User
    • Jul 2010

[Chat] Does Disney need a new wait time board?

Okay, so I know this sounds weird, but with DCA's makeover, I can't help but notice that their wait time board looks a lot better than Disneyland's. And it really makes it look like they have more attractions than the other park.

compared to

I know, it's a small thing to notice, but it really doesn't accurately reflect the park. I used to think there just wasn't room for everything, but now I see they really could put more wait times on there. They've had this board forever, so I know it's an older model, but I think it's time to upgrade. Too bad it's in theme or I'd say, go digital like other theme parks.
  • chesirecat
    Banned User
    • Jun 2005

Re: Does Disney need a new wait time board?

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Okay, so I know this sounds weird, but with DCA's makeover, I can't help but notice that their wait time board looks a lot better than Disneyland's. And it really makes it look like they have more attractions than the other park.

compared to

I know, it's a small thing to notice, but it really doesn't accurately reflect the park. I used to think there just wasn't room for everything, but now I see they really could put more wait times on there. They've had this board forever, so I know it's an older model, but I think it's time to upgrade. Too bad it's in theme or I'd say, go digital like other theme parks.
    It is interesting to compared the two different boards. I will concede that the Disneyland board has some exposed metal which could be painted, but I like the look of the Disneyland board as it has the important information.

Here's my impression of DCA's board.

1. Too many rides listed. I mean, really, the list rides like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, which while it may have had long lines when Carsland opened, my pre-Carsland experience is Heimlich's attraction (it can barely be called that), usually has an insignificant wait, and 90% of riders are families with little kids, so nobody is really worried about being able to get on Heimlich. We all know why DCA lists so many rides . . . as a marketing tool to make people feel DCA has a lot of rides, technically yes, quality rides? Not nearly as many as Disneyland.

2. The red is bit too glaring if you just want the info, Disneland's board has bigger lettering and you instantly get the info about the big rides that notoriously can get long lines. Its not computer generated numbers, but looks very easy on the eye.

3. It is ridiculous what they put on the DCA board, I mean Blue Sky Cellar, really?? Bakery tour, really??

4. The DCA board looks inconsistent in that Fast Pass is labeled differently for different rides, plus Little Mermaid has in caligraphy, "Ariel's Under Sea Adventure" . . . just advertising for what was initially described as an E-Ticket.

I'm not a super regular visitor to the parks, but the board in Disneyland is nice as it gives a heads up, I think the board in DCA is more of an advertising gimmick. Goofy's Sky School has Fast Pass . . . really?!? DCA's board is like one of those diner menus that list every single thing on the menu and are hard to read/comprehend.

If Disneyland's board does go digital, I think they should use screens to display similar size font and style as it is easy to read as you are walking to Adventureland. (I'm not talking about LED t.v. screens or those hideous digital numbers, but using Kindle style technology to make the numbers look like they were painted on. I'm sure they could actually make it looks just as nice, but allow for the automation of the wait times. They have these screens that look like painted stuff in the attic in the HM, they could make a much better board than DCA's.

Thank you for posting the pictures, but I guess I really disagree, sorry!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• RatherBeAtDLand
      Disneyland's the best!
      • Mar 2010

I think the DCA board could use some tweaking, but I think that's closer to what the Disneyland board should aim for. It needs more rides on it, I think.
      It's easy enough to be pleasant
      when life hums along like a song.
      But the man worth while
      is the man who can smile
      when everything goes dead wrong.

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
        Banned User
        • Jul 2010

It's really just the layout I find more pleasing. The DL one just looks tired to me in comparison. As for listing everything, I'm not sure that's necessary, but it's certainly easier than asking a CM and having them call for you, which is the go-to method in DL.As for Digital, I don't think they can if they wanna stay in the theme of MS and BVS.

Comment

• chesirecat
          Banned User
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
          I think the DCA board could use some tweaking, but I think that's closer to what the Disneyland board should aim for. It needs more rides on it, I think.
          What rides are missing on the Disneyland board that folks would want some quick info about? Subs? Toad?

Remember that there are a lot of cell apps which let you track the wait-times, I've used them myself in the parks, I think Disney even made an official one. I think that the board helps those who want to get on an E-Ticket quick and ride it before the lines get long, and to help guests get a general idea of wait times, and remember, it is only located in one part of the park . . .

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

It's really just the layout I find more pleasing. The DL one just looks tired to me in comparison. As for listing everything, I'm not sure that's necessary, but it's certainly easier than asking a CM and having them call for you, which is the go-to method in DL.As for Digital, I don't think they can if they wanna stay in the theme of MS and BVS.
          I don't understand what you mean by having a CM call and asking for you. I would think most APers have the cell phone apps, yes?

With digital face recognition (or maybe hat recognition would be more PC), small cameras could easily monitor the entrance/exit and by sampling hundreds of faces every minute, figure the exact wait time and update it frequently by relaying this to a wait time board, if Disney wanted to save money and automate the process.

I think that the digital numbers are sort of passe as it would be easy to add Kindle style screens used in HM to make the numbers look like the current DL wait time board which is much, much easier on the eyes having larger letter and numbers, and in a pleasant green and tan, when compared to the bright primary colors of DCA's board, Red, blue and Green.

From a Graphic Design/pragmatic standpoint, Disneyland's wait time board works as you can see it from further away, and it is less cluttered, more economical and efficient, in the info that it displays. They could easily replicate this same font size and style with ereader screen type technology to make the numbers appear like they were painted on.

Disneyland's board blends into the surroundings, DCA's sticks out like a sore thumb, it is an advertisement, almost yelling at guests "We have rides! Right Heimlich?"
          Last edited by chesirecat; 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
            Banned User
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post

Disneyland's board blends into the surroundings, DCA's sticks out like a sore thumb, it is an advertisement, almost yelling at guests "We have rides! Right Heimlich?"
            That's a bit extreme. Most parks have these, it's not an ad. You're already in the park. Aesthetically, it fits its surroundings, and it should stand out. It's information.

Comment

• greeeneyes17
              MiceChatter
              • Apr 2012

I personally think both parks should have an electronic wait times board so we could eliminate people having to change the signs.

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
                Banned User
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
                I personally think both parks should have an electronic wait times board so we could eliminate people having to change the signs.
                The issue is keeping them in theme.

Comment

• brenden
                  Banned User
                  • Jun 2007

It'd be cool if they had more than one wait board. Even though there are apps out there, it would be nice to have a board in Tomorrowland that you could reference before traversing across the park to see how the line for Splash Mountain is.

Originally posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
                  If it was done well, I think electronic signs could work.

Comment

• Malina
                    MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

I for one would love to see all of the DLR rides up on the board. Haunted Mansion, Toad, et al...not all of us have the apps. The ones I've found are only for iphones and droids, and not all of us have those.

Knowing if a ride has a long or short wait, or is currently offline, can be a great way to avoid a hike to one end of the park or to figure out a game plan, and that includes the b and c tickets, too.
                    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
                      Banned User
                      • Jul 2010

I agree that Disney shouldn't rely on people having an app. That's just a little too lazy/high tech reliant for my taste.

Comment

• JMazz
                        Banned User
                        • May 2012

That's a bit extreme. Most parks have these, it's not an ad. You're already in the park. Aesthetically, it fits its surroundings, and it should stand out. It's information.
                        The DCA board is def an advert. Sure it has info, but it lets the GP know when they arrive that they made a great choice, that there are many things to do in DCA (even if they heard that there was very little in years past). It is a way for Disney to gloat too, IMO.

Ads continue in the park. They do not always have to sell you a product, sometimes the ads sell you an idea.

Comment

• PressPersily
                          Photographer-In-Training
                          • Dec 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	22870005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	7343550

Just kidding but idk really I don't use them that much anyways.
                          Attached Files
                          -Carter P.

Comment

• monster heck
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jul 2012

I agree that Disney shouldn't rely on people having an app. That's just a little too lazy/high tech reliant for my taste.
                            Too lazy? Please explain this!

Comment

• brenden
                              Banned User
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JMazz View Post
                              The DCA board is def an advert. Sure it has info, but it lets the GP know when they arrive that they made a great choice, that there are many things to do in DCA (even if they heard that there was very little in years past). It is a way for Disney to gloat too, IMO.

Ads continue in the park. They do not always have to sell you a product, sometimes the ads sell you an idea.

Yeah, they should stop giving out maps, too. I wish they'd stop gloating about how many attractions they have and delivering relevant information to guests! :lol:

Comment

• dland_lover
                                MiceChat Moderator
                                • Mar 2007

I personally love the DCA board and wish Disneyland would follow suit shortly. I love the comprehensive list. Just because I might not care for a certain attraction doesn't mean there aren't others who do, so I think it's great that they have everything listed.

Comment

• chesirecat
                                  Banned User
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by JMazz View Post

The board in DCA looks like it could receive electronic input, as it looks like there are "wheels" with the numbers on them. Or maybe the CM just has to toggle those wheels, but they could have easily built a board with the average wait times, after all, if the computer says the wait time is 23.5 minutes, they can round up to 25.

DCA definitely still has issues with rides in less frequented areas of the park, and they want to take advantage of the huge crowds that descend on DCA and remind them that there is other stuff.

Comment

• DARTH MAUL
                                    Banned User
                                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by brenden View Post
                                    Yeah, they should stop giving out maps, too. I wish they'd stop gloating about how many attractions they have and delivering relevant information to guests! :lol:
                                    ^That!

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 04:58 PM ----------

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
                                    I personally love the DCA board and wish Disneyland would follow suit shortly. I love the comprehensive list. Just because I might not care for a certain attraction doesn't mean there aren't others who do, so I think it's great that they have everything listed.
                                    agreed

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                                    Too lazy? Please explain this!
                                    I'm saying that shortchanging people because an app exist, would be lazy their part. Not everyone follows such trends.

Comment

• chesirecat
                                      Banned User
                                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by brenden View Post
                                      It'd be cool if they had more than one wait board. Even though there are apps out there, it would be nice to have a board in Tomorrowland that you could reference before traversing across the park to see how the line for Splash Mountain is.
                                      I wouldn't like wait signs everywhere, especially if there were more inclusive of all the rides. It makes sense to put one on Main Street because that is the gateway to Disneyland, and you decide which land to enter at the hub.

The info is great to have, and the apps are really great in that respect as you can check it everywhere. Even if they put one in Tomorrowland, you'd have to hike over to see it if you're on the wrong side, so even with a sign in every land, the app is better, you can use the app while in line for one ride to plot our your next move.
                                      Last edited by chesirecat; 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Quarar44
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2012

For some reason the Disneyland one is always difficult for me to see/get to. I know I'm probably the only one that feels this but the Disneyland one always seems like you need to go out of your way to see it, like you have to look for it while you're crossing the hub. I actually didn't even know it was there until recently. With the DCA one you can kind of see it while you're on your way to your destination. I know this sounds weird but it's just my mentality on it. Simply, DCA's is in a better location,

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X